The Student Room Group

RAF ACL injury

Just wondering whether anybody has ever got through the RAF medical following an ACL reconstruction? My operation was nearly 10 years ago, I’ve played sport to a high level since, in the gym 5 times a week and have a job where I’m on my feet all day (average 40,000 steps!). My knee has never caused me a problem - it was borderline needing the op at the time (went a year before I had it done) so seem silly to be completely out of my application before it even starts? Looking to join as Int Officer if that makes a difference?
Thank you!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I know someone who did, but it was a long time ago and it was after they'd already been awarded a university bursary...

And, fyi, it's Int Officer. Not Intel, that's yank speak.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
I know someone who did, but it was a long time ago and it was after they'd already been awarded a university bursary...

And, fyi, it's Int Officer. Not Intel, that's yank speak.

Thank you! I had a word with the careers office and all they could tell me is that it’s on an individual basis, completely understand but everything I’ve read is telling me I have no chance! 🙈
Reply 3
Original post by miss_barber
Thank you! I had a word with the careers office and all they could tell me is that it’s on an individual basis, completely understand but everything I’ve read is telling me I have no chance! 🙈

Only way you'll know is by applying.
Just wondering whether anybody has ever got through the RAF medical following an ACL reconstruction? My operation was nearly 10 years ago, I’ve played sport to a high level since, in the gym 5 times a week and have a job where I’m on my feet all day (average 40,000 steps!). My knee has never caused me a problem - it was borderline needing the op at the time (went a year before I had it done) so seem silly to be completely out of my application before it even starts? Looking to join as Int Officer if that makes a difference?
Thank you!

Hi

As has already been advised, the only way to find out is to apply and have it looked at during your medical. If you meet all of the entry and eligibility criteria listed on the role page on the RAF Recruitment website then you can submit an application.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 5
I'm due to have an ACL operation and currently having second thoughts for this exact reason... Let me know if you're able too!
I had ACL reconstruction about 2.5 years ago and would really like to join any of the forces. If anyone has been accepted recently with the same and can share any insight that would be amazing . .
What role are you going in to in the raf
Thank you!

Did you have any update on joining with your acl

Quick Reply

Latest