The Student Room Group

controlling parents?

my mum is amazing but they’re always involved with everything, they check everything and they have to rule me. i am 17. can’t choose a boyfriend can’t do anything. they shout at me and go on and on. yes jm a tricky child to look after BuT i am 17. next year i will be 18.
Original post by Anonymous
my mum is amazing but they’re always involved with everything, they check everything and they have to rule me. i am 17. can’t choose a boyfriend can’t do anything. they shout at me and go on and on. yes jm a tricky child to look after BuT i am 17. next year i will be 18.

This is normal. You are a teenager. It's expected to happen. They have always been ruling you this way but as you've become a teenager it's become more noticeable say because your friends or boyfriend are not as ruled by their parents as you and you can see them having more freedom than you.

How about you work with your parents to create a positive relationship. You are soon turning 18 so are in college?. You probably have plans to do an apprenticeship or go to University and then work, correct. Then you start or try to become somewhat financially stable if not stable at least have some earnings coming in which will give you the option to leave home (if that's what you want) and rent. Keep your head and focus on yourself, your studies, hobbies and less on what your parents are doing to you and you'll be fine.

Suggest you get a partner that is not seen within close proximity to your parsnts home then, if having a partner will make you happy them DO IT!

Extra- if it gets to the extent they are being super controlling then you tell your college and they will advise you what to do and help you.

Remember you are not paying rent to live with your parents (unless you are) so really you have to abide by their house rules.
I guess you have two options - 1) Somehow convince them to give you freedoms or 2) Be Homeless
There's thousands of homeless people in uk btw

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending