The Student Room Group

Can I move out at 16

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think that you should get in touch with Childline.

https://www.childline.org.uk/
Original post by Kerzen
There is no such thing as a house share for £10 a month.

Where on earth have you seen that?

Good point actually, I'm in a house share and £85 a week is considered cheap!
Original post by Kerzen
There is no such thing as a house share for £10 a month.

Where on earth have you seen that?

I saw one for 4 pounds per month it also said 1 room in supported accommodation
Original post by Anonymous69420
I saw one for 4 pounds per month it also said 1 room in supported accommodation

£4 a month is crazy, where are you finding these??
Original post by wastedcuriosity
£4 a month is crazy, where are you finding these??

Google, I clicked the first website with houses near my area

Unless "pcm" doesn't mean per month...
Reply 25
Google, I clicked the first website with houses near my area

Unless "pcm" doesn't mean per month...

Can you give a link to the website?

£4 a month is probably not the full cost of the room rental.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Kerzen
Can you give a link to the website?

£4 a month is probably not for the rental of a room, it's probably for something like locker hire.

If I did it'd give away where I live xd
It was for those on benefits or something and over 30s so I'd doubt I'd get it.

I found a really nice share house that was a modern 6 bedroom house for 15 per week. It covers council tax, water and gas

Monthly minimum wage for 16 Yr olds is around £120 so I could pull it off
I'll screen shot it:
Screenshot_20200913_155016.jpg
@Kerzen @wastedcuriosity
Reply 28
you can move out but you’re going to have a difficult time finding accommodation as you cannot legally hold a tenancy agreement till you’re 18, hence landlords are reluctant to rent to minors. have a read of this link from Wigan Council for instance on what they have to say.

https://www.wigan.gov.uk/Resident/Housing/Council-homes/Find-a-home/Leaving-your-accommodation/Under-18s.aspx

i suspect you misunderstood this website that offered a room for £4-10 a month or it was a typo on the renter’s behalf or they’re offering something illegal. £10/month wouldn’t be enough to turn the lights on, unfortunately.
Reply 29
I'll screen shot it:
Screenshot_20200913_155016.jpg
@Kerzen @wastedcuriosity

You wouldn't be able to be considered for that, partly because you are not over 30 and partly because you are not in receipt of JSA, ESA, PIP or Universal Credit.

In this case, it looks to me as though the rent they are asking for is what they ask you to pay from your benefits. The remainder of the rent is paid for by Housing Benefit, so the actual rent is probably three figures.

I'm worried that you are looking online for random places to move to, there are some vile people out there and you are very young.
London would be too expensive anyway...

I don't really have much of a choice to stay home so let's say I worked two jobs at tesco and aldi while doing a levels, would that be doable financially and workload wise?

you’d be absolutely drained and over worked. your a levels will suffer
Contact social services. You might able to be adopted or something for 2 years. That or put up in a refuge or fostered. Cheaper than moving out and paying your own bills. I have a love hate relationship with my parents too. They can be toxic, but fine at other times. I decided against moving out because i keep being in and out of work, and in these uncertain times there’s no guarantee you’ll get a job let alone be able to keep it. They might make u redundant or what not.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Joleee
you can move out but you’re going to have a difficult time finding accommodation as you cannot legally hold a tenancy agreement till you’re 18, hence landlords are reluctant to rent to minors. have a read of this link from Wigan Council for instance on what they have to say.

https://www.wigan.gov.uk/Resident/Housing/Council-homes/Find-a-home/Leaving-your-accommodation/Under-18s.aspx

i suspect you misunderstood this website that offered a room for £4-10 a month or it was a typo on the renter’s behalf or they’re offering something illegal. £10/month wouldn’t be enough to turn the lights on, unfortunately.

Yeah £4/£10 a month did seem a bit odd :/
So I can move out but I can't legally sign a contract with a tenant of something? Well that sucks

Original post by Kerzen
You wouldn't be able to be considered for that, partly because you are not over 30 and partly because you are not in receipt of JSA, ESA, PIP or Universal Credit.

In this case, it looks to me as though the rent they are asking for is what they ask you to pay from your benefits. The remainder of the rent is paid for by Housing Benefit, so the actual rent is probably three figures.

I'm worried that you are looking online for random places to move to, there are some vile people out there and you are very young.

Moving in with strangest isn't the safest but I'd rather not get the council involved or social services since then I'd have to face my mum :/ I'd rather just move out and be done with it. Going to social services seems much more grueling emotionally
Yes you can leave home at 16 get your own place
Original post by boulderingislife
Contact social services. You might able to be adopted or something for 2 years. That or put up in a refuge or fostered. Cheaper than moving out and paying your own bills. I have a love hate relationship with my parents too. They can be toxic, but fine at other times. I decided against moving out because i keep being in and out of work, and in these uncertain times there’s no guarantee you’ll get a job let alone be able to keep it. They might make u redundant or what not.

Will they involve my parents though? My city has been quite infamous for our social services, it was even deemed a national disgrace a couple years ago and is still in special measures. There's been times where the teachers have tried to contact them and they've been practically useless soo I don't wanna risk it
If I get a job when I turn 16 at tescos or something can I move out?

Will it be enough to rent an apartment of something

no, you need to be at least 18+ to rent an apartment
also why tf would you want to move out at 16 when you can just wait for 2 years and save that money?
Original post by angelinahx
also why tf would you want to move out at 16 when you can just wait for 2 years and save that money?

You can have your own home in the UK at 16
Original post by angelinahx

I'd be better off homeless.
Original post by Scottishlad888
You can have your own home in the UK at 16

Yeah, but how is a 16 year old in education meant to pay for that?
Original post by wastedcuriosity
Yeah, but how is a 16 year old in education meant to pay for that?

Housing Benefit pays for it apply for it at your local council office google housing benefit for 16 to 25 year olds and council tax and universil credit or talk about it with Shelter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending