The Student Room Group

when to tell strict parents i am moving out

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Oh that's so clever!! It completely slipped my mind that I will for certain stay in a female-only hall, that for sure should reassure them! :biggrin: Thank you for your help! I guess a week or two would be enough to let them know beforehand... thanks once again! I was just wondering, should I just lie throughout the year about where I applied to, then drop the bomb?

If you want the extra funding from student finance you may have to tell them earlier than just a week or two because the application takes some time to process. If you don't provide their info you'll be left with less funding so it'll be more difficult for you to cope with expenses such as rent.
Original post by Kerzen
I wonder whether you would be able to apply to work in somewhere like a care home? I can see how that would stand you in good stead.

It would be great to work somewhere quite medically related, but it would be great to also gain experience in non-medical related settings too don't you think? I will look into jobs at care homes and hospices for sure though!!
Reply 62
It would be great to work somewhere quite medically related, but it would be great to also gain experience in non-medical related settings too don't you think? I will look into jobs at care homes and hospices for sure though!!

I would look at care homes and hospices but I wonder too whether there is scope to work in a hospital for a year in some capacity. Even something like portering would bring you new and useful skills.

I would start to put things into shape now, you know.

You could speak to HR at your local hospital next week to explain what you are doing and ask them for their advice. I suggest ringing them because they may take on staff like porters, cleaners and so on from agencies and knowing which agencies they use will be useful to know.

To be honest, I would get out there working sooner rather than later. Other people will be waiting for exam results to come out then approaching agencies for jobs. Be the early bird and get in there first.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by shooonthebeat
If you want the extra funding from student finance you may have to tell them earlier than just a week or two because the application takes some time to process. If you don't provide their info you'll be left with less funding so it'll be more difficult for you to cope with expenses such as rent.

Ahh okay! What should I let them know of? That my parent would not provide their info?
Reply 64
Ahh okay! What should I let them know of? That my parent would not provide their info?

You don't know that this will happen, your parents might be prepared to give the info required.

Something I would suggest is that you ask Isaac on the Student Finance England thread when you will need to apply for funding.
Reply 65
Original post by Kerzen
You don't know that this will happen, your parents might be prepared to give the info required.

Something I would suggest is that you ask Isaac on the Student Finance England thread when you will need to apply for funding.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910
Original post by Kerzen
I would look at care homes and hospices but I wonder too whether there is scope to work in a hospital for a year in some capacity. Even something like portering would bring you new and useful skills.

I would start to put things into shape now, you know.

You could speak to HR at your local hospital next week to explain what you are doing and ask them for their advice. I suggest ringing them because they may take on staff like porters, cleaners and so on from agencies and knowing which agencies they use will be useful to know.

To be honest, I would get out there working sooner rather than later. Other people will be waiting for exam results to come out then approaching agencies for jobs. Be the early bird and get in there first.

thank you! I shall go searching now then :u: Would it be alright to contact HR? Or should I just look for jobs online?
Original post by Kerzen

Thank you once again, you really have been of great help! Kind user Kerzen I salute to you :u: I will look into the student finance forum before posting : )
Reply 68
thank you! I shall go searching now then :u: Would it be alright to contact HR? Or should I just look for jobs online?

I would contact HR at the hospital.

Is there a major hospital within easy reach of where you live?

Even if your enquiries lead to 4 weeks cleaning in the hospital to cover people on leave in August, you are through the doors.
Oh that's so clever!! It completely slipped my mind that I will for certain stay in a female-only hall, that for sure should reassure them! :biggrin: Thank you for your help! I guess a week or two would be enough to let them know beforehand... thanks once again! I was just wondering, should I just lie throughout the year about where I applied to, then drop the bomb?

you’re very welcome! :heart:

tbh i think lying would make the situation worse, because it might aggravate them even more when you tell them eventually. perhaps you could tell them your first three actual uni choices, and then tell them (or insinuate) that your other two universities are in your area? the second part would be a lie (i’m assuming), but it would mean that when you tell them your decision to move out and live in uni accommodation, you can explain to them why the farther university was best for you, and it wouldn’t appear as a lie to them.

i hope that helps! xx
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Kerzen
I would contact HR at the hospital.

Is there a major hospital within easy reach of where you live?

Even if your enquiries lead to 4 weeks cleaning in the hospital to cover people on leave in August, you are through the doors.

Ahhh okay! Thank you, there is a hospital close, so I will look into contacting. Would it be appropriate to contact HR or is there perhaps a better suited department?
Original post by nightingalegend
you’re very welcome! :heart:

tbh i think lying would make the situation worse, because it might aggravate them even more when you tell them eventually. perhaps you could tell them your first three actual uni choices, and then tell them (or insinuate) that your other two universities are in your area? the second part would be a lie (i’m assuming), but it would mean that when you tell them your decision to move out and live in uni accommodation, you can explain to them why the farther university was best for you, and it wouldn’t appear as a lie to them.

i hope that helps! xx

Thank you, it sure has helped! I will let them know that I have applied to unis that are further away, just so that they are aware. Thank you once again, I really appreciate it!
Ahhhh!! Thank you! And is this something that has to be renewed every year? Or is it just done once?

You have to submit ALL parental income not just one. I also second involving school - sadly we deal with this most years and you can 'blame' them for suggesting the best unis to apply to!

You need to ask one of your parents to provide details about their income. Student finance will send them something to fill out. If your parents don't do this then you'll get the minimum maintenance loan which is around £3k for the year.
Reply 74
Ahhh okay! Thank you, there is a hospital close, so I will look into contacting. Would it be appropriate to contact HR or is there perhaps a better suited department?

It will be called something like Recruitment, Personnel or Human Resources.

What you could do now is type in the name of the hospital into Google and then the word 'vacancies' or 'recruitment'.

If you can see a suitable e-mail address for one of the recruitment people, you could send a carefully written e-mail explaining that you are taking a gap year before Medical school and would like to know whether jobs like portering and cleaning are recruited for directly or via an agency.

You could add that you will be grateful for any advice which they are able to offer.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by shooonthebeat
You need to ask one of your parents to provide details about their income. Student finance will send them something to fill out. If your parents don't do this then you'll get the minimum maintenance loan which is around £3k for the year.

Is it okay to add my mum's details even if she doesn't work? Or does it have to be a working parent?
Original post by Muttley79
You have to submit ALL parental income not just one. I also second involving school - sadly we deal with this most years and you can 'blame' them for suggesting the best unis to apply to!

Have my parents curse out my poor biology teachers instead of me, how great it would be :colone:
I thought only information from one parent is needed?
Original post by Kerzen
It will be called something like Recruitment, Personnel or Human Resources.

What you could do now is type in the name of the hospital into Google and then the word 'vacancies' or 'recruitment'.

If you can see a suitable e-mail address for one of the recruitment people, you could send a carefully written e-mail explaining that you are taking a gap year before Medical school and would like to know whether jobs like portering and cleaning are recruited for directly or via an agency.

You could add that you will be grateful for any advice which they are able to offer.

Thank you!! I think the recruitment contact details are also available on the nhs jobs site, so I will look for them now! I really am grateful for your help :h:
Have my parents curse out my poor biology teachers instead of me, how great it would be :colone:
I thought only information from one parent is needed?

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance/household-income

You must provide your household income if you apply for any of the following:

full Maintenance Loan
Original post by Muttley79
https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance/household-income

You must provide your household income if you apply for any of the following:

full Maintenance Loan

thanks! So when my parents are giving in their details, will they be able to see that I have applied for accommodation also?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending