The Student Room Group

So Angry

I am so angry, my stepsister has managed to get a job at the savoy hotel. Some place I really want to work. I haven't got any job and no company will hire me and she has my dream sort of job as I love anything to do with travel
Have you considered how your step-sister got the job? It could be by attitude, skills/experience, networking/knowing people, desire to have a career in catering, better CV, etc.

If it's by getting referred from people who are in the company, it would make sense to ask your sister for an introduction, should they be hiring.

Whilst catering is a diverse industry and you can pretty much find employment anywhere around the world, it's by no means the only industry that relates to travel. In fact, you can travel without going into the catering industry e.g. consulting (although the travel will become a dread), working in an international firm, banking, airlines, pilots, transportation industry.

If you're 18, you can technically study for qualifications that would help you get into the catering industry. e.g if you want to work in the kitchen, probably do a Hygiene certificate or go to culinary school/course; if you want to work behind a bar, maybe spend a week getting training on bar work (there are a few schools like this out there, but they can be expensive). Should you wish, there are degrees in hotel management, but the more famous ones tend to be in Switzerland. You can also train to be a butler on certain courses.
I am 28 but because of what has happened in my life I don't have many qualifications. Had 3 major operations, now a cancer sufferer which is also affecting my mental health. I have a triple star distinction in travel and tourism which I got in 2019 last year, was at uni but now had to defer because of cancer and a level 2 in English and level 1 in maths. So I just don't know what to do because company's don't seem to want me, I just don't think they understand that gap in my CV and why i haven't had a job since, but my 3 major operations, depression and being bullied is the reason why

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending