The Student Room Group

Getting into Optom without chemistry

lkk non
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by AD2019
I am currently studying A Level Biology, A Level Business, A Level Product Design & BTEC Sport. With my predicted grades being AABD*. And live and preferably want to stay in Birmingham for my university degree.

Here is my dilemma. I would like to study optometry. Out of the 5 options I have for UCAS I only have one which is to do a foundation year at aston which would allow me to go onto study optom after one year. This is all because I miss by one subject. A Level Chemistry. Most optom courses want AAA OR AAB (including a minimum of two science subjects from: Biology, Chemistry, Maths or Physics). I really want to study optometry and stay local. I would not mind moving to Manchester or London (busy and diverse cities). Here are my questions.

Can I directly apply to optometry without a foundation year to aston?
Is there another way to get onto optometry that suits me?
Is the foundation year competitive/ Can I get accepted?

I literally am only missing A Level Chemistry. I feel like I have a strong personal statement, academic record and good at interviews.
Any reply I really would appreciate it!

You need to speak to the universities that you’re interested in. It’s likely that anyone applying without chemistry will get rejected (or only offered foundation).

Have you spoken to your college about staying on for an extra year there to take chemistry? That would give you much more choice and would cost considerably less than a foundation year a
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
You need to speak to the universities that you’re interested in. It’s likely that anyone applying without chemistry will get rejected (or only offered foundation).

Have you spoken to your college about staying on for an extra year there to take chemistry? That would give you much more choice and would cost considerably less than a foundation year a

ionoi
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending