The Student Room Group

Do teachers like students for no reason

In a non sexual, legal way.
Favouritism? Of course.
As a former teacher I can assure you that my regard for a student would be based purely on their level enthusiasm for their subject, their level of engagement and their general character. I don’t arbitrarily like or dislike any student!
Original post by Turning_A_Corner
As a former teacher I can assure you that my regard for a student would be based purely on their level enthusiasm for their subject, their level of engagement and their general character.I don’t arbitrarily like or dislike any student!

I think this isn’t the case for all teachers......

As a person who had moderate of these things you stated, when it came to writing a performance for me, my teacher always wrote something negative about me but neglected all the help that I provided. why? when I do 1 thing wrong, why is that the end of the world?
Reply 4
Original post by Turning_A_Corner
As a former teacher I can assure you that my regard for a student would be based purely on their level enthusiasm for their subject, their level of engagement and their general character. I don’t arbitrarily like or dislike any student!

Thats how it should be, but I have a friend who my physics teacher likes although she doesn’t even do her work properly or her hmw or listen in class, whereas I put lot’s of effort in my work and etc but it seems as though he doesn’t like me
Yes, in my experience some teachers just prefer certain students, for one reason or another
Yes, almost all the full time teachers I've encountered had favourites.
Many highly skilled teachers who are passionate about their subjects seem to have a radar for students who either share their enthusiasm, are highly ambitious or general high achievers that will prove to be particularly good at the subject.
Yeah it all comes down to personality at the end of the day - teacher training (I assume) isn't that vigorous as to eliminate biases in choosing favourites; I'm sure it's not encouraged though.

But yeah, if you have a good personality, or just one they like, then it's going to be easier to be liked - by anyone really not just teachers. Of course work ethic / honesty etc may contribute, after all who would enjoy someone who rejects their lessons and doesn't do the work? But at the end of the day, they're only human. Favourites happen man.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending