The Student Room Group

Dropping my best-friend

I have recently realised that my best-friend is quite selfish and uses me a lot and never adds anything to the friendship, and I have had enough.
I am trying to detach myself so I will be able to do so effectively. However, it’s difficult when we get along so well even if he is self-centered.

How do I tell my best friend, I don’t want to be as close anymore and don’t want to be best friends, just associates (a friend I just speak to at school)? Thanks
Its sad to hear that the friendship isn't working out but I suppose people do change over time. While we are in lockdown maybe don't message him as some distance may make you realise you do value the friendship or you will both drift apart from each-other.

However it is important to do it nicely as it could really affect the other person losing their best friend. If they ask if there is something wrong then the best approach is to have a discussion about it. As awkward as it may be, they deserve to be told the truth and you will feel better getting it off your chest rather than playing games.
Original post by Olo123
I have recently realised that my best-friend is quite selfish and uses me a lot and never adds anything to the friendship, and I have had enough.
I am trying to detach myself so I will be able to do so effectively. However, it’s difficult when we get along so well even if he is self-centered.

How do I tell my best friend, I don’t want to be as close anymore and don’t want to be best friends, just associates (a friend I just speak to at school)? Thanks

I think before cutting off, you must tell your friend how you feel and give him a second chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending