The Student Room Group

Post graduate overpayment

Hi. I am currently studying a one year full time masters programme funded by the post grad loan from student finance England.

Due to the current Covid situation I am really struggling with childcare and it is impacting on my studies. I have not yet received my timetable for January but I feel any childcare I currently have in place with be useless if they change the days we are in uni coupled with not being allowed family over to help with childcare it is becoming somewhat of a struggle. I am due to be getting my second instalment on Jan 4th, and I am hoping to continue studying and see how it goes in the new year hoping that the situation may change. My concern is if/ when I receive my second instalment but then potentially have to quit part way into the second term, will that second instalment be classed as an overpayment if I don’t see out the full term? Any help greatly appreciated. Kind regards :smile:
Original post by FrancescaBrin
Hi. I am currently studying a one year full time masters programme funded by the post grad loan from student finance England.

Due to the current Covid situation I am really struggling with childcare and it is impacting on my studies. I have not yet received my timetable for January but I feel any childcare I currently have in place with be useless if they change the days we are in uni coupled with not being allowed family over to help with childcare it is becoming somewhat of a struggle. I am due to be getting my second instalment on Jan 4th, and I am hoping to continue studying and see how it goes in the new year hoping that the situation may change. My concern is if/ when I receive my second instalment but then potentially have to quit part way into the second term, will that second instalment be classed as an overpayment if I don’t see out the full term? Any help greatly appreciated. Kind regards :smile:

Hi Francesca, will you be permanently withdrawing or temporarily suspending(to return at a later date)?

If you temporarily suspend then your payments will just be paused and will resume when you continue with your studies in the future, you won't have any overpayment.

If you permanently withdraw then you won't be eligible for any future postgraduate loan funding. If you've received a payment and your withdrawal date was after the payment date that amount will be added to your balance as normal and repaid once you enter repayment/earn over the threshold. If your withdrawal date was before your payment date you'll be required to repay this amount immediately.

Thanks, Isaac
Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I am still powering through at the moment. My sticking point may come in May when I have a deadline for a module I’ve been trying to catch up on in my own time as I haven’t been able to participate online that day due to looking after a little one along with trying to catch up on the back of last term due to school closures etc.

If I quit the course around that time (which I am hoping not to do as I’ve come so far and passed everything at this stage) are you able to claim a refund from the university and is that money to be paid back to student finance and taken off your balance or does the normal payment earning threshold still in place and the refund it essentially just part of your loan?

Thank you for your help thus far!!
Original post by FrancescaBrin
Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I am still powering through at the moment. My sticking point may come in May when I have a deadline for a module I’ve been trying to catch up on in my own time as I haven’t been able to participate online that day due to looking after a little one along with trying to catch up on the back of last term due to school closures etc.

If I quit the course around that time (which I am hoping not to do as I’ve come so far and passed everything at this stage) are you able to claim a refund from the university and is that money to be paid back to student finance and taken off your balance or does the normal payment earning threshold still in place and the refund it essentially just part of your loan?

Thank you for your help thus far!!

Good Afternoon Francesca,

Which payment are you referring to being refunded, the tuition fees?

Warm Regards,

Shaun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending