The Student Room Group

what is true love?

What is the love that bonds people when they choose to get married and spend the rest of their lives together?
Why do people do this?

Scroll to see replies

A lowly human emotion which although has no real purpose in the wider sense of things, makes people feel strangely light and carefree.
I don't believe love is the sole reason why people are able to spend their whole lives together.
It's vague and temporary
Reply 3
Original post by Asha_m
A lowly human emotion which although has no real purpose in the wider sense of things, makes people feel strangely light and carefree.

So as it's temporary, why do people choose to marry?
Reply 4
Original post by Satori Tendō
I don't believe love is the sole reason why people are able to spend their whole lives together.
It's vague and temporary

What does it take for people to spend their lives together and why do people choose to do this?
Is it because they don't want to be lonely?
Reply 5
So what's the point of marriage and long-term partners? children and finance?
Reply 6
A lecturer once told me of her divorce, and how he met his current husband. Which was great, but she admitted that true love doesn't exist. We learn to tolerate our partner and to be more accepting of his/her flaws...
Reply 7
Sheesh. Now I am questioning why people marry and what's the point of all this?
Reply 8
Original post by fzstan21
A lecturer once told me of her divorce, and how he met his current husband. Which was great, but she admitted that true love doesn't exist. We learn to tolerate our partner and to be more accepting of his/her flaws...

Interesting, why can't people just stay single then? And why do people choose to marry again and again after each failed marriage?
Reply 9
like what?
If relationships are temporary what's the point?
Original post by Anonymous
What is the love that bonds people when they choose to get married and spend the rest of their lives together?
Why do people do this?

Sometime you meet someone and this feeling of deep chemistry or whatever words it is that humans tend to put on abstract emotions ends up taking over the you and that special someone, and you feel a sense of being safe and wanted and happiness and completeness, and you want to spend your life with that person making them feel the way you do, and grow together and trust each other and love each other despite challenges and flaws, but you care so much you want to make it work; you see the world the same way and you understand each other, and they end up meaning so much to you, that's when you know they're "the one". That's what true love is to me, you could feel that towards more than one person in your entire lifetime, sometimes it happens at sight and sometimes it grows over a longer period of time.

People go searching for it sometimes, others find themselves with that person right before their eyes. Some tend to lose them and others end up holding on to them.
Reply 11
"A willingness to overlook the flaws of others and hope they do the same for you."
What does it take for people to spend their lives together and why do people choose to do this?
Is it because they don't want to be lonely?

Humans are innately social, we crave companionship. This is proven by the fact that the effects of social isolation is pretty devastating physically and mentally.
Even though a partner isn't the only way to achieve this, they do give us the advantage of creating a family (which is something we are built to do as an instinct).
People tend to stick together because they tolerate each other's bad parts, they enjoy each other's company, the dynamics of the marriage is successful, children are able to be raised securely.

This kind of relationship is a lot more stable than one that is only fuelled by love or lust. Cuz that stuff will wear off, decrease in intensity, maybe reappear etc... It's unreliable and just essentially a burst of neural activity.
Original post by Alaska_Bear_25
Sometime you meet someone and this feeling of deep chemistry or whatever words it is that humans tend to put on abstract emotions ends up taking over the you and that special someone, and you feel a sense of being safe and wanted and happiness and completeness, and you want to spend your life with that person making them feel the way you do, and grow together and trust each other and love each other despite challenges and flaws, but you care so much you want to make it work; you see the world the same way and you understand each other, and they end up meaning so much to you, that's when you know they're "the one". That's what true love is to me, you could feel that towards more than one person in your entire lifetime, sometimes it happens at sight and sometimes it grows over a longer period of time.

People go searching for it sometimes, others find themselves with that person right before their eyes. Some tend to lose them and others end up holding on to them.

I've never felt this before :/
I've never felt this before :/

Some people feel it earlier in life, some people find it later, you're bound to feel it at some point or the other, just don't let it slip away and try just incase for it might be true and then you won't live the rest of your life in possible regret!

Don't worry bout it, you'll find some one who makes you feel that way one day, pomise
Original post by Alaska_Bear_25
Some people feel it earlier in life, some people find it later, you're bound to feel it at some point or the other, just don't let it slip away and try just incase for it might be true and then you won't live the rest of your life in possible regret!

Don't worry bout it, you'll find some one who makes you feel that way one day, pomise

is it part of human nature?
is it part of human nature?

Humans are social creatures, you'll end up finding someone you want to make a connection with and sometimes that someone would want to make a connection with you too which develops into something that words cant really explain.
Is it part of human nature? I'm not sure but I guess it is
Why do people do this?

Some people are lucky, they have good luck for sure. Taehyung went from average joe to Gucci millionaire king, nearly overnight

Joy from Red Velvet (she got to date Taehyung). She's very attractive and beautiful😍
Reply 18
Why do people do this?

it's a tradition with no real meaning, thus people divorce remarry divorce again. Muslims have four wives, it's only
a tradition. In reality men only want sex, girls want relationships
Reply 19
Why do people do this?

True love is about being able to say you will be their for the bad times as well as the good. for example saying i will hold my girlfriends hair back when she is vomiting in the toilet from drinking too much at 2am. Its not about you thinking their hot or attractive based off of them now but about them as a person like their being.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending