The Student Room Group

Why doesn't he dump me?

I'm not gonna go into it, but my bf doesn't love me / care about me anymore, he's not there for me, he doesn't want to talk to me, he's admitted I'm a burden, he's not sexually attracted to me anymore, I'm his bottom priority, he doesn't miss me while at uni, etc. He doesn't admit it, except giving indication when I probe him on his feelings, but the change and his inconsistency and behaviour proves it.

Throughout the whole relationship I've told him I don't mind if he found someone else and broke up with me, so long he doesn't cheat and does it respectfully. I really don't put pressure on for him to stay with me, quite the opposite.

He is arrogant, very friendly and confident, talks to lots of girls etc so he knows or thinks he could easily get a new gf. He also has a very busy life with lots of hobbies and studies hard. He is a very stable person and doesn't lean on me at all.

I feel like us breaking up is an inevitability, so what reason would he have for staying with me and carrying on some sort of pretence that he still loves me? I just don't understand, unless he's keeping me as a backup?
Why don’t....you break up with him? It’s the 21st century and it sounds like he’s treating you like sh*t.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not gonna go into it, but my bf doesn't love me / care about me anymore, he's not there for me, he doesn't want to talk to me, he's admitted I'm a burden, he's not sexually attracted to me anymore, I'm his bottom priority, he doesn't miss me while at uni, etc. He doesn't admit it, except giving indication when I probe him on his feelings, but the change and his inconsistency and behaviour proves it.

Throughout the whole relationship I've told him I don't mind if he found someone else and broke up with me, so long he doesn't cheat and does it respectfully. I really don't put pressure on for him to stay with me, quite the opposite.

He is arrogant, very friendly and confident, talks to lots of girls etc so he knows or thinks he could easily get a new gf. He also has a very busy life with lots of hobbies and studies hard. He is a very stable person and doesn't lean on me at all.

I feel like us breaking up is an inevitability, so what reason would he have for staying with me and carrying on some sort of pretence that he still loves me? I just don't understand, unless he's keeping me as a backup?

Why not break up with him?
Many people have a bad habit of clinging to someone they're not happy with until someone better comes along. It's usually out of habit, not wanting to lose the friendship, or to avoid loneliness.
Original post by Torigracex
Why don’t....you break up with him? It’s the 21st century and it sounds like he’s treating you like sh*t.

Exactly what should happen don't worry about the guy and let him distract you from your studies, you'll easily find someone else there's tons of single students at uni
Reply 5
But he's the one who has basically ruined the relationship and I still love him, I know I should leave him but I still want to know why he's doing this and I think he should break up with me
Original post by Anonymous
But he's the one who has basically ruined the relationship and I still love him, I know I should leave him but I still want to know why he's doing this and I think he should break up with me

If he doesn’t love you anymore he’s not going to give you an answer as to why he’s acting like this. If you want to give yourself more heart break waiting around for HIM to break up with you then that’s your choice.
Reply 7
Original post by sinfonietta
Many people have a bad habit of clinging to someone they're not happy with until someone better comes along. It's usually out of habit, not wanting to lose the friendship, or to avoid loneliness.

There's certainly the familiarity and bond or shared history, he does occasionally say he misses our hugs bc it makes him feel loved, but he has lots of friends at uni and has kept in touch with all his school friends
Maybe his family like you, you're his official gf away from uni and he's willing to keep you as a backup option for after uni?

I've been in similar situations.
One ex bf was constantly preaching religion, wouldn't stop trying to convert me and insulting all my friends.
He rarely seemed to have anything positive to say to me, I kept waiting for him to talk about breaking up but he never did.
In the end, I had enough of his nonsense and dumped him.

Life is too short to allow yourself to be trapped in a bad relationship with the wrong guy.
Every day you waste hoping things will change or he will dump you is just another wasted opportunity to be enjoying your life or looking for the right bf.
You will never get the lost time back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending