The Student Room Group

Muslim and I have deppression,OCD and anxiety

I am tired of the stigma in the muslim community about mental illlnesses am called a bad muslim becuse i have mental health issues am apparently a weak muslim and in some cultures mental illnesess are not even acknolged like my family dont believe in it instead i am left alone and bellitleed to the point where i want to leave the religion but i dont want ot because i believe in the quran but not the cultural things that are kindna reinforced
Hey! Firstly, lots of people have mental illnesses and it's extremely important to normalise this. Having mental illnesses does not define you as a bad Muslim, infact, the fact that you're holding on to the religion eventhough so many cultural issues are in the way is just proof of how much of a pure person you are. My advice would be to not pay attention to anyone who makes you feel worse and strengthen your relationship with Allah because he is the only one that knows how you feel all the time and he will guide you wherever you are. Pray on time and find ways to make yourself happy e.g. go shopping, cinema, walk, join the gym?
Thank you may allah reward you ameen
Hey, sorry to hear about your story, I hope you get better. I completely understand where you're coming from as I have similar things in my culture.

The first thing to give yourself a pat on the back for is recognising that the Qur'an is the truth, despite the naivety of your family causing you to be pushed away from deen. It is great that you have recognised this as, firstly, it means that you are truly a good Muslim, a Muslim that firmly believes in what is true and this really shows the purity and cleanliness of your heart, and secondly, the Qur'an is your first step inshaAllah in making a recovery :smile:

Everyone goes through some rough times, some longer than others, but for me personally, what really helped me was increasing the amount of good deeds I did. And that is not to say that you do not do good deeds, I am just speaking from personal experience.

Allah says in the Qur'an (Surah 13, Verse 28):

ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ وَتَطْمَئِنُّ قُلُوبُهُم بِذِكْرِ ٱللَّهِ ۗ أَلَا بِذِكْرِ ٱللَّهِ تَطْمَئِنُّ ٱلْقُلُوبُ

"Those who have believed and whose hearts are assured by the remembrance of Allah. Unquestionably, by the remembrance of Allah hearts are assured."

From this, we now know that by remembering Allah by doing simple dhikr, or reading some Qur'an, or listening to it, understanding it and contemplating it, etc. It will give us comfort within the heart and will help us feel at rest.

Allah also says in the Qur'an (Surah 2, Verse 286)

لَا يُكَلِّفُ اللَّهُ نَفْسًا إِلَّا وُسْعَهَا

"Allah does not charge a soul except [with that within] its capacity."

What does this exactly mean? It means that Allah does not burden a soul more than what it can handle. Therefore, everything that happens to us in our life, we have the capacity to manage and handle. This is great news for all of us!!! It means that we should take things with ease when they become difficult, and approach each difficulty by keeping our relationship with Allah strong, and knowing that Allah has got us whenever we need Him and wherever we are.

And guess what, even when Allah knows we are in difficult times, He tells us that with every difficulty comes two eases.

Surah 94, Verses 5 & 6

فَإِنَّ مَعَ ٱلْعُسْرِ يُسْرًا
إِنَّ مَعَ ٱلْعُسْرِ يُسْرًا

"So, surely with hardship comes ease."
"Surely with ˹that˺ hardship comes ˹more˺ ease."

So please do not worry, this rough patch will be over one day and inshaAllah you will feel double the amount of relief come later :smile:

Another thing I recommend is to make shukr, show gratification to Allah. Allah promises us that if we thank Him, He will increase us (in blessings, wealth, health etc)

Allah says (Surah 14, Verse 7)

وَإِذْ تَأَذَّنَ رَبُّكُمْ لَئِن شَكَرْتُمْ لَأَزِيدَنَّكُمْ ۖ وَلَئِن كَفَرْتُمْ إِنَّ عَذَابِي لَشَدِيدٌ

"And ˹remember˺ when your Lord proclaimed, ‘If you are grateful, I will certainly give you more. But if you are ungrateful, surely My punishment is severe.’"

Although now it might be very difficult to feel grateful and thankful for the things you have in life because of the situation you're in, but please just give this one a go. There are plenty of blessings we all have that we all overlook, and within those blessings are more blessings subhanAllah. So just try this by thanking Allah for the smaller stuff in life that you appreciate, and inshaAllah from there you shall reap the rewards.

One more thing I would like to note is that Allah clearly tells us how to try our best to have a good, fulfilling, blessed life. He does this by many examples, including the ones I have mentioned above. The final one I would like to mention is:

Allah says (Surah 20, Verse 124)

وَمَنْ أَعْرَضَ عَن ذِكْرِي فَإِنَّ لَهُ مَعِيشَةً ضَنكًا

And whoever turns away from My remembrance - indeed, he will have a depressed [i.e., difficult] life

Now I know this might sound like I am pointing fingers at you and only you, but truly I am not. Your family does have a role in this and their attitude towards this situation is completely incorrect due to old-fashioned cultures. But I only mentioned this to emphasise all my earlier points. I just want to ask you to take it day-by-day, and just slowly start increasing your dhikr, good deeds, prayers, Qur'an etc, and put hope and faith in Allah and trust that Allah will help you get out of this horrible situation. I pray Allah helps you and guides you and your family, and that He gives you a happy, long and fulfilling life. Ameen!

Please do forgive me if I have ever offended you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by tabulaman
Hey, sorry to hear about your story, I hope you get better. I completely understand where you're coming from as I have similar things in my culture.

The first thing to give yourself a pat on the back for is recognising that the Qur'an is the truth, despite the naivety of your family causing you to be pushed away from deen. It is great that you have recognised this as, firstly, it means that you are truly a good Muslim, a Muslim that firmly believes in what is true and this really shows the purity and cleanliness of your heart, and secondly, the Qur'an is your first step inshaAllah in making a recovery :smile:

Everyone goes through some rough times, some longer than others, but for me personally, what really helped me was increasing the amount of good deeds I did. And that is not to say that you do not do good deeds, I am just speaking from personal experience.

Allah says in the Qur'an (Surah 13, Verse 28):

ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ وَتَطْمَئِنُّ قُلُوبُهُم بِذِكْرِ ٱللَّهِ ۗ أَلَا بِذِكْرِ ٱللَّهِ تَطْمَئِنُّ ٱلْقُلُوبُ

"Those who have believed and whose hearts are assured by the remembrance of Allah. Unquestionably, by the remembrance of Allah hearts are assured."

From this, we now know that by remembering Allah by doing simple dhikr, or reading some Qur'an, or listening to it, understanding it and contemplating it, etc. It will give us comfort within the heart and will help us feel at rest.

Allah also says in the Qur'an (Surah 2, Verse 286)

لَا يُكَلِّفُ اللَّهُ نَفْسًا إِلَّا وُسْعَهَا

"Allah does not charge a soul except [with that within] its capacity."

What does this exactly mean? It means that Allah does not burden a soul more than what it can handle. Therefore, everything that happens to us in our life, we have the capacity to manage and handle. This is great news for all of us!!! It means that we should take things with ease when they become difficult, and approach each difficulty by keeping our relationship with Allah strong, and knowing that Allah has got us whenever we need Him and wherever we are.

And guess what, even when Allah knows we are in difficult times, He tells us that with every difficulty comes two eases.

Surah 94, Verses 5 & 6

فَإِنَّ مَعَ ٱلْعُسْرِ يُسْرًا
إِنَّ مَعَ ٱلْعُسْرِ يُسْرًا

"So, surely with hardship comes ease."
"Surely with ˹that˺ hardship comes ˹more˺ ease."

So please do not worry, this rough patch will be over one day and inshaAllah you will feel double the amount of relief come later :smile:

Another thing I recommend is to make shukr, show gratification to Allah. Allah promises us that if we thank Him, He will increase us (in blessings, wealth, health etc)

Allah says (Surah 14, Verse 7)

وَإِذْ تَأَذَّنَ رَبُّكُمْ لَئِن شَكَرْتُمْ لَأَزِيدَنَّكُمْ ۖ وَلَئِن كَفَرْتُمْ إِنَّ عَذَابِي لَشَدِيدٌ

"And ˹remember˺ when your Lord proclaimed, ‘If you are grateful, I will certainly give you more. But if you are ungrateful, surely My punishment is severe.’"

Although now it might be very difficult to feel grateful and thankful for the things you have in life because of the situation you're in, but please just give this one a go. There are plenty of blessings we all have that we all overlook, and within those blessings are more blessings subhanAllah. So just try this by thanking Allah for the smaller stuff in life that you appreciate, and inshaAllah from there you shall reap the rewards.

One more thing I would like to note is that Allah clearly tells us how to try our best to have a good, fulfilling, blessed life. He does this by many examples, including the ones I have mentioned above. The final one I would like to mention is:

Allah says (Surah 20, Verse 124)

وَمَنْ أَعْرَضَ عَن ذِكْرِي فَإِنَّ لَهُ مَعِيشَةً ضَنكًا

And whoever turns away from My remembrance - indeed, he will have a depressed [i.e., difficult] life

Now I know this might sound like I am pointing fingers at you and only you, but truly I am not. Your family does have a role in this and their attitude towards this situation is completely incorrect due to old-fashioned cultures. But I only mentioned this to emphasise all my earlier points. I just want to ask you to take it day-by-day, and just slowly start increasing your dhikr, good deeds, prayers, Qur'an etc, and put hope and faith in Allah and trust that Allah will help you get out of this horrible situation. I pray Allah helps you and guides you and your family, and that He gives you a happy, long and fulfilling life. Ameen!

Please do forgive me if I have ever offended you.

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending