The Student Room Group

Help

Hi so im trying to get into nottingham university andd im so stressed because my current grades or a level are ABCC andd its likely to go up to ABBC but i need AAB to meet entry requirements. Honestly nottingham is the place i really want to go and my other options are just backuos but i wouldnt enjoy going there. Do you think theres anything i could do or iff they may accept mee. Please helpp or talk esp if your a nottingham uni studentt 😭

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mk_c18
Hi so im trying to get into nottingham university andd im so stressed because my current grades or a level are ABCC andd its likely to go up to ABBC but i need AAB to meet entry requirements. Honestly nottingham is the place i really want to go and my other options are just backuos but i wouldnt enjoy going there. Do you think theres anything i could do or iff they may accept mee. Please helpp or talk esp if your a nottingham uni studentt 😭

Why are you taking 4 A levels if you’re struggling to get the grades you want from 3?
Original post by mk_c18

I agree that you should have been focussing on 3 A levels not 4 in Year 13, that would have made it easier to achieve the grades you need for Nottingham. What course are you applying for and what A level subjects are you doing?
Reply 3
Well im taking Business, English lit. History and Psychology. The reason for my lower grades is that my teacher wont predixt anyone higher than a B so im stuck with ABBC. Eventhough i did get high grades in all previous exams including AS. I want to study business managemenet at nottingham.
Original post by mk_c18
Well im taking Business, English lit. History and Psychology. The reason for my lower grades is that my teacher wont predixt anyone higher than a B so im stuck with ABBC. Eventhough i did get high grades in all previous exams including AS. I want to study business managemenet at nottingham.

Have you got a link, I wasnt aware Nottingham offered a business management course, business yes, management yes .. but combined?
Original post by mk_c18

Do you think you can get AAB? Predictions aren’t normally that important but there’s no point getting an AAB offer if you don’t think you can get the grades.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Do you think you can get AAB? Predictions aren’t normally that important but there’s no point getting an AAB offer if you don’t think you can get the grades.

Yea ofcourse I can. The only reason my grades werent all AAAA is because ive had some family emergencies going on which caused my attendance to drop a little. But i knoww i can get all A’s if i tried. I dont know if unis really consider GCSE’s but mine were one of the highest in the year. The only problem i have right now is getting the predicted grades i need to get an offer and not be rejected. I know i can get the grades
Reply 7
Original post by PQ

Original post by mnot
Have you got a link, I wasnt aware Nottingham offered a business management course, business yes, management yes .. but combined?

Yes they do actually they offer both Business Management and International Business Management. If you check for courses on their website and search up management or you should be able to find it under the M courses search list.
Original post by mk_c18
Yea ofcourse I can. The only reason my grades werent all AAAA is because ive had some family emergencies going on which caused my attendance to drop a little. But i knoww i can get all A’s if i tried. I dont know if unis really consider GCSE’s but mine were one of the highest in the year. The only problem i have right now is getting the predicted grades i need to get an offer and not be rejected. I know i can get the grades

Ring up Nottingham on the 2nd and explain your predictions and that you’re confident that you’ll exceed them and ask whether your predicted grades are a problem.
Original post by mk_c18
Yes they do actually they offer both Business Management and International Business Management. If you check for courses on their website and search up management or you should be able to find it under the M courses search list.

do you have a link?
This is uni of your talking about?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by mnot
do you have a link?
This is uni of your talking about?

I think they just mean Management BSc.

@mk_c18: Is this the course you are looking at?

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course/Management-BSc
Original post by mk_c18

Nottingham won’t accept you. I applied for a course there that was AAB and I was predicted A*A*A but they rejected me because I didn’t have a B in maths gcse. You best bet if you really want to go there is to work really hard at A Levels and try and apply through clearing/adjustment.
Original post by Admit-One
I think they just mean Management BSc.

@mk_c18: Is this the course you are looking at?

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course/Management-BSc

Thats what i thought, I was hoping OP wasnt getting too excited for a course that doesnt exist.
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
Nottingham won’t accept you. I applied for a course there that was AAB and I was predicted A*A*A but they rejected me because I didn’t have a B in maths gcse. You best bet if you really want to go there is to work really hard at A Levels and try and apply through clearing/adjustment.

There’s a difference between not having an essential subject at GCSE and being considered as a near miss candidate with AL predictions/results. Uni’s are much much likely to be flexible with the latter.

The OP should also follows Notts process for mitigating circumstances.
Original post by Admit-One
There’s a difference between not having an essential subject at GCSE and being considered as a near miss candidate with AL predictions/results. Uni’s are much much likely to be flexible with the latter.

The OP should also follows Notts process for mitigating circumstances.

I had major extenuating circumstances with my GCSE’s as I took them all whilst critically ill in hospital. They still didn’t offer and they were made fully aware in my college reference.
I had major extenuating circumstances with my GCSE’s as I took them all whilst critically ill in hospital. They still didn’t offer and they were made fully aware in my college reference.

Universities expect applicants who don’t meet essential GCSE requirements to resit alongside their A levels.

Predicted A level grades carry less weight than complete GCSEs that don’t meet requirements.
Original post by PQ
Universities expect applicants who don’t meet essential GCSE requirements to resit alongside their A levels.

Predicted A level grades carry less weight than complete GCSEs that don’t meet requirements

Durham, Manchester, UCL accepted me, and I passed my Cambridge interview and got into the winter pool. Nottingham stick to their entry requirements and won’t budge. A friend at college applied to Nottingham as well. Got all the GCSE requirements (B -A* in everything) and was required to get AAB at A Level but was predicted A*BB. He was rejected. Someone from a different college who I was in primary with needed ABB was predicted 4 B’s and was rejected. Unless you have personal experience with applying to Nottingham uni and getting an offer despite not having the entry requirements then you shouldn’t be offering false hope to OP. I’m not saying that they shouldn’t apply to Nottingham, and I hope that my experiences are not going to be repeated with their application, but I’m just saying that they need to be prepared to be told no, and that if that happens they should try through clearing or adjustment on results day.
Durham, Manchester, UCL accepted me, and I passed my Cambridge interview and got into the winter pool. Nottingham stick to their entry requirements and won’t budge. A friend at college applied to Nottingham as well. Got all the GCSE requirements (B -A* in everything) and was required to get AAB at A Level but was predicted A*BB. He was rejected. Someone from a different college who I was in primary with needed ABB was predicted 4 B’s and was rejected. Unless you have personal experience with applying to Nottingham uni and getting an offer despite not having the entry requirements then you shouldn’t be offering false hope to OP. I’m not saying that they shouldn’t apply to Nottingham, and I hope that my experiences are not going to be repeated with their application, but I’m just saying that they need to be prepared to be told no, and that if that happens they should try through clearing or adjustment on results day.

The course OP is applying to makes offers to 77% of applicants.

Your rejection for missing a GCSE requirement or a friend getting rejected with high predictions doesn’t indicate anything about how the OP will do (especially when universities put little to NO weight on predicted grades).
Original post by PQ
The course OP is applying to makes offers to 77% of applicants.

Your rejection for missing a GCSE requirement or a friend getting rejected with high predictions doesn’t indicate anything about how the OP will do (especially when universities put little to NO weight on predicted grades).

I’m not going to argue. I have told OP of my view and you have told them yours.

You had two years after your GCSE's to retake an essential subject.

Again, Uni's are much more likely to be lenient with AL results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending