The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Why university is best for History: Lancaster or Bristol?

Hi! I'm early entry and need to decide asap!
I would most likely say Lancaster simply because of the history with it with the war of the roses
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! I'm early entry and need to decide asap!

Hi @Anonymous#1,

I'm one of the student ambassadors for Lancaster on here.

Lancaster is currently 10th in the UK for history, and offers a really varied course, engaging both with local history (such as exploring Lancaster's links with the Pendle Witch trials, the Lake District and the slave trade) and world history, ranging from the Fall of Rome, Britain 1500-1800 and Imperialism. You can find out more information about the current modules offered here.

One of my housemates studies History and really enjoys the course because of the wide modules available and the opportunities to engage with other subjects and disciplines. If you'd like to chat to current students about studying history, you can use our UniBuddy platform here.

I'd say, when thinking about which university to go to, the course is the most important thing. You need to ask yourself - what modules interest and excite me? Am I going to be bored, challenged, or stimulated? What skills will I gain and develop from this degree? What are the extracurricular opportunities and career prospects?

If you have any questions about the general university life at Lancaster, I'd be happy to help! If you can, try to visit both universities, to get a feel for them. Lancaster is completely campus-based, whereas Bristol is much more engaged with the city. It's important to think about these differences and your own preferences as well.

Maria :smile:
2nd year English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice (placement year)
Reply 3
They're such very different environments that environment would be my first consideration. Lancaster's got a better rating for History according to league tables. Bristol still asks for higher entry requirements probably because the university will get lots of applicants - the university is old, pretty, generally well respected overall, and the area's regarded as trendy. Campus universities like Lancaster can be depressing for the highly sensitive or the highly social alike because they can be physically and emotionally cut off from the character of their actual city.

For 3+ years, a university will only be as good as it and its people treat you emotionally and intellectually. And that will spur you to work hard enough.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Thank you all!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending