The Student Room Group

I'm sick of my parents

I literally have no privacy, I'm twenty years old, but I'm treated like I'm ten. I was forced to come home from a planned trip to go to central with my friends at 7pm. They intended to stay till 11-12. I got so many phone calls and messages spamming me I felt too embarrassed staying around any longer. The worst part was this outing was a friend's birthday, and they'd bought tickets to go winter wonderland for me as well.

I got into a massive argument when I got home, but the blame was thrown on me, and how I am not allowed to go out with boys till 11?? Even though there was a bunch of girls too.

My friends didn't like me much anymore after that.

At home, I can't even have a room for privacy. Being a family of five and living in tiny council accommodation, I have to share a room with my five year old sister, who my Mum often accompanies a lot because she's younger around the house.

I can't even find a place to sit down and study without her coming in and putting her ipad on full volume. When it's 8pm, I can't have the lights on because she needs to sleep, completely stopping me from studying after 8. It's bloody stupid. I don't like studying anywhere else because the house is small and all my books folders and notes are in my room.

I want to go to westfield to catch a movie that's on for only one day. Problem is, it's late at night. Know what my parents said? Can't go without your brother.

MY BROTHER IS THIRTEEN YEARS OLD, WHAT IS THAT EVEN MEANT TO MEAN? HOW IS GOING WITH HIM ANY DIFFERENT??

What I wear is judged, what I talk about is judged. I'm not allowed to do certain things.

In front of relatives, I'm not allowed to do anything. I'm pressured into going into medicine, because they told everyone I'm doing medicine, and if I don't go, I'll be "shaming" the family. I'm essentially not even allowed to do any other university course.

When I get low grades, they scream at me and take away my gaming consoles and phone and leave me with literally nothing.

They criticise my interests in anime and manga and everytime a fight comes round, they always insult everything I do as a hobby. It's because of them I've just gone to hiding all my stuff and just keeping to myself.

This restrictive lifestyle just makes me want to die. I've cried so many times because of how judgemental and controlling my parents are.

all the other girls are flowing with cash, but I'm screamed at if I buy anything above £40. I usually end up only buying one thing for myself very six months because of this. I'm not given an allowance or any kind of money to use freely myself.

I suffer from social anxiety and my parents mock me for being weak-minded and putting this kind of thinking on myself by force? I've had this condition since I was four years old, wtf?? When I get depressive episodes, my mum just gets angry and makes snarky remarks at me and starts listing all my failures and how stupid I am making me feel worse.

my father is even more bad. he just destroys any sense of self-esteem i have. anytime he's home he only shouts at me and insults me.

they've started calling me selfish and threaten me that if I dont get good grades they're going to force me to work at a local restaurant to clean toilets.

I cannot afford to live on my own and am currently in full time education. I'm not allowed to have a job, and spend most of my time when not in college at home.

i honestly feel suffocated.
Sorry to hear you're going though this, unfortunately I suppose it will just be like that when you are living under their roof. Why are you not allowed a job? That sounds unreasonable.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I literally have no privacy, I'm twenty years old, but I'm treated like I'm ten. I was forced to come home from a planned trip to go to central with my friends at 7pm. They intended to stay till 11-12. I got so many phone calls and messages spamming me I felt too embarrassed staying around any longer. The worst part was this outing was a friend's birthday, and they'd bought tickets to go winter wonderland for me as well.

I got into a massive argument when I got home, but the blame was thrown on me, and how I am not allowed to go out with boys till 11?? Even though there was a bunch of girls too.

At home, I can't even have a room for privacy. Being a family of five and living in tiny council accommodation, I have to share a room with my five year old sister, who my Mum often accompanies a lot because she's younger around the house.

I can't even find a place to sit down and study without her coming in and putting her ipad on full volume. When it's 8pm, I can't have the lights on because she needs to sleep, completely stopping me from studying after 8. It's bloody stupid. I don't like studying anywhere else because the house is small and all my books folders and notes are in my room.

I want to go to westfield to catch a movie that's on for only one day. Problem is, it's late at night. Know what my parents said? Can't go without your brother.

MY BROTHER IS THIRTEEN YEARS OLD, WHAT IS THAT EVEN MEANT TO MEAN? HOW IS GOING WITH HIM ANY DIFFERENT??

What I wear is judged, what I talk about is judged. I'm not allowed to do certain things.

In front of relatives, I'm not allowed to do anything. I'm pressured into going into medicine, because they told everyone I'm doing medicine, and if I don't go, I'll be "shaming" the family. I'm essentially not even allowed to do any other university course.

When I get low grades, they scream at me and take away my gaming consoles and phone and leave me with literally nothing.

They criticise my interests in anime and manga and everytime a fight comes round, they always insult everything I do as a hobby. It's because of them I've just gone to hiding all my stuff and just keeping to myself.

This restrictive lifestyle just makes me want to die. I've cried so many times because of how judgemental and controlling my parents are.

all the other girls are flowing with cash, but I'm screamed at if I buy anything above £40. I usually end up only buying one thing for myself very six months because of this. I'm not given an allowance or any kind of money to use freely myself.

I suffer from social anxiety and my parents mock me for being weak-minded and putting this kind of thinking on myself by force? I've had this condition since I was four years old, wtf?? When I get depressive episodes, my mum just gets angry and makes snarky remarks at me and starts listing all my failures and how stupid I am making me feel worse.

my father is even more bad. he just destroys any sense of self-esteem i have. anytime he's home he only shouts at me and insults me.

they've started calling me selfish and threaten me that if I dont get good grades they're going to force me to work at a local restaurant to clean toilets.

I cannot afford to live on my own and am currently in full time education. I'm not allowed to have a job, and spend most of my time when not in college at home.

It is not surprising that yiu have confidence issues, social anxiety snd even panic attacks! You are being crushed by a toxic family set up.
So now the issue is: where is your plan for your life? You need to plan your leaving home date! The medical career is to do with the ego of your parents and nothing to do with you! What do you actually want for yourself? You haven't said? What do you believe in?
You are not even allowed to fall in love! Ridiculous.
A person who has energy enough to complain has energy enough to stand up and start sorting out their life.
So the plan: where do you get money from? You are an adult. Can you sign on for unemployment benefit? You need yo start up a bank account and start saving money.
Don't just study! That is about your parents! Plan your own life. Don't discuss your plans with your family!
Do you have any friends?
Can you move out and stay with friends?
Your essential job is to be secretive and plan to move out and then go for counselling because your parents have wrecked your self esteem!
Original post by Anonymous

Well it isn't for ever. Just keep your head down and work. In a few years time you will be away from there. You aren't a failure, nor are you stupid.

My daughter has a friend - from South Asia. Her parents were similar. When she invited herself to our home for Christmas lunch ( wanted to experience one ) her dad sat outside the whole time. Refused tea, food - everything. She went to university and graduated. Tells her parents she is living with a girl from the same community. In reality she is living with a white boy - been together a couple of years.

What you need os for your parents to get off your back, so don't give them excuses eh

It is your parents loss at the end of the day
Damn that sucks sorry to hear that. Well your priority I suppose is to try and move out. This kind of environment is not going to be healthy for you long term. What are your future plans? Ignore your parents, my mum's an immigrant and she's exactly like that, she thinks I should go into medicine or something just because 'You have the opportunity and I didn't'. It's YOUR future, and no one should ever go into a career unless they are entirely sure they want to do it.
Remember, you're an adult. Make them see you as one and respect you for it (I know how it feels when you parents are so irrational you juts want to scream at them).
As for 'not allowed to have a job', YES YOU ARE. Tell them you are an adult and have the right to work wherever you wish! Plus wouldn't cleaning toilets still be a job to them? That's your ticket to independence, and to be honest it's gonna be hard for you to leave home without one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending