The Student Room Group

Educating myself on transgender issues - Plz help

Hey I'm a cis gal and I dont know any trans people and live in a very conservative rural area so I honestly dont know anything about transgender issues. I dont want to have to make trans people online explain everything to me and i dont really use social media that much. Does anyone have resources which I can use to educate myself on this topic?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just watch some good YouTuber like Blaire White.

I didn't even know '******' was a slur until someone told me when I was 17
I know you've said you don't want to make trans people explain it to you but, provided it's done tactfully, that's the best way. People have suggested YouTubers like Blaire White and while she's ok if you want to learn purely about binary trans people - specifically trans women, her takes on non-binary folk are really quite bad, so be sure to seek out and read the stories of more than just her (also her story is not necessarily that of all binary trans women either). I'd lurk in places like r/asktransgender (although be prepared to sift through a few hundred "Am I Trans?" threads for every more general question) or yeah, drop me a pm and I'll answer some questions where I can
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi, I'm a transgender man (female to male). I'd be happy to answer a few questions if you'd like :smile:
I'm trans so i'd be happy to answer your questions, but the hard and fast rules are this:
-Yes we exist
-No we are not automatically into drag, though there are trans drag performers
-Trans people can be gay or straight like everyone else
-No it isn't a fetish
-Not everyone always knew.
Just call us the names we request and everything should be fine.
I think the youtuber contrapoints is great if you want to learn more about political debates surrounding trans people, although I understand you probably just want to learn more general stuff.
Reply 6
Hi, I'm genderflux (or genderfluid, I don't mind tbh) and also living in a conservative area so feel free to ask me anything, I like talking about it online. But most just remember:
1. Use the pronouns they ask you to use
2. Use the name they ask you to use (and don't try to guess the old one)
3. It is who we are, not a choice we make
What specifically do you want to know?
Thank you so much for everyone replying! In regards to questions, I super appreciate you all for putting yourself forward, but i think my problem is that I'm just lost and know nothing on the subject in general, I think things I need to know are what are the biggest oppositions or problems trans people face? how to be accepting and supportive without being patronising, whats a problem that people dont know about or talk about and MOST IMPORTANTLY what, if anything, I can do to help. Thank you so much for all the points, I really appreciate this.
Original post by C1Fraser
Hi, I'm genderflux (or genderfluid, I don't mind tbh) and also living in a conservative area so feel free to ask me anything, I like talking about it online. But most just remember:
1. Use the pronouns they ask you to use
2. Use the name they ask you to use (and don't try to guess the old one)
3. It is who we are, not a choice we make

Hi! Thanks so much for replying - Ive heard of genderfluidity but I have never heard of genderflux, do you think you could explain what it means to be either, is it identifying with neither male or female or as something seperate? Sorry if i sound super dumb i just have NO clue what im talking about. Are your pronouns they?
Biggest issues are general bigotry (eg. people just hating us for just trying to get on in life. I've been shouted at in the street and stuff before), really long waiting times for any kind of medical intervention (I've been on it for 1 1/2 years and still haven't heard anything), and very high suicide rates (40% attempt, 60% consider).
If you want to be supportive that's great. For me (and this may differ depending on the person) I really prefer it when people treat it as more a non-issue. I do tell people I will likely be spending a lot of time with (eg. school I volunteer at, staff know, students don't). My advice if anyone comes out would be to say something like 'wow, thank you for telling me, I understand that must have been really hard for you. Is there a way I can best support you?' and just be there to listen sometimes because being trans is ****. It's really terrible and I think that's something a lot of people don't realise.
I'd just like to say though that the fact you're going out of your way to get better educated trying to better understand how to support trans people-so many people won't even do that.
Original post by buzzybuzzybea
Hi! Thanks so much for replying - Ive heard of genderfluidity but I have never heard of genderflux, do you think you could explain what it means to be either, is it identifying with neither male or female or as something seperate? Sorry if i sound super dumb i just have NO clue what im talking about. Are your pronouns they?

Oh don't worry about not knowing, we all start off not knowing and you are being brilliant for trying to learn more! Genderflux is similar to being Genderfluid except instead of changing between male, female, agender, bigender, etc. the intensity of my gender changes. So I may be fully female, or partially female, or completely agender but I am never male. They are very similar and therefore I don't mind being called genderfluid (other people might idk). \

As for pronouns, I only use she/her on fully female days, which are few and far between, and instead mostly use they/them. I know it's confusing but if you meet someone who is genderflux or genderfluid and use the wrong pronoun, just apologise, correct yourself, and move on. Also sometimes they will have a bracelet or badge which says their pronouns on it. And if in doubt, use they because it can be used to refer to any gender.
I hope this helps! (And makes some sense)
Original post by C1Fraser
Oh don't worry about not knowing, we all start off not knowing and you are being brilliant for trying to learn more! Genderflux is similar to being Genderfluid except instead of changing between male, female, agender, bigender, etc. the intensity of my gender changes. So I may be fully female, or partially female, or completely agender but I am never male. They are very similar and therefore I don't mind being called genderfluid (other people might idk). \

As for pronouns, I only use she/her on fully female days, which are few and far between, and instead mostly use they/them. I know it's confusing but if you meet someone who is genderflux or genderfluid and use the wrong pronoun, just apologise, correct yourself, and move on. Also sometimes they will have a bracelet or badge which says their pronouns on it. And if in doubt, use they because it can be used to refer to any gender.
I hope this helps! (And makes some sense)

You explained this so well thank you so much, I feel I've learnt a whole new thing I didn't even know existed. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me - can i also ask, will all people who identify the same way you do also have the same feelings and pronouns, or can it vary while under the same name?
Original post by remussjhj01
Biggest issues are general bigotry (eg. people just hating us for just trying to get on in life. I've been shouted at in the street and stuff before), really long waiting times for any kind of medical intervention (I've been on it for 1 1/2 years and still haven't heard anything), and very high suicide rates (40% attempt, 60% consider).
If you want to be supportive that's great. For me (and this may differ depending on the person) I really prefer it when people treat it as more a non-issue. I do tell people I will likely be spending a lot of time with (eg. school I volunteer at, staff know, students don't). My advice if anyone comes out would be to say something like 'wow, thank you for telling me, I understand that must have been really hard for you. Is there a way I can best support you?' and just be there to listen sometimes because being trans is ****. It's really terrible and I think that's something a lot of people don't realise.
I'd just like to say though that the fact you're going out of your way to get better educated trying to better understand how to support trans people-so many people won't even do that.

Thank you SO much for this it was super helpful. I didnt even have a clue about the medical issues and the response to someone coming out will be something I remember. I really appreciate you taking the time to educate me.
You explained this so well thank you so much, I feel I've learnt a whole new thing I didn't even know existed. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me - can i also ask, will all people who identify the same way you do also have the same feelings and pronouns, or can it vary while under the same name?

No problem at all, I really happy you care enough to find out more!
I can't speak for everyone because being genderfluid or genderflux is confusing tbh. But as far as I am aware (from reading blogs by other genderflux and genderfluid people), the way they experience gender (how them being a certain gender affects how they dress and act) and when their gender changes (hourly, daily, etc.) is different from person to person. Some people choose to keep the same name all the time, others change it for each gender). Some people find their pronoun important, others don't. I think the best thing to do is to ask. When I leave home (and the conservative area) I'm going to start introducing myself with my pronouns.
E.g. Hi my name is Charlie, they them pronouns.
It's useful because it gives the person the chance to specify, if they don't tell you them then they probably using the pronouns that you assume they are (most trans people would know how to answer). If you're worried about using the wrong pronouns, I would recommend you use this too. The key thing is, if in doubt ask, most won't mind if you are pollite about it.
Reply 15
Hey I'm a cis gal and I dont know any trans people and live in a very conservative rural area so I honestly dont know anything about transgender issues. I dont want to have to make trans people online explain everything to me and i dont really use social media that much. Does anyone have resources which I can use to educate myself on this topic?

Hey! As a trans guy I would say that the main thing about trans issues is being open to conversation. I was quite a lot of people’s first trans people they have met and explains to them what it was and pronouns and sometimes topics which can we awkward to talk about was important. Some youtubers like Sam Collins and Jamie Dodger (ftm) and London (mtf) have some good videos on trans topics specifically aimed at cis people to educate them. Jammidodger is Jamie’s youtube channel and it is very good for explaining for cis people. If you have any specific questions, feel free to private message me and ask
I'm really happy to see how productive and constructive this thread is - let's keep it this way :smile:
hi... would using they/them pronouns for binary trans people offend them (before and after finding out their pronouns)? currently i think its safer than using their dead pronouns (if that's what they're called) by accident but still i just want to make sure i don't hurt anyone... thanks......
Original post by adsfllhadklhadfh
hi... would using they/them pronouns for binary trans people offend them (before and after finding out their pronouns)? currently i think its safer than using their dead pronouns (if that's what they're called) by accident but still i just want to make sure i don't hurt anyone... thanks......

Depends on the person. Certainly before learning their pronouns it's fine, even after for many it wouldn't be an issue for casual use (people can of course use multiple sets of pronouns). Where you might well run into an issue is knowing their pronouns, knowing that those pronouns aren't they/them and making an effort to only use they/them, rather than the persons pronouns - some won't care, some might consider it in effect "soft misgendering", in that you're not actively misgendering them by using the set they've transitioned from, but deliberately refusing to use their pronouns and only use gender neutral ones could be seen as a refusal to acknowledge their gender.

Safest practice is just to use the set they prefer once you know, but generally even if you slip up occasionally people will tend to understand if they see there isn't intent to get it wrong.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Depends on the person. Certainly before learning their pronouns it's fine, even after for many it wouldn't be an issue for casual use (people can of course use multiple sets of pronouns). Where you might well run into an issue is knowing their pronouns, knowing that those pronouns aren't they/them and making an effort to only use they/them, rather than the persons pronouns - some won't care, some might consider it in effect "soft misgendering", in that you're not actively misgendering them by using the set they've transitioned from, but deliberately refusing to use their pronouns and only use gender neutral ones could be seen as a refusal to acknowledge their gender.

Safest practice is just to use the set they prefer once you know, but generally even if you slip up occasionally people will tend to understand if they see there isn't intent to get it wrong.

ok thank you! \(^o^)/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending