The Student Room Group

My diet to lose 30kg/blog

I am overweight and want to tackle this head on.

I am used to starving myself all day then binging in the evening which makes me feel awful.
Instead I am trying to lose 30kg through diet and exercise and regular meals throughout the day. Furthermore I will be exercising:

- squats
- burpees
- planks
- sit-ups

For meals it will be based on I had today as far as food groups are concerned.

Breakfast

Porridge
Banana
Yogurt
Cup of tea

Lunch

A bite of mashed potato
Some chicken breast
A few peas

Tea

Half a jacket potato
Sweet corn
Tomatoes
Lettuce
Butter
Turkey breast

Supper

1 biscuit
1 yogurt
Cup of tea

I have drank more than is shown here.

So, is this healthy and can I lose weight on this regime?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lostx

I am used to starving myself all day then binging in the evening which makes me feel awful.
Instead I am trying to lose 30kg through diet and exercise and regular meals throughout the day. Furthermore I will be exercising:

- squats
- burpees
- planks
- sit-ups

Breakfast

Porridge
Banana
Yogurt
Cup of tea

Lunch

A bite of mashed potato
Some chicken breast
A few peas

Tea

Half a jacket potato
Sweet corn
Tomatoes
Lettuce
Butter
Turkey breast

Supper

1 biscuit
1 yogurt
Cup of tea

Doubt it mate. I could never loose any weight when I was in hospital. The joys of the good old 'syndrome x'.
Just try and be as healthy as possible--eat a varied diet. Maybe do a little exercise.
Take it from me, I am self admitted cronic/ yo-yo dieter, I have been many different weights ranging from 7 stone to 13 stone, none of them satisfied me.
If you are actually obese, talk to your DR about a drug called metaformin, its been proven in clinical trails to reduce weight gain/ promote slow weight loss in people on anti-psycotics.
(edited 4 years ago)
It does not sound like enough food for someone who has 30kg extra that they want to lose.
If you don't eat enough you will just be starving all the time and will give up.

Bulk up on the veg - what point is there to 'a few peas'
Reply 3
Balanced diet, calorie deficit... Yes?
Reply 4
Is it ok to snack on bananas and apples?

Max in a day?
Original post by Lostx
Is it ok to snack on bananas and apples?

Max in a day?

Snacking on fruit and nuts is a good idea. If you really want to lose weight go on a whole foods plant based diet- it's healthy and you lose weight quite fast (but eat enough calories).
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
Snacking on fruit and nuts is a good idea. If you really want to lose weight go on a whole foods plant based diet- it's healthy and you lose weight quite fast (but eat enough calories).

Unless it is well planned, a plant based diet isn't healthy at all. So not a good idea.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Lostx

- squats
- burpees
- planks
- sit-ups

Breakfast

Porridge
Banana
Yogurt
Cup of tea

Lunch

A bite of mashed potato
Some chicken breast
A few peas

Tea

Half a jacket potato
Sweet corn
Tomatoes
Lettuce
Butter
Turkey breast

Supper

1 biscuit
1 yogurt
Cup of tea

It's going to take the best part of a year to lose 30kg. Is this diet really something you could maintain for that long? It's pretty boring to be honest, and I doubt you could do it longterm. Nutritionally, it's well balanced and ticks the right boxes.
Original post by glassalice
Unless it is well planned a plant based diet isn't healthy at all. So not a good idea.

I did say if she is to go on it to eat enough calories. I eat a vegan diet, but not strictly whole foods and found it effective at losing weight and I ate how much I wanted. Plant based diets are very healthy if you eat enough calories and make sure to eat enough nutrients.
Reply 9
Original post by Reality Check
It's going to take the best part of a year to lose 30kg. Is this diet really something you could maintain for that long? It's pretty boring to be honest, and I doubt you could do it longterm. Nutritionally, it's well balanced and ticks the right boxes.

I’m prepared to wait that long.
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
I did say if she is to go on it to eat enough calories. I eat a vegan diet, but not strictly whole foods and found it effective at losing weight and I ate how much I wanted. Plant based diets are very healthy if you eat enough calories and make sure to eat enough nutrients.

I wasn't talking about calorie content. I was talking about nutrient content, like where do you get B12, iron, calcium excretra from?
I know it's possible to, but not without proper, considered planning.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Lostx
I’m prepared to wait that long.

Yes, but the issue is that a diet needs to be sustainable for that length of time. However, what you've suggested is a great start - you just need to come up with some variety along the same template.
Original post by glassalice
I wasn't talking about calorie content. I was talking about nutrient content, like where do you get B12, iron excretra from?
I know it's possible to, but not without proper considered planning.

I only supplement B12. I get my iron from fortified cereals, lentils, chickpeas, kidney beans, chickpeas, leafy greens, tofu, chia seeds, some dried fruits, nuts etc.
Reply 13
So as well as having this for Supper:

1 biscuit
1 yogurt
Cup of tea

I also ate a banana and apple and I am now feeling fat :frown: I feel like I have failed the diet.
Original post by Lostx
So as well as having this for Supper:

1 biscuit
1 yogurt
Cup of tea

I also ate a banana and apple and I am now feeling fat :frown: I feel like I have failed the diet.

Don't worry about eating fruit- it's healthy for you and has good nutrients. You should be having your 5 a day anyway.
Just track your calories using an app
As long as you are in a deficit and exercise regularly you will lose weight.
Reply 16
I have lost 2kg since starting this diet!:awesome:
Reply 17
Is it ok to snack on fruit? I ate a banana and an apple as well as the yogurt I was meant to eat for supper and feel bad.
Reply 18
Today I have eaten:

Breakfast

Porridge
Banana
Yogurt

Lunch

Chicken curry - big mistake but couldn’t find anything else for protein
Rice
Veg

Tea

Lettuce
Half a baked potato
Tuna

Supper

Yogurt
Banana
Apple
Original post by Lostx
Today I have eaten:

Breakfast

Porridge
Banana
Yogurt

Lunch

Chicken curry - big mistake but couldn’t find anything else for protein
Rice
Veg

Tea

Lettuce
Half a baked potato
Tuna

Supper

Yogurt
Banana
Apple

Do you know how much calories you're eating daily?

Quick Reply

Latest