The Student Room Group

What is it like to live in America?

Somewhere such as Los Angeles or New York. I would love to live near the Hollywoodland sign, is it a good area?
Original post by Leahey
Somewhere such as Los Angeles or New York. I would love to live near the Hollywoodland sign, is it a good area?

Hey, I went to New York a couple years ago and it depends on what you're like. Personally, I wouldn't want to live there. It's far too busy and getting around is a pain, the subway felt like a microwave in June haha. It's a great place for a holiday, there's tons to do but living there would be a struggle, especially with how expensive everything is.
Reply 2
Depends. Parts of Los Angeles and New York are nice, other parts are not. I agree with the above, those busy cities are nice places to visit but not somewhere I would want to live.
I live near-ish to New York which is a great deal, am able to go up for day trips every now and again but daily life doesnt have all the busyness and everything isnt as expensive.
Original post by Leahey

I live about two hours away from LA and always have. Its great there but as like any city, theres good parts and bad parts, you just gotta watch where you go. But it is kinda nice. I have been to New York as well but its very very busy there. Don't get me wrong, LA is busy too but where i live, its a smaller city and less populated. But yea I love California!!
Original post by Leahey

Pros.
The US is a huge country with a variety of climate types from temperate New England and the North East to sub tropical Florida, Hawaii and California, snowy alpine Colorado and the Rockies etc. As a US citizen you can move and work freely around the US.

House prices are quite cheap compared to the UK. $180,000 will get you a detached house with a large garden and double garage.
Beverly Hills in California however is an exclusive neighbourhood but you can get a proper house there cheaper than a luxury apartment in London!
Cost of living is cheap in terms of food and drink.
Petrol and diesel is cheap
Running a car is cheap motorists are not penalised with unfair parking charges and fines like in UK.
E Scooters are legal in most states unlike in the UK where they’re banned.

Cons.
Health care is private and expensive there is no NHS and often you have to pay up front! However what you’ve saved by cheap house prices means you can buy into a good health insurance scheme. Employers also provide medical insurance.

Unemployment benefit is not as generous as in the UK. I think after 6 months without a job you’re on your own. Any allowance stops and only food tokens are given.

Getting a work permit and thus residency visa is not easy. You need at least a degree and/or a skill that is valued in the US eg, Medicine, Dentistry, Teaching, Engineering. You will not qualify for a work permit for working in a shop or a bar lol.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ambitious1999
Pros.
The US is a huge country with a variety of climate types from temperate New England and the North East to sub tropical Florida, Hawaii and California, snowy alpine Colorado and the Rockies etc. As a US citizen you can move and work freely around the US.

House prices are quite cheap compared to the UK. $180,000 will get you a detached house with a large garden and double garage.
Beverly Hills in California however is an exclusive neighbourhood but you can get a proper house there cheaper than a luxury apartment in London!
Cost of living is cheap in terms of food and drink.
Petrol and diesel is cheap
Running a car is cheap motorists are not penalised with unfair parking charges and fines like in UK.
E Scooters are legal in most states unlike in the UK where they’re banned.

Cons.
Health care is private and expensive there is no NHS and often you have to pay up front! However what you’ve saved by cheap house prices means you can buy into a good health insurance scheme. Employers also provide medical insurance.

Unemployment benefit is not as generous as in the UK. I think after 6 months without a job you’re on your own. Any allowance stops and only food tokens are given.

Getting a work permit and thus residency visa is not easy. You need at least a degree and/or a skill that is valued in the US eg, Medicine, Dentistry, Teaching, Engineering. You will not qualify for a work permit for working in a shop or a bar lol.

Did you read where she wants to go? The average house price in New York state is over $300k. Not to mention all of the taxes at state and local government level. And why are you talking about London and Beverly Hills as if that's a good point, it's not relevant unless you're a multi-millionaire. It's difficult to get by in areas like the one OP mentioned unless you have a good job.
It was a nice place, but is going down the toilet rapidly since Biden got in

Quick Reply

Latest