The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

How good is Uni of Sheffield?

Is it considered a really academic and reputable university? Would people who get A*s go there?
Original post by Anonymous
Is it considered a really academic and reputable university? Would people who get A*s go there?

Why are you anonymous - bit silly really
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Yes it’s a really good uni, lots of A* students go there

Is a very well regarded uni, but not in the most prestigious echelon of universities.

Yes people with A*'s will attend. I suspect many of the A* students will be concentrated in certain courses.
Reply 4
Yes it’s a really good uni, lots of A* students go there

Ok, thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by mnot
Is a very well regarded uni, but not in the most prestigious echelon of universities.

Yes people with A*'s will attend. I suspect many of the A* students will be concentrated in certain courses.

Ok thanks. Which subjects do you think Sheffield is most known for? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Why are you anonymous - bit silly really

Because I want to. It’s not silly, lots of people post threads anonymously.
@MidgetFever

Yes and not typically. Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial and a few others would typically rank higher. There's obviously a range of universities, so it really depends on how high you're aiming.

I grew up in Sheffield and my father was a lecturer at the university.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9

In my opinion maybe engineering

Engineering, dentistry. (TBH not too sure, theyll be more courses it is strong in but these are the ones that sprung too my mind).
They also offer lots of languages. I think they are the only one that offers Luxembourgish. Plus their Chinese language department is very strong
Which do you think is better - Uni of Sheffield or Uni of Birmingham ?
Which do you think is better - Uni of Sheffield or Uni of Birmingham ?

Depends on the subject
Original post by mnot

which unis would you consider to be in that echelon?
Original post by yotsr123
which unis would you consider to be in that echelon?

Its kind of a where do you start & finish, below are the tiers (my opinion) varely loosely speaking, its more of a gradual gradient as well then set tiers but this should give you a loose idea of my thoughts.
1) Oxford & Cambridge
2) Imperial, UCL, LSE
3) Warwick, Bristol, Nottingham, Durham, Kings
4) A lot of unis (including Sheffield): But Birmingham, Southampton, Loughborough, Bath, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Lancaster, Exeter, Liverpool, York (maybe a couple others)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending