The Student Room Group

Funding second degree in medicine(a100)

Am I eligible for any funding/grant/loans? I can't afford the fees and childcare.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Any help with this please?
Original post by Mt123y
Hello
I am a mature student with a dependent child of 5 year old. I have received an offer for medicine (mbchb) 5 year course. I have previously completed undergraduate degree(beng).

Am I eligible for any funding/grant/loans? I can't afford the fees and childcare.

Hi, is this graduate entry medicine or undergraduate medicine.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 3
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, is this graduate entry medicine or undergraduate medicine.
Thanks, Isaac

Undergraduate medicine please
Original post by Mt123y
Undergraduate medicine please

You will be eligible for a Maintenance Loan only http://ow.ly/CRjh30oSeNR
No other funding will be available.
Thanks, Isaac
Original post by Mt123y
What about childcare grant or parents learning? I have a son 5 year old who is in school. Does school or after school care could could as childcare ?

Only the Maintenance Loan is available, no other funding.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Only the Maintenance Loan is available, no other funding.
Thanks, Isaac

Thanks for your response. Can you please share why the childcare grant won't be available?
Original post by Mt123y
Thanks for your response. Can you please share why the childcare grant won't be available?

childcare grant is not available as you already have gained a qualification.

As you have already gained a qualification you are only entitled to receive the Maintenance Loan.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 8
childcare grant is not available as you already have gained a qualification.

As you have already gained a qualification you are only entitled to receive the Maintenance Loan.
Thanks, Isaac

Hi Issac

The website lists childcare grant for second degrees as well. Have I misunderstood this?
Original post by Mt123y
Hi Issac

The website lists childcare grant for second degrees as well. Have I misunderstood this?

You can receive the childcare grant for certain exception courses, yes.

Undergraduate Medicine is different.

Our guidance states:

Students can receive the usual package of support available to undergraduates in their first 4 years of study (Maintenance, Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Support such as Means Testing ML, Special Support, Maintenance Grant and DSA if applicable) subject to previous study and ELQ rules.

Students who hold an ELQ will be eligible for a Maintenance Loan only for the first 4 years of their course.

As you hold a qualification already, you are only eligible for a Maintenance Loan.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending