The Student Room Group

ULIP experiences?

Hi guys,
I was wondering if anybody had any experiences of ULIP, especially the undergraduate French course, it's so hard to find any proper information officially.
I'd be applying there as a mature student, so I'm there cause I want to study rather than merely get away from my family and drink copious amounts, I wanna, you know, learn ****...
I also want to interact with the city, so I'd rather not have too much involvement with the university directly-not have my time dominated by the course other than the reading and essay-writing I'd be doing.
So:
i) how much of it is contact hours?
ii) how much is the workload?
iii) is the workload mostly essay based?
iv)can you mostly choose your own essay titles? (obvs. within the module, and whatever they're making you study)
v) what's the education system? Is it mostly tutorial or seminar based (guessing it's seminar coz they don't say anything on the website about it)
vi) what's your opinion of the modules they make you do? Plan to combine with History so esp. that if anybody's done that.
Thanks.
Reply 1
Hi! I do IP at ULIP so can’t tell you much about the specifics of the French course but I do have friends doing it and a lot of your questions are about ULIP generally:

i) max. I’ve seen has been just under 10

ii) The workload isn’t too intense and there’s plenty of support from other students and staff. It does get a little intense towards the end of semesters as there’s often a few deadlines close together but it’s doable

iii) IP is entirely essay based but I know that French students have essays but not very many. Usually a couple in January and then the rest at the end of the year

iv) As far as I’m aware you’re given an essay question that you can then explore however you like

v) For this year it’s online recorded lectures and then seminars either in person or online depending on Paris lockdown laws/ whether you’re actually in Paris at the time

vi) Anyone I’ve spoken to doing history have loved it. But you also get a period of time at the beginning of the year to change your minor (I know some who changed to history as well!)

Also I am 20 and in first year so as a slightly older than usual student I can tell you that you won’t feel left out there’s a real age mix and enough freedom on the course that you get to spend majority of your time exploring Paris. Best of luck with your application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending