The Student Room Group

Applying for Foundation Program

I am a student from the U.S. and I am hoping to apply for 2021 entry for university in the UK (although I am still undecided about which universities I would like to apply to.) My friend from the US who now attends Keele University did the International Foundation Program for academic improvement, not English development. She suggested that I also consider the program at a university, as she felt it was a good way to integrate into the UK school system. However, I am not sure if I would be a candidate coming from the US, with English as my first language. I have been doing some research for different universities, but it is hard finding information for U.S. students.
Honestly I would just go straight into uni. In the UK no one really takes a foundation year unless you didn't get the grades (hence your friend doing the International Foundation Program for academic improvement?!). Also I personally don't think it will be worth it. There will be loads of international people already coming new as well of all of us from the UK who are new so no one will know any different. Hope this helps. It really just depends on your grades and what you feel most comfortable is. Also depends on the subject. I know it is really common to do an arts foundation year. Any more questions let me know! x
You should be able to apply the normal way through UCAS as US students are able to do so. What are your qualifications though? Are you studying for your qualifications or is it all achieved now? You will need to have a personal statement and this is totally different to the Common App essay. You will also need a reference so you need to ask one of your teachers to help you with this but I think some people use their councillors. You will be considered an international student so do you have the money or some sort of plan to pay for the tuition fees or money to live in the UK?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending