The Student Room Group

Tips for losing weight?

Scroll to see replies

Hope these exercise suggestions help someone!

I really like Emi Wong she has great workouts and short workout programs so you're more likely to stick to it

Also I used to hate running but I figured that was because I thought I was bad at it...now I do 5k runs throughout the week! Definitely recommend couch to 5k :smile:

Finally, figure out when you feel the best working out. I'm more of a late afternoon/ evening workout person cos I get bored or cba doing work or get an energy slump haha
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by avso
Borris announced that we might get our summer this year, after 1 year of sitting in the house attending online lessons it's obvious that I need to lose some weight. I need some tips please or just any workout's I should try.

I lost 29kg since May 2020 from a calorie deficit so I only ate 1200 calories a day, but it is different depending on each person. I lost the first 17kg in 5 months by exercising everyday for the first 2 months, but i would only burn 200-300 calories or go on walks! I also maintained a healthy diet and low carbs. Weight is lost quite quick at the start but it gets harder towards the end. Then for the rest of the weight I lost it was without exercise, and I did end up eating more junk food because sixth form started, but I still ate smaller portions so I was still losing weight. Remember weightloss is 80% diet and only 20% exercise. Also I would recommend Gabriella Whited and April Han's thigh gap/slim thigh workout and Holly Doke's flatter stomach workout for sure! Good luck :smile:
Calorie deficit
Original post by mason.taylor.16
Calorie deficit

This is likely replying 'how to increase stamina' and you say run

OP wants to know tips to achieve a deficit
Original post by Proxenus
This is likely replying 'how to increase stamina' and you say run

OP wants to know tips to achieve a deficit

Huh
The thread was called “tips for losing weight”

Calorie deficit
Original post by mason.taylor.16
Huh
The thread was called “tips for losing weight”

Calorie deficit

losing weight can only be achieved by a deficit so what use is This to the op
Original post by Proxenus
losing weight can only be achieved by a deficit so what use is This to the op

Because it’s a tip for losing weight...?
Reply 27
Blogilates helped me to get into working out and then I did some of gabriella whited's vids? If that helps, I'd suggest doing cardio and if you eat well then it should be fine :smile:

And make sure you eat three steady meals a day at a fixed time each day bc that helps quite a bit otherwise your body can store fat if yiu tend to miss a few meals sporadically.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Jessica03
You dont need to lose your lockdown weight!!!! We survived freaking a pandemic! Dont let society tell you you need to be a skinny

ridiculous thing to say
Original post by V℮rsions
ridiculous thing to say

Why’s that
Reply 30
Original post by tinygirl96
This is a short list of ideas
Buy a pet and go on daily walks etc
Join a open air running club
Find a local proper golf school
Enrol for some adult swim classes at your local leisure centre
Use a community gym often once lockdown is ended
Order a exercise DVD from Amazon
Borrow or purchase exercise books online
Try rock climbing or dancing
See if you can take up snow sports
Research adult beginner skiing lessons online
Join a established proper tennis school or academy for adults
Start going to adult novice dance classes

Most of those are expensive, and buying a pet to lose weight would be unfair on the animal and the owner. Do they live somewhere suitable, who looks after it when the OP is back in school or college etc, what about equipment, food, insurance, vet bills? Have you not seen the news about abandoned animals during lockdown?
Why’s that

Because realistically, all we did to survive a pandemic was sit indoors all day and get chubby -- nothing to be proud of really. It's not as courageous as it seems, unless of course you were frontline working but even then, assuming you're a healthy youth theres not really much risk coming your way...

Absolutely no excuse for someone to never lose the weight, people survive many things but they still have to stay healthy..
Because realistically, all we did to survive a pandemic was sit indoors all day and get chubby -- nothing to be proud of really. It's not as courageous as it seems, unless of course you were frontline working but even then, assuming you're a healthy youth theres not really much risk coming your way...

Absolutely no excuse for someone to never lose the weight, people survive many things but they still have to stay healthy..

Ofc and I believe that Health is the most important thing. Peoples mental health has been devastated by this pandemic, and if they gained a bit of weight, who cares!! They don’t need to go on a fad diet, that lets you eat 800 calories a day, for the sakes of seeing other people.
Ofc and I believe that Health is the most important thing. Peoples mental health has been devastated by this pandemic, and if they gained a bit of weight, who cares!! They don’t need to go on a fad diet, that lets you eat 800 calories a day, for the sakes of seeing other people.

You do realise that in most cases, mental health increases with exercise and feeling better about your looks, only exceptions being when you're in plateau or if you actually have some form of mental health condition like BD or an ED which could get you down. Plus OP could be losing weight for themselves and not particularly for other people, quite an assumption. Working out is the perfect thing to return back to normal life and instil back some routine and health.

I don't know man, I think everyone is in different mental states, and not everyone is so sensitive mental health wise and some have done pretty well during lockdown and carried on, if people wish to start getting back to normal routine and build their health up then who are you to tell them they shouldn't ygm. If anything you're saying they shouldn't do something beneficial for themselves. Mental Health (specifically from lockdown) doesn't heal by just waiting it out, it heals by action and getting back to normal. The one thing damaging peoples MH has been waiting for the lockdown to be over, so waiting more doesn't sound helpful at all.

(And 800 cals would strongly suggest inexperience with dieting or some form of ED and is far too low -- so for anyone else reading this and thinking about dieting, don't do that.)
You do realise that in most cases, mental health increases with exercise and feeling better about your looks, only exceptions being when you're in plateau or if you actually have some form of mental health condition like BD or an ED which could get you down. Plus OP could be losing weight for themselves and not particularly for other people, quite an assumption. Working out is the perfect thing to return back to normal life and instil back some routine and health.

I don't know man, I think everyone is in different mental states, and not everyone is so sensitive mental health wise and some have done pretty well during lockdown and carried on, if people wish to start getting back to normal routine and build their health up then who are you to tell them they shouldn't ygm. If anything you're saying they shouldn't do something beneficial for themselves. Mental Health (specifically from lockdown) doesn't heal by just waiting it out, it heals by action and getting back to normal. The one thing damaging peoples MH has been waiting for the lockdown to be over, so waiting more doesn't sound helpful at all.

(And 800 cals would strongly suggest inexperience with dieting or some form of ED and is far too low -- so for anyone else reading this and thinking about dieting, don't do that.)

I completely understand and agree with most things you say! Losing weight for yourself/ to make yourself feel better is great, being more healthy is always the goal. My point was that you do not need to lose weight, to go back to school/ college ect, if you’re not doing it for yourself. Mental and physical health are so intwined so exercise is beneficial for everyone!

Noone ever mentioned eating 800kcals and doing it to see other people.
Original post by Iast resort
What’s ur diet like?

Fr a healthy caloric deficit will get u there
Original post by avso
Borris announced that we might get our summer this year, after 1 year of sitting in the house attending online lessons it's obvious that I need to lose some weight. I need some tips please or just any workout's I should try.

Hi there,

I really recommend going for runs. If you have a low stamina atm just run as far as you can the first time, and gradually go further each time you run. I find running is such a quick fix to get rid of bloating etc and makes you feel happy afterwards. also you could order some resistant bands? these are great for toning your thighs and bum.

Also try and cut out refined carbs wherever possible. I know its hard when all you want is a bagel/ baguette but I find bread makes me SO bloated which consequentially makes me feel fatter. Maybe have a smoothie for breakfast, a salad for lunch and then a dinner and treat yourself with a pudding? I always aim to eat healthily during the day and treat myself to a dessert

Good luck!
I'm currently on this journey tbh, the things I am doing is:

- Walking almost everyday (with the goal of eventually waking 5+ miles but I am unfit and have rubbish knees so I'm taking it a bit slower). If I don't want to go on a long walk that day, I'll walk less.
- Controlling my overeating with the use of MyFitnessPal and Fitbit. This only is working because I am eating what I WANT to eat and I am eating the recommended amount (by medical professionals) in safe conditions. And I have 1 "cheat day" in which I don't follow a strict calorie counting day (I still eat in moderation though but im a little more lenient)

I highly recommend if you are on a calorie deficit that you eat what you want to eat but in moderation. You are going to struggle an unnecessary amount if you stop eating things you enjoy such as chocolate bars.

You need to build a positive relationship with food and exercise before you can lose weight.

That being said: You don't need to lose weight for anyone or anything. Only do it if you want to do it for yourself. You are more than your weight <3
Reply 39
Original post by hannahhigginsx
Hi there,

I really recommend going for runs. If you have a low stamina atm just run as far as you can the first time, and gradually go further each time you run. I find running is such a quick fix to get rid of bloating etc and makes you feel happy afterwards. also you could order some resistant bands? these are great for toning your thighs and bum.

Also try and cut out refined carbs wherever possible. I know its hard when all you want is a bagel/ baguette but I find bread makes me SO bloated which consequentially makes me feel fatter. Maybe have a smoothie for breakfast, a salad for lunch and then a dinner and treat yourself with a pudding? I always aim to eat healthily during the day and treat myself to a dessert

Good luck!

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest