The Student Room Group

Driving through a puddle causing a test fail

Can anyone explain why the hell they're going on about this on Radio One?
It's a traffic offence* to drive through a puddle and splash a pedestrian so of course it's a fail.

But the woman didn't know so somehow thinks she's exempt...
Bloody morons.

Edit:

*In that you have to be considerate of all road users including pedestrians.

Scroll to see replies

Good fun though :biggrin:
DJW
Can anyone explain why the hell they're going on about this on Radio One?
It's a traffic offence to drive through a puddle and splash a pedestrian so of course it's a fail.

But the woman didn't know so somehow thinks she's exempt...
Bloody morons.

This happens all the time where I live, but I didn't know it was an offence. What happens if a driver gets caught doing this?
Slapped wrist at most, if the police even bothered to pull you over which i doubt! Depends if you purposely speed up to hit a puddle and splash people, as you are deliberately driving dangerously (all that grip in water).
Reply 4
ive never got any compensation the thousands of times thats happened to me.
Reply 5
Absolutely pathetic. I mean, really? Come on. Stupid law. What are you going to do, stop and let them walk away from the puddle? Or swerve into the other lane to avoid it?
Reply 6
I think if the driver does speed up or swerve into the puddle to splash someone its an offence of course. But if its accidental i'm not sure... Sometimes you can't not drive through a puddle. Either that or swerve into oncoming traffic.
Reply 7
punktopia
Absolutely pathetic. I mean, really? Come on. Stupid law. What are you going to do, stop and let them walk away from the puddle? Or swerve into the other lane to avoid it?

Or slow down and drive through it safely so as not to splash anyone on the pavement?

You've obviously never been on the receiving end of it :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Yeah my driving instructor pulled me up about this, then I just laughed, and then she laughed, and then we drove off laughing. Then I felt bad.
Reply 9
I remember driving down a hill and a bunch of kids were standing at a huge puddle shouting to get splashed and the two cars infront of me didn't do it and i floored it down the hill and hit the puddle perfectly soaking the lot of the them - to which i got a great cheer.

Wonder what would of happened if i got caught? :P
If caught, the driver is most likely to be prosecuted for inconsiderate driving or, perhaps, careless driving. And, of course, the pedestrian might well claim his/her dry cleaning bills and other damages. If there is a pedestrian or cyclist next to a puddle, slow down or wait.
Reply 11
james99
Or slow down and drive through it safely so as not to splash anyone on the pavement?

You've obviously never been on the receiving end of it :rolleyes:

Yeah I have, and it flayed the skin from my body and sucked me down into hell.

Oh wait, I just got a bit wet.
Gary10k
I remember driving down a hill and a bunch of kids were standing at a huge puddle shouting to get splashed and the two cars infront of me didn't do it and i floored it down the hill and hit the puddle perfectly soaking the lot of the them - to which i got a great cheer.

Wonder what would of happened if i got caught? :P

Wonder what would have happened if you had started aqua planing and then wiped out all the kids?
Good bloke
If caught, the driver is most likely to be prosecuted for inconsiderate driving or, perhaps, careless driving. And, of course, the pedestrian might well claim his/her dry cleaning bills and other damages. If there is a pedestrian or cyclist next to a puddle, slow down or wait.

I don't think anyone in the history of ever has been prosecuted for driving through a puddle.
Reply 14
Moral: don't take your test during monsoon season.
It's on the ITV lunchtime news too!! They just mentioned it in the summary bit before the break.
the_alba
Moral: don't take your test during monsoon season.

It's the UK. It's always monsoon season.
Officer Dibble
It's always monsoon season.

Perhaps you should be called Officer Dribble, then. :smile:
madness its only water chances are if your out walking in this weather you are going to be soaked to the skin anyway.
God, how pathetic. Really says something about society if there has to be a law about this sort of thing - why can't people just be considerate, perhaps?

Next there'll be a law about releasing a heavy spring-loaded door in someone's face.....

Latest

Trending

Trending