The Student Room Group

Struggling with readings

It’s the first week of uni and so far I’ve had to do five readings for one day. Another two for tomorrow. Three for Thursday and two for Friday. I cannot keep up with this?!!!! How does everyone else manage
Original post by Anonymous
It’s the first week of uni and so far I’ve had to do five readings for one day. Another two for tomorrow. Three for Thursday and two for Friday. I cannot keep up with this?!!!! How does everyone else manage

That's not particularly unusual or uncommon for a good university - what course is it?

It sounds like you would benefit from timetabling your day to include specific slots for doing your readings - preferably dovetailing these with the lectures/seminars to which the readings relate. Twelve readings in a week is very manageable, and particularly when it's only two or three a day normally. I imagine you'll have far more starred readings as you progress through your course, so getting into good habits now will pay dividends.
Are all the readings you’ve had to do essential or were they classed as ‘recommended’?

You’ve just started so everything might seem quite overwhelming but you’ll soon pick up tricks on how to manage the workload. For example if the readings are just for seminar discussions do you need to be reading them thoroughly? Or can you just skim read?
Also make sure to be talking to your classmates to see how they’re coping. If you’re still really struggling in a few weeks, talk to your personal tutor or seminar leader.

Hi!

I usually use my free time in between lectures and seminars to read something. It would be worth going through your timetable and working this out for yourself.
These readings may not be necessary and are only recommended, so double-check this with your tutor and ask how your coursemates are getting along too. If they are recommended then at least read one for each module and see how you go from there and try and add some more.
I would also recommend going to workshops that your uni should offer. They should have one to help you with readings. They will show you how to skim read stuff to make sure you read everything that is relevant. These might seem boring at first, but they are definitely worth it in the long run and will help you a lot when it comes to writing and preparing assignments.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
That's not particularly unusual or uncommon for a good university - what course is it?

It sounds like you would benefit from timetabling your day to include specific slots for doing your readings - preferably dovetailing these with the lectures/seminars to which the readings relate. Twelve readings in a week is very manageable, and particularly when it's only two or three a day normally. I imagine you'll have far more starred readings as you progress through your course, so getting into good habits now will pay dividends.

Hi thanks. It’s been 5 days and I’m feeling much better about it all. Skim reading is a skill I need to pick up and the first day was super overwhelming. But thank you for your help
Reply 5
Are all the readings you’ve had to do essential or were they classed as ‘recommended’?

You’ve just started so everything might seem quite overwhelming but you’ll soon pick up tricks on how to manage the workload. For example if the readings are just for seminar discussions do you need to be reading them thoroughly? Or can you just skim read?
Also make sure to be talking to your classmates to see how they’re coping. If you’re still really struggling in a few weeks, talk to your personal tutor or seminar leader.

Thanks!! It was all just a bit overwhelming so I panicked and took to student room :smile: thanks for your help
Hi thanks. It’s been 5 days and I’m feeling much better about it all. Skim reading is a skill I need to pick up and the first day was super overwhelming. But thank you for your help

That's great. :smile:

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty keeping up with the readings.

A top tip I do when I'm reading articles is skim reading for any key phrases, and read around those words. Skim-reading is a skill that definitely gets better with time but if you start trying to form the habit now, in a couple of months time I'm sure you'll be a pro.

Have you made any friends on your course? It may be a good idea to chat with some of them to see how they're coping with the workload, so you learn from each other :smile: You could even all take an article each and make summaries - and share your findings!

I hope that's helpful and has given you some things to think about - best of luck to you.

Ana :biggrin:
University of Liverpool Rep.
Reply 8
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty keeping up with the readings.

A top tip I do when I'm reading articles is skim reading for any key phrases, and read around those words. Skim-reading is a skill that definitely gets better with time but if you start trying to form the habit now, in a couple of months time I'm sure you'll be a pro.

Have you made any friends on your course? It may be a good idea to chat with some of them to see how they're coping with the workload, so you learn from each other :smile: You could even all take an article each and make summaries - and share your findings!

I hope that's helpful and has given you some things to think about - best of luck to you.

Ana :biggrin:

Hi thanks for the reply! Yes it takes me too long to do the readings but after the first few days it was already getting much easier. Some of us got together on the weekend to talk about the readings so we could understand it better
Hi thanks for the reply! Yes it takes me too long to do the readings but after the first few days it was already getting much easier. Some of us got together on the weekend to talk about the readings so we could understand it better

Hi there,

That's amazing to hear - I'm glad that you're feeling a lot more confident about it.

Best of luck to you!

Ana :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending