The Student Room Group

One person in new University friendship group hates me - what do I do?

Hi, I’m a 2020 first year student - so difficult enough position already - that’s had ups & downs since coming to university. Basically, in a COVID era all we do is flat parties. It’s not the same as going out, but it suffices and, tbh, I enjoy it.

I’ve made a solid group of friends with my flat mates, whom I find very interesting and mostly happy to talk and kind. We’re friends with next door who we all get along with (including myself). However, there’s a flat downstairs which we regularly visit with a person who doesn’t see eye-to-eye with me - so to speak. We’ll call him James.

James just has an issue with me and it’s difficult to pin point exactly what it is. He seemingly is happy to engage with the others, but when it comes to myself, he shuts me down and has next to no time for me. It’s frustrating because a lot happens at that flat and I feel uncomfortable being around someone who has made it perfectly clear to me - but not really everyone else - his evident and stark dislike for myself. What do I do? I haven’t really run into issues before with people disliking me. That’s not to sound arrogant or superior; it’s simply not in my personality to rub people up the wrong way.

If anyone has had a situation of someone disliking just you in a friend group, I’d greatly appreciate some help!
Not everyone is going to get along with everyone at uni, same goes for work at times. As long as hes not bullying you, or ousting you from your group. He has no need to be rude and abrupt though by shutting you down in conversation though. Rather than cause beef as your only in this new situation for a few weeks, its best just to avoid James for now in trying to engage in conversation, and just be civil when u need to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending