The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Two degrees at the same time?

This might sound silly, but I was thinking about dong an Open University course part-time studying PPE while studying Computer Science at a normal university degree full time. Anyone done something like this before?

Although exams might clash, but I don't know if Open University does physical exam centres idk...
You would need to check with both universities. Often their regulations would not allow you to study elsewhere at the same time.

It’s a silly idea for many reasons.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
even if possible how would you pay?
a) the OU does have physical exam centres normally outside of COVID - of course with the move to online exams due to COVID, some modules may continue with that format. However you should assume they would expect you to take the exam at a proctored exam centre near you. You would have no way to resolve exam clashes and over the course of your degrees it's almost inevitable you will have at least one, which would lead to probably an automatic fail in that module.

b) as noted above, you will not get SFE funding for more than one course at a time. You would then be paying for the second course out of pocket. Do you have the money to do this? Is it worth it, financially?

c) also as noted, unis may have regulations about being registered at more than one institution unless you are part of a formal dual degree/exchange programme.

d) the workload is impractical and will likely lead you to marginalise at least one if not both courses. Quality means more than quantity.

(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
a) the OU does have physical exam centres normally outside of COVID - of course with the move to online exams due to COVID, some modules may continue with that format. However you should assume they would expect you to take the exam at a proctored exam centre near you. You would have no way to resolve exam clashes and over the course of your degrees it's almost inevitable you will have at least one, which would lead to probably an automatic fail in that module.

b) as noted above, you will not get SFE funding for more than one course at a time. You would then be paying for the second course out of pocket. Do you have the money to do this? Is it worth it, financially?

c) also as noted, unis may have regulations about being registered at more than one institution unless you are part of a formal dual degree/exchange programme.

d) the workload is impractical and will likely lead you to marginalise at least one if not both courses. Quality means more than quantity.

All of the above.
Plus England has a cap in how many credits you can study a year so unlikely to be allowed to do it in any case.
Original post by artful_lounger

Good point. I guess I'll just do one at a time. Get a job then do the open university on the side.
Original post by ajj2000
even if possible how would you pay?

In all honesty, I haven't even thought about that. Oh well you got me lmao

Quick Reply

Latest