The Student Room Group

How do you make friends??

I can't believe I'm asking this....
I'm a Y10 and Y11 in September. I'll be going into sixth form. I'm worried.

All the friends I have now, I knew them since primary. Our school is really close to my past primary school so luckily most of my friends went with me to secondary (important- both a blessing and a curse). I'm extremely awkward and shy, so I didn't make a single friend at secondary apart from them (btw, the way I made friends at primary was just by playing, but ofc I can't do that now)

I have NO clue- and I mean NO clue- what to talk about with people I don't know. I don't know how to do small talk. I'm boring. I don't know what to talk about to them. I don't know how to be funny or witty with strangers. HELPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!! Bonus points if you give an example of a normal conversation 😂

Please don't say stuff like ''just be yourself blah blah''. Give me actual examples of conversations and topics to talk about :frown: I'm so awkward I have to ask that yes

(I'm moving to another city btw)
Original post by Anonymous
I can't believe I'm asking this....
I'm a Y10 and Y11 in September. I'll be going into sixth form. I'm worried.

All the friends I have now, I knew them since primary. Our school is really close to my past primary school so luckily most of my friends went with me to secondary (important- both a blessing and a curse). I'm extremely awkward and shy, so I didn't make a single friend at secondary apart from them (btw, the way I made friends at primary was just by playing, but ofc I can't do that now)

I have NO clue- and I mean NO clue- what to talk about with people I don't know. I don't know how to do small talk. I'm boring. I don't know what to talk about to them. I don't know how to be funny or witty with strangers. HELPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!! Bonus points if you give an example of a normal conversation 😂

Please don't say stuff like ''just be yourself blah blah''. Give me actual examples of conversations and topics to talk about :frown: I'm so awkward I have to ask that yes

(I'm moving to another city btw)

When I started sixth form, I was moving to a completely new school and place too, and it is daunting but, I found that I made friends from my classes when our teachers paired us up on the tables - usually as an introduction I would speak about what school I was from, what I did over the summer, what other subjects I'm taking etc, and usually, Id find something in common with them, for example, my friend in chemistry wanted to do veterinary at uni and I want to do medicine - so we ended up just flowing a conversation from that to talking about how her parents are uni professors and what sort of places she's looking to apply to - I thing finding common ground with a stranger really helps.
If you are moving to a new city, you could ask about what the best sights, activities, places to eat there are.
hope that this sort of helps!:h: - Im super awkward with new people too, but I think that once you get a comfortable beginning topic, you can basically chat about anything with anyone!
A piece of crucial advice from someone who has gone through 2 years of sixth form with no friends:

Talk to someone, on the first day literally walk over to anyone and just say 'hi'

Plz don't have a similar experience to mine
Just be like:

you alright mate?
yeah man, what about you?
yeah yeah I'm good.
Nice man
So what subjects do you do?
[Subjects]
Oh swear, not bad still, I do [subjects]
Oh cool
Yeah.. do you know many people here or..?
Nah I've just came here
Ah swear, me too man, what you doing at lunch
I don't know, probably go to cafeteria
Oh yeah, mind if I come with you?
Nah man the more the merrier.
Original post by V℮rsions
Just be like:

you alright mate?
yeah yeah I'm good.
Nice man
[Subjects]
Oh cool
Nah I've just came here

Basically my conversations everyday also:
Go to a lesson or something
How did you find that?
Then talk... about what went on...
Just go around saying good mornin an stuff to random people...:smile: That's how I got me wife
Reply 5
Original post by V℮rsions
Just be like:

you alright mate?
yeah yeah I'm good.
Nice man
[Subjects]
Oh cool
Nah I've just came here

OH MY GOD YOU ANGEL
I LOVE YOU
THANK YOU
I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW CONVERSATIONS WORK THANK YOU
One thing though, I'm a girl. Can that still work?
Reply 6
Basically my conversations everyday also:
Go to a lesson or something
How did you find that?
Then talk... about what went on...
Just go around saying good mornin an stuff to random people...:smile: That's how I got me wife

With a subtle smile on my face or leaning on the chair and being nonchalant?
Reply 7
Original post by Bhaker_5x
When I started sixth form, I was moving to a completely new school and place too, and it is daunting but, I found that I made friends from my classes when our teachers paired us up on the tables - usually as an introduction I would speak about what school I was from, what I did over the summer, what other subjects I'm taking etc, and usually, Id find something in common with them, for example, my friend in chemistry wanted to do veterinary at uni and I want to do medicine - so we ended up just flowing a conversation from that to talking about how her parents are uni professors and what sort of places she's looking to apply to - I thing finding common ground with a stranger really helps.
If you are moving to a new city, you could ask about what the best sights, activities, places to eat there are.
hope that this sort of helps!:h: - Im super awkward with new people too, but I think that once you get a comfortable beginning topic, you can basically chat about anything with anyone!

And how did you get over the fear of them knowing you want to make friends?
What I mean by that is, when you're new and talk to people, people automatically know you're talking to them to just make friends. How do you get over that fear so it's not awkward? Thank you
OH MY GOD YOU ANGEL
I LOVE YOU
THANK YOU
I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW CONVERSATIONS WORK THANK YOU
One thing though, I'm a girl. Can that still work?

Probably :dontknow:
Reply 9
I am now making a new app about meeting new friends with same interests. Frienture
Original post by mkw7380
I am now making a new app about meeting new friends with same interests. Frienture

I'd download that when you finish :smile:
Reply 11
I'd download that when you finish :smile:

Subscribe our website to get the latest updates

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending