The Student Room Group

I'm tired of watching TV, what should I do?

I'm out of work for the past month and I'm not sure when I'll be able to go back.

I've seemingly damaged a tendon in my foot, so I'm not bed-bound but walking for extended periods isn't fun.

I need something to do, something to keep me engaged and entertained.

I've exhausted Netflix and Prime, I really don't care to watch another documentary (unless you have any recommendations!).

I play guitar and that's about it, Xbox also just isn't cutting it anymore.

Any suggestions on what I can do?
I want to do something productive, or at least an alternative to watching TV nonstop..

Any ideas?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm out of work for the past month and I'm not sure when I'll be able to go back.

I've seemingly damaged a tendon in my foot, so I'm not bed-bound but walking for extended periods isn't fun.

I need something to do, something to keep me engaged and entertained.

I've exhausted Netflix and Prime, I really don't care to watch another documentary (unless you have any recommendations!).

I play guitar and that's about it, Xbox also just isn't cutting it anymore.

Any suggestions on what I can do?
I want to do something productive, or at least an alternative to watching TV nonstop..

Any ideas?

If you haven’t seen it already, The Social Dilemma (on Netflix) is a brilliant documentary about the insides of the tech industry and what social media is actually doing to our society beyond increasing mental health problems and phone addictions. If you have, try reading! Ik it seems boring at first but just 30mins a day can really do wonders for the brain, especially fiction
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Do some online training courses or a Citizen Science project, learn a new language, explore museums or art galleries online, learn some interesting meals to cook, connect with some other musicians and play together over Zoom.
I recommend online courses on sites like FutureLearn or Coursera, I find them really enjoyable and they actually teach you tons of valuable skills! They have dozens of topics so there’s bound to be something you’re interested in.

As above, reading is brilliant. Your local library will have tons to offer, but you can also get lots of books for free online or as audiobooks as part of a trial subscription (another good resource - podcasts). Let me know if you need any book recs!

Alongside this, spend some time working on your guitar. You can never be perfect when it comes to an instrument, there’s always more to learn. Perhaps study some musical theory if it interests you, or compose something of your own. You can even pick up another instrument if that’s an option.

Otherwise, just learn something new! How to make jam, how to code on Python, how to grow a succulent, how to how to knit a scarf, how to write a sonnet, how to speak Italian, how to solve a Rubik’s cube, how to style bucket hats… the possibilities are endless :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest