maybe.
Badges: 8
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Please can someone tell me if I am supposed to include my middle name under 'First name'. When I used the UCAS application system last year, I'm sure middle names were entered separately. Now, it just says first name but also says your name should be as it appears on official documents.

When I add my middle name too, UCAS start addressing me in their emails as though my first name is two names. Instead of writing Dear X, they write Dear X Y. I don't want the universities to do the same.

Thanks!
Last edited by maybe.; 4 weeks ago
InfiniteWill
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by maybe.)
Please can someone tell me if I am supposed to include my middle name under 'First name'. When I used the UCAS application system last year, I'm sure middle names were entered separately. Now, it just says first name but also says your name should be as it appears on official documents.

When I add my middle name too, UCAS start addressing me in their emails as though my first name is two names. Instead of writing Dear X, they write Dear X Y. I don't want the universities to do the same.

Thanks!
maybe.
maybe.
?
Can anyone help?

I can't be the only person who has a middle name.

What are people in school being advised to do?
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Thanks!
UCAS used to make a nice written guide with details about each specific field. I couldn't find a recent one, but this version is two years old and has you inputting all your forename(s) in a single field.

"First/given name(s)*
Please enter your first name and middle name(s) exactly as they are stated on official documents, such as your passport, birth certificate or driving licence."

https://www.ucas.com/files/ucas-unde...-printed-guide
maybe.
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
UCAS used to make a nice written guide with details about each specific field. I couldn't find a recent one, but this version is two years old and has you inputting all your forename(s) in a single field.

"First/given name(s)*
Please enter your first name and middle name(s) exactly as they are stated on official documents, such as your passport, birth certificate or driving licence."

https://www.ucas.com/files/ucas-unde...-printed-guide
Ah yes, that's the version I used last year, and it was quite clear what was expected. Also, with that version, even if you entered a middle name they automatically just used your first name in emails.

I don't know why they haven't made it clear what they want you to do with this new system. I can't find updated guidance notes either. It makes no mention of middle names. It just says 'First name' then 'Tell us who you are. Make sure your name is as it appears on any official documents, such as your passport, birth certificate or driving licence' :confused:
Last edited by maybe.; 4 weeks ago
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ah yes, that's the version I used last year, and it was quite clear what was expected. Also, with that version, even if you entered a middle name they automatically just used your first name in emails.

I don't know why they haven't made it clear what they want you to do with this new system. I can't find updated guidance notes either. It makes no mention of middle names. It just says 'First name' then 'Tell us who you are. Make sure your name is as it appears on any official documents, such as your passport, birth certificate or driving licence' :confused:
That's a massive pain. I know they have changed the application portal this year, but assumed they kept the field names the same.

In all honesty, it's not going to make a huge difference if it's just a middle name that doesn't get used often, (some folk use their middle name as their preferred name). You could get it added on to your record once you are enrolled anywhere.

Failing that, you could call UCAS on Monday and see how they'd like you to enter it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (235)
57.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (52)
12.71%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (45)
11%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.8%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.4%

Watched Threads