The Student Room Group

my dad is trying to withdraw my university application without my permission

hi:frown: my parents have been unofficially seperated for a year and i've applied to go to university in september. i live in india but i'm a british citizen, and i've applied to go to the UK. my mother is happy with me going but my father doesn't want me to and has emailed my university to try and withdraw my application without my permission. i've lived with my mother all this time. my dad did sign a parental agreement earlier cuz he thought it wouldn't matter cuz he thought i wouldn't get in anyways. what do i do. i have an unconditional offer that ive already firmly accepted. can he jepordize my application? is there anything i can do?

pls help:frown:

Scroll to see replies

I don't think he can withdraw without your permission. @harrysbar @PQ
Original post by missusfrog99
hi:frown: my parents have been unofficially seperated for a year and i've applied to go to university in september. i live in india but i'm a british citizen, and i've applied to go to the UK. my mother is happy with me going but my father doesn't want me to and has emailed my university to try and withdraw my application without my permission. i've lived with my mother all this time. my dad did sign a parental agreement earlier cuz he thought it wouldn't matter cuz he thought i wouldn't get in anyways. what do i do. i have an unconditional offer that ive already firmly accepted. can he jepordize my application? is there anything i can do?

Even if your father is listed as a nominated contact, it is very unlikely a uni would withdraw your application on his request with no confirmation from you.

To be certain, I would contact both UCAS and your Firm & Insurance places and ask them to remove his as a contact. That will prevent them from discussing your application with any other party. You could also ask for a them to add a note about your situation and confirm that should not be taking instructions from anyone apart from you.

If you are especially paranoid, you might also remove your mother as a named contact, (in case he has access to her emails and can send messages from her account).
Original post by Euphoria101
I don't think he can withdraw without your permission. @harrysbar @PQ

I think that's good advice from Admit - One, more detail than what I was about to say so I don't have anything to add

Providing you are 18 (or will be when you attend), I dont think your parent can just withdraw you on your behalf. I would contact the uni tell them to ignore his communication and change your 3rd party contact to your mother.
Original post by mnot
Providing you are 18 (or will be when you attend), I dont think your parent can just withdraw you on your behalf. I would contact the uni tell them to ignore his communication and change your 3rd party contact to your mother.

im not eighteen im seventeen arghh

Well id immediately change the contact perhaps to your mother, call the uni and tell them your mum is your legal guardian (assuming she is or at least is jointly) and to ignore his communication.
(edited 3 years ago)

Will you be eighteen if you start? Will you be relying on your dad for financial support at all?
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Will you be eighteen if you start? Will you be relying on your dad for financial support at all?

i'm not eighteen until april, and i'm not relying on my dad for financial support cuz he refuses to help so im depending on my mum and her family, and im in the process of tryna apply for some aid
Original post by mnot
Well id immediately change the contact perhaps to your mother, call the uni and tell them your mum is your legal guardian (assuming she is or at least is jointly) and to ignore his communication.

how do i change the contact!!!
omg HOW how do i do this i will do it rn how do i change the contact
Original post by Admit-One
Even if your father is listed as a nominated contact, it is very unlikely a uni would withdraw your application on his request with no confirmation from you.

To be certain, I would contact both UCAS and your Firm & Insurance places and ask them to remove his as a contact. That will prevent them from discussing your application with any other party. You could also ask for a them to add a note about your situation and confirm that should not be taking instructions from anyone apart from you.

If you are especially paranoid, you might also remove your mother as a named contact, (in case he has access to her emails and can send messages from her account).

how exactly would i tell them about my situation its pretty brazen isnt it, i understand that id email but gah im panicking, what would i say!
omg HOW how do i do this i will do it rn how do i change the contact

You can call UCAS to make changes to your application via:

UK number 0371 468 0 468
International number +44 330 3330 230

For the two Uni's, I would call them via the undergraduate admissions numbers on their websites. They may ask you to confirm via email also, but call first if at all possible.
i'm not eighteen until april, and i'm not relying on my dad for financial support cuz he refuses to help so im depending on my mum and her family, and im in the process of tryna apply for some aid

Ok, well I'd suggest contacting UCAS and the unis as above. If you're going to be under 18 at the start of your course, you may need to keep your mum available as a contact. It's also likely you'll need someone over the age of 18 to sign accommodation contracts etc as a trustee.
how exactly would i tell them about my situation its pretty brazen isnt it, i understand that id email but gah im panicking, what would i say!

No need to panic, as above I don't think he can affect your offer now even if he tried.

Just summarise your first post above in your email/call; your parents are separated and you've been made aware that your father might try to withdraw your application. You want to remove him as a named contact (if he is listed), and add a note about the same if possible.
This doesn't make sense.. how can you be 17 and have already applied to universities? As far as i know early deadlines are in october and you'd need to be in year 13 but you've only just turned 17 in april... did you get your predicted already???
Reply 16
Original post by astayuno
This doesn't make sense.. how can you be 17 and have already applied to universities? As far as i know early deadlines are in october and you'd need to be in year 13 but you've only just turned 17 in april... did you get your predicted already???

Maybe they leave school earlier in India
You can call UCAS to make changes to your application via:

UK number 0371 468 0 468
International number +44 330 3330 230

For the two Uni's, I would call them via the undergraduate admissions numbers on their websites. They may ask you to confirm via email also, but call first if at all possible.

thank you so much, ill do this asap
(edited 3 years ago)
No need to panic, as above I don't think he can affect your offer now even if he tried.

Just summarise your first post above in your email/call; your parents are separated and you've been made aware that your father might try to withdraw your application. You want to remove him as a named contact (if he is listed), and add a note about the same if possible.

aa okay gotcha, thank you! im so grateful, imma do tht
yep! got my predicted grades and my actual scores too as of a few days ago (i did the IB) andd i skipped a year! i applied in january

Original post by astayuno

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending