The Student Room Group

Finance available for new Uni course if I leave my current course in first year

I am currently in the first year of a 4 year University course. If I changed to a three year course at my present University and later decided to leave at the end of my first year and start at another university would I get full funding for the new course irrespective of it being 3 or 4 years ? I am not sure if in the formula ( length of course, plus one year, minus years studied) the length of course refers to the current or new course. Thanks
Original post by Loco9F
I am currently in the first year of a 4 year University course. If I changed to a three year course at my present University and later decided to leave at the end of my first year and start at another university would I get full funding for the new course irrespective of it being 3 or 4 years ? I am not sure if in the formula ( length of course, plus one year, minus years studied) the length of course refers to the current or new course. Thanks

Hi, students can receive funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study.

If you started a 4 year course and switch to a 3 year course then that is your additional year gone. You will then receive funding for the 3 year course. If you then leave again to start a new 3 year course, you will need to self fund the first year of the new 3 year course as you will have 2 years of previous study unless you have Compelling Personal Reasons http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, students can receive funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study.

If you started a 4 year course and switch to a 3 year course then that is your additional year gone. You will then receive funding for the 3 year course. If you then leave again to start a new 3 year course, you will need to self fund the first year of the new 3 year course as you will have 2 years of previous study unless you have Compelling Personal Reasons http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm
Thanks, Isaac

Thanks for the reply, so you are saying that any student that changes their course in the first year at the same university will be considered to have had 2 years of previous study by the time they reach the end of that year, irrespective of the length of course they swap onto ?
I am doing a biochemistry course but was thinking of changing now, either to a 4 year biology course or a 3 year molecular biology course. I then started thinking what if that didn't work out and I had to start from scratch again somewhere else at the end of my first year.
Original post by Loco9F
Thanks for the reply, so you are saying that any student that changes their course in the first year at the same university will be considered to have had 2 years of previous study by the time they reach the end of that year, irrespective of the length of course they swap onto ?
I am doing a biochemistry course but was thinking of changing now, either to a 4 year biology course or a 3 year molecular biology course. I then started thinking what if that didn't work out and I had to start from scratch again somewhere else at the end of my first year.

No, in your case you started a 4 year course, studied and left to start a new course.

The calculation we use for funding is;

Course length + 1 additional year - previous study = entitlement.

So for your 4 year course your calculation will have been 4+1-0=5 years of funding.
If you then withdraw from that course and move onto a 3 year course, the calculation for your new course is 3+1-1=3 years of funding.
If you then withdraw from that course and move onto a new 4 year course the calculation is 4+1-2=3 years of funding and for a 3 year course 3+1-2=2 years of funding.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
No, in your case you started a 4 year course, studied and left to start a new course.

The calculation we use for funding is;

Course length + 1 additional year - previous study = entitlement.

So for your 4 year course your calculation will have been 4+1-0=5 years of funding.
If you then withdraw from that course and move onto a 3 year course, the calculation for your new course is 3+1-1=3 years of funding.
If you then withdraw from that course and move onto a new 4 year course the calculation is 4+1-2=3 years of funding and for a 3 year course 3+1-2=2 years of funding.
Thanks, Isaac

Thanks Isaac,
I am worried I may not be explaining myself well. I think am I asking the same question as Willc2705 did, which produced a different response from you.
To summarise:-
Never been funded by SFE before until
Sept 2020 - Dec 2020 Biochem course followed by internal transfer at same uni to Molecular Biology( no withdrawal or reapplying)
Jan 2021- June 2021 Molecular Biology.
I hope I will be happy doing Molecular Biology and carry on to completion. However, if i am not and I had to start from the beginning again i.e. withdraw and reapply to a different university in Sept 2021 what would be my funding situation from Sept 2021?
Thanks
Original post by Loco9F
Thanks Isaac,
I am worried I may not be explaining myself well. I think am I asking the same question as Willc2705 did, which produced a different response from you.
To summarise:-
Never been funded by SFE before until
Sept 2020 - Dec 2020 Biochem course followed by internal transfer at same uni to Molecular Biology( no withdrawal or reapplying)
Jan 2021- June 2021 Molecular Biology.
I hope I will be happy doing Molecular Biology and carry on to completion. However, if i am not and I had to start from the beginning again i.e. withdraw and reapply to a different university in Sept 2021 what would be my funding situation from Sept 2021?
Thanks

Ok I think I understand more now, so you never withdrew - just transferred, so you for your new 3 or 4 year course you will only have 1 year of previous study.

This means the calculation will be either
3+1-1= 3 or 4+1-1=4 depending on the length of your new course. With only one year of previous study you will be fully funded for the length of your new course, it doesn't matter if it's 3,4,5 years long.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Ok I think I understand more now, so you never withdrew - just transferred, so you for your new 3 or 4 year course you will only have 1 year of previous study.

This means the calculation will be either
3+1-1= 3 or 4+1-1=4 depending on the length of your new course. With only one year of previous study you will be fully funded for the length of your new course, it doesn't matter if it's 3,4,5 years long.
Thanks, Isaac

Thank you for your help
Original post by Loco9F
Thank you for your help

You're welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending