The Student Room Group

IB group 3 subject choices - Psycholoy or Philosophy?

Hi. So, I'm going to have to submit my IB choices by December and I don't know if I should choose IB Psych or IB Philo. The subjects I'm planning to take are:

Group 1: English Lang and Lit SL
Group 2: Chinese B SL
Group 3: Psych/Philo HL
Group 4: Biology HL
Group 5: Maths - analysis and approaches SL
Group 6: Chemistry HL

I'm taking IGCSE Psychology right now but my grades aren't that good.

I'm also not sure what I want to do in the future but if I can I'd want to do something related to medicine.
Psych is usually seen as better if u wanna take medicine. I'm in ib psych y2 rn it's quite possible to get high grades but it takes a lot of work u can easily spot the questions and memorize the answers that will give u 7's. It's hard but possible if u study
I am doing Psych and its lots of fun but there are a lot of studies t remember..
Philosophy is a lot like what your TOK lessons are going to be like but with more detail.
You can always change your mind near the start of the year but in the end its about what you enjoy and what you wont mind doing lots of work on (cause that is what will get you top grades)
Reply 3
Original post by 2021.b3by
Psych is usually seen as better if u wanna take medicine. I'm in ib psych y2 rn it's quite possible to get high grades but it takes a lot of work u can easily spot the questions and memorize the answers that will give u 7's. It's hard but possible if u study

Hi sorry for being so late. But I have to confirm my subjects this week. For Psych, do you have to memorize the whole textbook and all the studies and theories in it? Because that's what we're doing in GCSE and I'm failing. Or do they give you a topic and you just memorize the studies and theories related to that topic?
Original post by imloki
Hi sorry for being so late. But I have to confirm my subjects this week. For Psych, do you have to memorize the whole textbook and all the studies and theories in it? Because that's what we're doing in GCSE and I'm failing. Or do they give you a topic and you just memorize the studies and theories related to that topic?

Hii no worries :smile: I never did gcses so i can't speak to how it's similar or different. But in my school we are given the theory like the social identity theory and we memorize 2 studies from each theory. For the exam we write 3 short answer questions one study per question and the essay has 2 studies which are compared/contrasted
Reply 5
Original post by 2021.b3by
Hii no worries :smile: I never did gcses so i can't speak to how it's similar or different. But in my school we are given the theory like the social identity theory and we memorize 2 studies from each theory. For the exam we write 3 short answer questions one study per question and the essay has 2 studies which are compared/contrasted

ok. thx sm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending