The Student Room Group

Moving to University

Hi,
I am supposed to be moving to university in September, I don't know what I should take. I know the essentials like bedding, clothes and shower stuff etc.
However, I am being told take a mini fridge, cos food gets eaten and limited space. Or take a small kettle for your room.
So i'm wondering if it is worth it. I've watch youtube videos and some say yes and some say no. So is it just preference?
Hey! Things like a mini-fridge and kettle definitely aren't necessities so I wouldn't worry too much about it! I'd say hold off for now and see if you want them after a couple of weeks living at uni! Buying loads of appliances can seem really exciting/necessary but it's going to be annoying if, once September comes around, you don't get much as much use out of them as you thought. A flatmate of mine bought a mini-fridge but ended up giving it away when she didn't use it. Things that are quite handy for halls are door stops (as they aren't always provided), card games and little things to decorate your room like pictures/hangings! Again, you could wait until you move in to see how much you want these things once you're there, and it's always exciting receiving packages in halls if you order once you move out!
Original post by Enchantress13
Hi,
I am supposed to be moving to university in September, I don't know what I should take. I know the essentials like bedding, clothes and shower stuff etc.
However, I am being told take a mini fridge, cos food gets eaten and limited space. Or take a small kettle for your room.
So i'm wondering if it is worth it. I've watch youtube videos and some say yes and some say no. So is it just preference?

Hi @Enchantress13!

In most halls you aren't allowed mini fridges in your room due to health and safety reasons (and I personally don't think it is necessary to have one). I also don't think a small kettle for your room is needed either. Arrange with your flatmates who is going to bring the toaster/kettle and other appliances so you only end up with one of each in the kitchen.

Here's a little checklist you could use:
- Clothing
- Toiletries (if you have en ensuite then maybe get a bathroom mat)
- Any beauty related things (makeup/hairdryers/hair brushes etc)
- Storage solutions for on top of your desk/in your desk drawers if needed
- Pencil pot/notebooks/folders and other stationary bits
- Bedding (including pillows and duvet)
- Any decor maybe? (photos for your wall etc)
- Shoes and outdoor wear
- Backpack, laptop case, pencil case etc for lectures
- Tea towels, flannels and shower towels
- Cups, plates, bowls, cutlery, pots and pans, mugs, wooden spoon etc
- Hangers for your wardrobe
- Door stop (really helpful in first year)
- Bin and lamp (if your room doesn't come with one already)
- Any electrical appliances (laptop/tablet etc) and chargers
- Dust pan and brush maybe?
- Any medication (prescriptions, paracetamol, ibuprofen etc)
- Any fancy dress items (they might be useful if you join a society)

These are some things I could think of on the spot. Other things such as cleaning supplies might be good to buy when you are doing your first food shop when you are already at Uni.

Hope this helps!
Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:
Also check to see what kitchen appliances your accommodation provides! Ours supplied the kettles/microwaves/toasters so we didn't need to get our own!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending