The Student Room Group

What is a reserve list for jobs?

I've been looking for a part time to do along side school. I applied anywhere that suited my available hours (which is very few by the way, why is finding a job for students so difficult?) and was put on a reserve list. Does this mean anything, or is it a polite way of saying I probably won't get an offer? Should I continue to look elsewhere, or should I hold on hope for a week+?
Original post by kerezez
I've been looking for a part time to do along side school. I applied anywhere that suited my available hours (which is very few by the way, why is finding a job for students so difficult?) and was put on a reserve list. Does this mean anything, or is it a polite way of saying I probably won't get an offer? Should I continue to look elsewhere, or should I hold on hope for a week+?

Hello there

I am really sorry to hear that you have been struggling to find a job.

Right now the number of online and remote jobs is growing, which is great considering that these types of roles tend to be really flexible.. Here are some ideas:

- Searching for remote customer service roles: The majority of customer service jobs out there are likely to be entry-level remote jobs, as you don’t need a particular skill set to be able to do it. Most companies will be happy to teach you along the way. As long as you are friendly and are prepared to deal with customers that may be upset or difficult, then this role is perfect for you. You will mainly need to talk to people on the phone and reply to emails.

- Call center rep: Similar to the remote customer service roles, you could do this from anywhere. There are all sorts of duties you could be doing such as collecting data from customers and opening support tickets for software companies.

- Tutoring online: If there is something you are really good at and that you enjoy doing you could tutor online. My friend teaches English online, for example. He does not have any experience teaching so his classes consist of conversation.

- Proofreading and translating: If you can speak another language that is another thing you could do.

- Content writing: This may start off paying low, but the more work you do, and the better reputation you build, the higher-paying jobs you will be able to take.

And finally, not an online job, but maybe you could work as a nanny, babysitter or dog walker.

Good luck in your job search!
Best wishes
Andrea
Reserve list means that although you didn't get the job, you could be potentially offered a role should another become available. But that's not a guarantee so definitely keep applying elsewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending