The Student Room Group

Insurance choice for A*AA predictions

Hi! I am predicted A*AA in my a levels and am currently researching universities to apply to. I was just wondering what grades my insurance choice should be. I was looking at unis with entry requirements of ABB but none of them particularly appeal to me so should i stick with AAB for insurance or is that too high? Thanks!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by randomperson99
Hi! I am predicted A*AA in my a levels and am currently researching universities to apply to. I was just wondering what grades my insurance choice should be. I was looking at unis with entry requirements of ABB but none of them particularly appeal to me so should i stick with AAB for insurance or is that too high? Thanks!

Hey! That’s an amazing set of predicted grades.

The advice I was given (and helped me massively) when I was applying to universities was to choose:
- 1 University that was “Aspirational”: If I excel, I will be accepted.
- 2-3 Universities that were “Realistic”: Grades that I can achieve by working at “expected levels”.
- 1-2 Universities that were “Safe”: Grades that I should be able to get even if, for whatever reason, I struggle.

Not everyone will follow that, but when thinking about your insurance choice(s), choose somewhere that you believe you are capable of achieving.

Worst case, you may be able to get into the university of your choice via clearing.
Hope this helps!
~ Mikael - UoP Student Rep :h:

How to avoid 5 rejections:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

That would usually be the choice/advice for the insurance uni: to apply with a grade lower than your predicted grades. I would say with your predictions, AAB is definitely achievable. Wishing you luck and all the best in your results and applications! :smile:

There isnt really a definite answer to this as there are so many factors. How realistic are your predicted grades as this varies between schools and teachers. 2 grades below would be pretty good if these are accurate predictions. In practice most universities tend to accept 1 or 2 dropped grades for most subjects each year. It does depend on the university and course though.

If you were to miss your insurance offer there are likely to be universities in clearing you can apply to.

The other consideration is how you would react to not having an offer and having to rush through clearing to find a different university.
Reply 5
I had the same predicted grades as you, and although I applied to some unis with AAB requirements, in the end I chose my firm choice as A*AA and my insurance choice as AAA. If you think you can achieve your predicted grades then even one grade lower for your insurance choice seems safe enough, there’s no need to underestimate yourself (though obviously if you want to be more certain to get a place then I think AAB will be fine if the unis with ABB don’t appeal to you!) :smile:
Which subject are you applying for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending