The Student Room Group

HELPP! :( My sister found out that I'm gay and is going to tell my homophobic mum :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Be careful what you wish for ! You shouldn't be laughing at other people's misery. Keep your sarcasm to yourself.

I wasn't literally laughing wtf

And I genuinely suggested that op move out if his family doesn't accept him??? What is wrong with the people on here attacking someone for being practical...
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you everyone for the advice, they helped me to calm down and I was able to concentrate on the exams because of you guys! :hugs:

Update, so I don't think my sister has told my mum yet, I think they discussed something else last night (I heard then laughing as well probably no the reaction if she found out that I'm gay). Plus, she didn't say anything to me, she was her usual self. Last night she asked me why I was worried I lied and said its because of my exams and pat me on my head and said I'll smash the exams which was nice of her. I was going to come out then, but I got really scared and nervous so I didn't. I don't think I can come out to her at least not this soon anyways.
I think my sister is keeping it against me. She's passive aggressive saying things in front of mum to 'scare' me. For example we were talking about corona virus and she said I got and "issue" and my mum need to "fix me". She's emotionally blackmailing me and its making really uncomfortable. :frown: I can't talk even talk to her. She's being so aggressive.

And I did some thinking and I really don't want to come out, firstly my mum isn't gong to react well and I have to talk about literally everything about being gay and explain to her thats its okay be gay. Secondly she'll start restricting things like my iPhone/ iPad or she'll set like a curfew (she has done that before for some other reasons) and I don't want that to happen in the exam season! My A-levels are 2 months away and I have bigger things to worry about right now :frown:

Maybe if I just ignore my sister she'll stop torturing me after some time and I'll come out to my mum after my exams?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 22
I think she won't let on before your exams. She wouldn't want to be blamed if you didn't do well. She will be aware of how important good grades are to parents.
Original post by Evidza
I think she won't let on before your exams. She wouldn't want to be blamed if you didn't do well. She will be aware of how important good grades are to parents.

I was thinking that too, hopefully she wont. But she keeps emotionally blackmailing me :frown: Hope she stops that as well
Reply 24
Hope so. The novelty should soon fade.
Original post by Shibu the Doge
Thank you everyone for the advice, they helped me to calm down and I was able to concentrate on the exams because of you guys! :hugs:

Update, so I don't think my sister has told my mum yet, I think they discussed something else last night (I heard then laughing as well probably no the reaction if she found out that I'm gay). Plus, she didn't say anything to me, she was her usual self. Last night she asked me why I was worried I lied and said its because of my exams and pat me on my head and said I'll smash the exams which was nice of her. I was going to come out then, but I got really scared and nervous so I didn't. I don't think I can come out to her at least not this soon anyways.
I think my sister is keeping it against me. She's passive aggressive saying things in front of mum to 'scare' me. For example we were talking about corona virus and she said I got and "issue" and my mum need to "fix me". She's emotionally blackmailing me and its making really uncomfortable. :frown: I can't talk even talk to her. She's being so aggressive.

And I did some thinking and I really don't want to come out, firstly my mum isn't gong to react well and I have to talk about literally everything about being gay and explain to her thats its okay be gay. Secondly she'll start restricting things like my iPhone/ iPad or she'll set like a curfew (she has done that before for some other reasons) and I don't want that to happen in the exam season! My A-levels are 2 months away and I have bigger things to worry about right now :frown:

Maybe if I just ignore my sister she'll stop torturing me after some time and I'll come out to my mum after my exams?

Firstly, well done on your exam
Moving on. Your sister is behaving incredibly immaturely. To be expected at her age. I don’t think she has any intention of telling mum tbh. I think instead she prefers the power she thinks she has over you. However much she bothers you with her snide comments, don’t ever let her see that it does. Keep your face and language neutral and don’t rise to it. I promise you that she will get bored of it.
Ultimately as you appear to be a close family I don’t think she wants to cause that much trouble really. She’s enjoying winding up her big brother.
She probably more open to it than your parents and she knows how much damage she will do. She doesn’t want that deep down.
Try to concentrate on your exams for now and you can decide when the time is right.
I too have a close family and my lads know that whilst I may rant and rave for a while, they can tell me anything and when my initial reaction has blown over we can solve anything together.
I’d guess your mum is the same. She may struggle to start with but she loves you very much and that won’t change
You know her best so you can decide when it’s appropriate. That may be when you go to uni, when you each have your own space to process the situation in your own ways.
I’m sure it will be ok but you can pm me anytime
I was thinking that too, hopefully she wont. But she keeps emotionally blackmailing me :frown: Hope she stops that as well

What do you mean, emotionally blackmailing you?
I think I'm having a panic attack right now omg :frown: Basically today I (17M) was revising for my exam today and I went to have a break, but I forgot to lock my iPad (STUPID STUPID STUPID!) my iPad syncs photos that is on my iPhone (iCloud) and I had a bunch of screenshots LGBT memes, pride stuff and etc. When I came back from the break I saw my sister (who is 15) go through my iPad. At first I didn't think much of it but as soon as she saw me she quickly closed the app she was in and I saw she had her camera app open on her iPhone. She had this cynical look on her face and told me "I'm gonna tell everything to mum and your life will be destroyed" and she ran away then I realised what she meant and what she was doing on my iPad. I think I was shocked and scared that I didn't move for like 5 minutes. I went on my iPad and from screen time I was able to see what was she doing. She has been on photos and messages for fifteen minutes. :frown: :frown: I have LGBT friends so I have texted them about LGBT stuff and my sister probably saw that and my phots as well :frown: I'm really scared now... She keeps rubbing it in my face and says how "disgusting" I am and how I need to "fix myself". I didn't know my sister was homophobic oh well I guess she is. I dont really care about her as we aren't that close and I dont have a good relationship with her anyways.
I'm worried about my mum. To give context family is from Asia and my parents are very backwards. Once I told my mum that my friend is trans (ftm) and she was so confused about that and it was so hard for her to get her head around it (I was surprised since she was a doctor and dont doctors know about those stuff???) after that she told me not to hang out with him and said that there's "something wrong with him" and he can "harm and affect me". Also not that long ago, I was buying 7 face towels and I got a pink one among other several colours and she told me to put back the pink one. I obviously know what she meant by that but I asked her "whats wrong with pink its just a colour" and then she got a little mad and grabbed it from me and said pink aren't for boys its only for girls.<---- Thats how backwards my mum is. I dont know why my parents are homophobic, they are buddhists and buddhism doesn't have anything against lgbt people. Maybe its because our south asian culture. :frown:
Anyways my mum not abusive or anything she loves me very much but I'm scared that she might think me being gay is just a problem that can be fixed or she might think that gay people are 'mentally ill people that harm children' (she has said something along the lines of that). And I don't want her to love me less and I don't want her to see me like I'm a pedo that do bad stuff :frown: I hate my sister so much I'm not ready to come out yet I was think of coming out when I go to uni or something but not right now :frown: I got a mock exam tomorrow as well I'm so scared I dont know what to do :frown:

tl;dr - my sister told my homophobic mum that I'm gay and I dont know what to do :frown:

Hi, Is everything alright now?
Does your mother knows about that?

The other day I was chatting on this forum about LGTB things and I left my phone unlocked on the table and my brother almost sees it. 😪 .
I hope your mother doesn't finds out that you are gay now, and when you that happens, that she'll accept it.
Reply 28
sounds like your sister is keeping this secret in an attempt to have some power over you. if you have minor arguments expect her to threaten you with it. if you have a major falling out, expect her to "tell"

she was not taking "photos" for nothing.

Everyone here is trying to be positive and saying she won't tell, but truth is ...it is highly likely she will use it against you in future or blackmail you at some point.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Sammylou40
Firstly, well done on your exam
Moving on. Your sister is behaving incredibly immaturely. To be expected at her age. I don’t think she has any intention of telling mum tbh. I think instead she prefers the power she thinks she has over you. However much she bothers you with her snide comments, don’t ever let her see that it does. Keep your face and language neutral and don’t rise to it. I promise you that she will get bored of it.
Ultimately as you appear to be a close family I don’t think she wants to cause that much trouble really. She’s enjoying winding up her big brother.
She probably more open to it than your parents and she knows how much damage she will do. She doesn’t want that deep down.
Try to concentrate on your exams for now and you can decide when the time is right.
I too have a close family and my lads know that whilst I may rant and rave for a while, they can tell me anything and when my initial reaction has blown over we can solve anything together.
I’d guess your mum is the same. She may struggle to start with but she loves you very much and that won’t change
You know her best so you can decide when it’s appropriate. That may be when you go to uni, when you each have your own space to process the situation in your own ways.
I’m sure it will be ok but you can pm me anytime

Sometimes I want to bottle you and hand them out across TSR. Such a lovely, thoughtful yet practical post :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
Sometimes I want to bottle you and hand them out across TSR. Such a lovely, thoughtful yet practical post :smile:

Ty 😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending