The Student Room Group

Healthcare/exception courses - exempt from gift year rule

Hi,

I'm currently using my gift year to comeplete my final year of an occupational degree after deferring last May. My course now runs from Jan 2021 - Sept 2021 but I've only been given 2 terms worth of funding.

When I rang to query this, student finance said I'd have to put in a new application for my final term as it will be considered a 2021/2022 term date. When I said I was concerned I would not be awarded any funding because I've already used my gift year (albeit 2 out of 3 terms worth of funding), I was told that that wouldn't matter as occupational therapy was an exception course, so was exempt from the gift year rule. She said they just keep giving you finance for however long it takes to complete the degree?!

This doesn't seem right, so can someone please confirm. Thanks.
Original post by gl88
Hi,

I'm currently using my gift year to comeplete my final year of an occupational degree after deferring last May. My course now runs from Jan 2021 - Sept 2021 but I've only been given 2 terms worth of funding.

When I rang to query this, student finance said I'd have to put in a new application for my final term as it will be considered a 2021/2022 term date. When I said I was concerned I would not be awarded any funding because I've already used my gift year (albeit 2 out of 3 terms worth of funding), I was told that that wouldn't matter as occupational therapy was an exception course, so was exempt from the gift year rule. She said they just keep giving you finance for however long it takes to complete the degree?!

This doesn't seem right, so can someone please confirm. Thanks.

Hi, as a returning applicant, you can't change your intake/cohort. If you originally started studying in September, you can't change to January which is why you will have only been awarded 2 terms of funding.

Occupational therapy is an exception course so you can receive funding. You couldn't just keep receiving finance, if you kept repeating years then our assessors would not award funding as I remember a case from a few years ago where an applicant repeated Nursing several times and the assessors did not award further funding due to too many repeats.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Can you explain what you mean by returning student?

I didn't start studying in Sept 2020, I suspended my studies temporarily in May 2020 due to personal reasons and have restarted it in Jan 2021. My deferred modules will now run from Jan -Sept 2021. So my final term will run from June-Sept 2021.

Can I receive funding for this final term? If so,how do I apply for it.

Thanks.
Original post by gl88
Can you explain what you mean by returning student?

I didn't start studying in Sept 2020, I suspended my studies temporarily in May 2020 due to personal reasons and have restarted it in Jan 2021. My deferred modules will now run from Jan -Sept 2021. So my final term will run from June-Sept 2021.

Can I receive funding for this final term? If so,how do I apply for it.

Thanks.

Hi, a returning student is a student that is not a new applicant.

You should apply for the 20/21 academic year.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Hi,yes I have applied for 20/21 but I've only been awarded funding for the Jan (1st) and April (2nd) term.Please can you tell me how I go about getting finance for the 3rd and final term that runs from Jun - Sept
Original post by gl88
Hi,yes I have applied for 20/21 but I've only been awarded funding for the Jan (1st) and April (2nd) term.Please can you tell me how I go about getting finance for the 3rd and final term that runs from Jun - Sept

When did your course originally start, was it September?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
My third year should have started in Sept but I deferred to start in Jan due to health issues and Covid.
Original post by gl88
My third year should have started in Sept but I deferred to start in Jan due to health issues and Covid.

What I previously stated is correct then, you can't change your intake/cohort. If you originally started studying in September, you can't change to January which is why you will have only been awarded 2 terms of funding.

Your course was originally a September start date, you returned to studying in January(2nd term).
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 8
So is there no way I can get funding for the third and final term?
Reply 9
How am I expected to pay my tution fees and living costs from June - Sept? I was told I was eligible for gift year funding. 2 terms isn't a gift year.
Original post by gl88
How am I expected to pay my tution fees and living costs from June - Sept? I was told I was eligible for gift year funding. 2 terms isn't a gift year.

You should advise your university to contact us to let us know your course ends in September.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending