The Student Room Group

Contraception

So, uh, I’m a 20 yo Female (duh) who is thinking and very much planning on going through with getting the stick implant (pardon I’m a foreigner) in the U.K., England to be exact. However, I’ve never done that before nor have I ever had the pill. I had the after pill twice and it worked flawlessly (accidents happen) and it was that shield looking one. Anyway, getting to the point; I don’t exactly know how I can get that type of contraception, I’d really appreciate it if someone could explain to me how things work in England with the NHS.

Is it free?
How does the consultation work if there is any?
How many consultations are needed before they do it?
Is it possible for them to reject you?
What do they ask you?
How is it done?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to be well informed, thank you for answering! Any advice and informative information is very appreciated!
My Implant was free and I have not heard of anyone being rejected.

I rang up my doctors and asked for an appointment to discuss contraceptives but I know my friends have gone to sexual health clinics that do the same. I had a consultation before to talk about the options and then I had the implant at the next appointment. They just asked me general things about my health and medical background, took my blood pressure and weight.

It was very easy to do you lie down on the bed she numbed the area with a needle and then made a small incision and push the rod in. Felt it go in but no pain at all. She put a bandage that I keep for 3 days it healed no problem only issue was I bruised but not too bad.
Reply 2
Original post by CHayward96

I rang up my doctors and asked for an appointment to discuss contraceptives but I know my friends have gone to sexual health clinics that do the same. I had a consultation before to talk about the options and then I had the implant at the next appointment. They just asked me general things about my health and medical background, took my blood pressure and weight.

It was very easy to do you lie down on the bed she numbed the area with a needle and then made a small incision and push the rod in. Felt it go in but no pain at all. She put a bandage that I keep for 3 days it healed no problem only issue was I bruised but not too bad.

Are you British? Do British people have a health number? As in a number that states who you are? I’m a bit concerned since I’m a foreigner trying to get a presettled status to remain in the U.K. and that the NHS won’t do it because of Maybe me being a foreigner?
Reply 3
Original post by CHayward96

Oh and thank you very much!
Original post by Anonymous
Are you British? Do British people have a health number? As in a number that states who you are? I’m a bit concerned since I’m a foreigner trying to get a presettled status to remain in the U.K. and that the NHS won’t do it because of Maybe me being a foreigner?

Im not quite sure. Could you find your nearest clinic using the link and then ring up and ask before you book an appointment?

https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/other-services/Sexual-health-information-and-support/LocationSearch/734

Quick Reply

Latest