The Student Room Group

Additional Funding for new course

Hi,

I failed my first attempt at university due to an issue which I believe qualifies as a compelling personal reason. I then attempted a different degree I believed I could handle out of desperation and finally received treatment and diagnosis for my condition partway through the year, which stabilised me enough to pass. However, after learning more about my condition and struggling with mental health throughout the year, I don’t feel the current course is right for me and would like to switch to a different three-year course more suitable for my difficulties. I am currently back home after suspending entry to year two of the course so I can try therapy and work out my next step.

So I have one failed year (due to the issue), then one passed first year which I feel is not the correct subject for me to continue. I am wondering if I could still qualify for the full three years of funding for a more suitable course, based on compelling personal reasons during my failed first attempt, though I have since completed one year?

Thanks
Original post by lyogs
Hi,

I failed my first attempt at university due to an issue which I believe qualifies as a compelling personal reason. I then attempted a different degree I believed I could handle out of desperation and finally received treatment and diagnosis for my condition partway through the year, which stabilised me enough to pass. However, after learning more about my condition and struggling with mental health throughout the year, I don’t feel the current course is right for me and would like to switch to a different three-year course more suitable for my difficulties. I am currently back home after suspending entry to year two of the course so I can try therapy and work out my next step.

So I have one failed year (due to the issue), then one passed first year which I feel is not the correct subject for me to continue. I am wondering if I could still qualify for the full three years of funding for a more suitable course, based on compelling personal reasons during my failed first attempt, though I have since completed one year?

Thanks

Hi,

We would use the previous study calculation to determine your eligibility for future funding and would take your previous study into account.

3+1-2= 2 Years Entitlement
Your new course duration + 1 gift year - years of previous study = Full entitlement years remaining

For year 1 of your new course you would only receive the Maintenance Loan and for year 2 and 3 you would receive the Maintenance Loan and the Tuition Fee.

If you didn’t finish a previous course for reasons beyond your control, you may be able to get an additional year of funding.
We can accept evidence from your GP or University. We recommend the evidence is signed and dated, on letter headed paper. It will need to confirm the reason(s) why you could not continue with your studies, the impact it had on your studies, and when this took place. You will also need to provide an accompanying covering letter explaining the situation in your own words.

You'll need to send the above evidence in once you submit an application. When does your new 3 year course commence?

Regards, Aisha
Reply 2
Hi,
Yes, I can get a letter explaining the year I failed before from my psychiatrist so that's no problem, I was just worried I wouldn't qualify as I passed the year after
The new course would commence in September 2020, just trying to ascertain whether I'd be eligible for funding before I make my application and withdraw from the course I'm currently suspending.
Many thanks for the quick response!
Hello,

You’re welcome; you’ll be able to apply in spring when the 20/21 applications are due to open. Once you’ve applied then you’ll need to send your compelling personal reasons evidence by post to the following address:

Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ

Thanks, Erin N.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending