The Student Room Group

UCAS help

Please can someone tell me if I am supposed to include my middle name under 'First name'. When I used the UCAS application system last year, I'm sure middle names were entered separately. Now, it just says first name but also says your name should be as it appears on official documents.

When I add my middle name too, UCAS start addressing me in their emails as though my first name is two names. Instead of writing Dear X, they write Dear X Y. I don't want the universities to do the same.

Thanks!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by maybe.
Please can someone tell me if I am supposed to include my middle name under 'First name'. When I used the UCAS application system last year, I'm sure middle names were entered separately. Now, it just says first name but also says your name should be as it appears on official documents.

When I add my middle name too, UCAS start addressing me in their emails as though my first name is two names. Instead of writing Dear X, they write Dear X Y. I don't want the universities to do the same.

Thanks!

@maybe.
Reply 2
Can anyone help?

I can't be the only person who has a middle name.

What are people in school being advised to do?
Original post by maybe.

Thanks!

UCAS used to make a nice written guide with details about each specific field. I couldn't find a recent one, but this version is two years old and has you inputting all your forename(s) in a single field.

"First/given name(s)*
Please enter your first name and middle name(s) exactly as they are stated on official documents, such as your passport, birth certificate or driving licence."

https://www.ucas.com/files/ucas-undergraduate-application-form-printed-guide
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
UCAS used to make a nice written guide with details about each specific field. I couldn't find a recent one, but this version is two years old and has you inputting all your forename(s) in a single field.

"First/given name(s)*
Please enter your first name and middle name(s) exactly as they are stated on official documents, such as your passport, birth certificate or driving licence."

https://www.ucas.com/files/ucas-undergraduate-application-form-printed-guide

Ah yes, that's the version I used last year, and it was quite clear what was expected. Also, with that version, even if you entered a middle name they automatically just used your first name in emails.

I don't know why they haven't made it clear what they want you to do with this new system. I can't find updated guidance notes either. It makes no mention of middle names. It just says 'First name' then 'Tell us who you are. Make sure your name is as it appears on any official documents, such as your passport, birth certificate or driving licence' :confused:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by maybe.
Ah yes, that's the version I used last year, and it was quite clear what was expected. Also, with that version, even if you entered a middle name they automatically just used your first name in emails.

I don't know why they haven't made it clear what they want you to do with this new system. I can't find updated guidance notes either. It makes no mention of middle names. It just says 'First name' then 'Tell us who you are. Make sure your name is as it appears on any official documents, such as your passport, birth certificate or driving licence' :confused:

That's a massive pain. I know they have changed the application portal this year, but assumed they kept the field names the same.

In all honesty, it's not going to make a huge difference if it's just a middle name that doesn't get used often, (some folk use their middle name as their preferred name). You could get it added on to your record once you are enrolled anywhere.

Failing that, you could call UCAS on Monday and see how they'd like you to enter it.
Original post by maybe.

I put down my first and middle name in the "First Name" section: my college checks UCAS applications before they're sent off to unis and they didn't have to return mine so I'm assuming that's what you're supposed to do-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending