The Student Room Group

Is Lancaster uni a good uni

Hello I have an unconditional offer for software engineering at Lancaster, I also have a conditional at queens Belfast for software engineering and computer science(want to do software engineering) I’m just wondering which uni would be seen to be better and employers would favour? Even tho Lancaster is not a Russel group uni it performs significantly better than queens in ranking tables overall and in computer science.
When you're looking at ranking tables you shouldn't look at overall rankings. Look at specific figures like staff:student ratio, graduate prospects, spend per student etc..
Reply 2
Overall, it is definitely a well-respected university. Queens is too!

My advice to anyone who is deciding between a handful of good universities (Russel Group, Top 25, and so on) is to go with the one you think you will enjoy the most. Do you really think your job prospects are going to be hugely different on the basis of you going to Lancaster over Queens? Warwick over Durham? We're talking about great universities, you're not deciding between Manchester Metropolitan and the University of Manchester. Go with what you like the best and make sure they have a department that you are happy with.
Reply 3
When I was at an applicant day at Lancaster they told us that their computing students had 3rd highest graduate prospects in the uk
Reply 4
Original post by Diamond0131
Hello I have an unconditional offer for software engineering at Lancaster, I also have a conditional at queens Belfast for software engineering and computer science(want to do software engineering) I’m just wondering which uni would be seen to be better and employers would favour? Even tho Lancaster is not a Russel group uni it performs significantly better than queens in ranking tables overall and in computer science.

Lancaster is a fantastic University to go to.
Congratulations, you must have impressed them a lot to get an unconditional! To be honest in reality, there is a great shortage of software engineers in the market so wherever you go you are guarenteed a job. I think you need to look at te finer detail of the courses to see what modules they offer. However for reputation points id be inclined to go to Lancaster.
Reply 5
Original post by AJ Denby
Lancaster is a fantastic University to go to.
Congratulations, you must have impressed them a lot to get an unconditional! To be honest in reality, there is a great shortage of software engineers in the market so wherever you go you are guarenteed a job. I think you need to look at te finer detail of the courses to see what modules they offer. However for reputation points id be inclined to go to Lancaster.

Thank you for your response, I’ve visited before and loved them before, I loved the fact Lancaster was out on its own and loved the fact it was near Manchester as I’m a massive Manchester United fan and could possibly go to every home game which draws me ever closer to Lancaster but I’ll have to think about it I’m not 100% certain yet
Thank you for your response, I’ve visited before and loved them before, I loved the fact Lancaster was out on its own and loved the fact it was near Manchester as I’m a massive Manchester United fan and could possibly go to every home game which draws me ever closer to Lancaster but I’ll have to think about it I’m not 100% certain yet

Hi @Diamond0131,
I'm currently a student at Lancaster and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have!
I'm glad to hear you liked Lancaster!
You can speak to a current software engineering student using UniBuddy if you want to ask specifics about the course.
You can read about our reputation here.
Otherwise, let me know if there's anything I can help you with so you can decide.
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Reply 7
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @Diamond0131,
I'm currently a student at Lancaster and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have!
You can speak to a current software engineering student using UniBuddy if you want to ask specifics about the course.
Otherwise, let me know if there's anything I can help you with so you can decide.

@Lancaster Student Ambassador Hi can I ask u one question, does Lancaster have many irish students? As I’m going from Ireland I’d love to know if you get many irish students every year? Especially Northern Ireland
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
[QUOTE="Ambassador;88073664" Lancaster="Lancaster" Student="Student"]Hi @Diamond0131,
3rd year Biological Sciences with Hi can I ask u one question, does Lancaster have many irish students? As I’m going from Ireland I’d love to know if you get many irish students every year? Especially Northern Ireland
Hi @Diamond0131,

@Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi can I ask u one question, does Lancaster have many irish students? As I’m going from Ireland I’d love to know if you get many irish students every year? Especially Northern Ireland
Hi @Diamond0131,
3rd year Biological Sciences with Hi can I ask u one question, does Lancaster have many irish students? As I’m going from Ireland I’d love to know if you get many irish students every year? Especially Northern Ireland

@Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi can I ask u one question, does Lancaster have many irish students? As I’m going from Ireland I’d love to know if you get many irish students every year? Especially Northern Ireland

Hi @Diamond0131,
I've met a couple of students from Northern Ireland whilst being at University so I know that there are some. That being said, I don't think they're a massive group at Lancaster, but of course the intake changes every year so it's hard to predict how many there will be in the year of your entry. I had a look on the SU website, I couldn't see an Irish/Northern Irish society but there is a Welsh society. Maybe this is something you could set up when you arrive if you're interested in meeting more students from Ireland/Northern Ireland?
Hope this was somewhat useful, let me know if you have anymore questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending