The Student Room Group

UCAT (formerly UKCAT) 2023 entry discussions megathread

Last year's thread (2022 entry)

Important: read this first https://www.ucat.ac.uk/

Dates for this cycle (click on link for official UCAT site from which dates were taken)

24 May 2022 - You can make your account and Bursary and Access Arrangement applications open

20 June 2022 - Booking opens

11 July 2022 - Testing starts

20 September 2022 - Access Arrangement application deadline

22 September 2022 - Booking deadline

29 September 2022 - Last test day

30 September 2022 - Bursary Scheme application deadline

15 October 2022 - UCAS deadline

Early November 2022 - Results delivered to universities

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

FAQs:

Spoiler

(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Wayyyyy too early to start thinking about the UCAT. Trust me--don't let it cross your mind until Easter at the earliest. The medicine application cycle is about ten months long (e.g. from booking the UCAT to my last interview) and you should relish the time you have now where you can get away without thinking about it.
Original post by KA_P
@A_J_B @becausethenight
Would you be able to help in making a 2023 entry UCAT thread? I looked through the Medicine forum page and couldn't find one already made. Have I missed it?🙈

Dates for this test cycle:
https://www.ucat.ac.uk/about-ucat/ucat-test-cycle/

Unless has made one already, I think you have successfully made one :biggrin:
In terms of doing the first post etc you can edit your post to make it the 'first post', if you want?
Original post by gingur
Wayyyyy too early to start thinking about the UCAT. Trust me--don't let it cross your mind until Easter at the earliest. The medicine application cycle is about ten months long (e.g. from booking the UCAT to my last interview) and you should relish the time you have now where you can get away without thinking about it.

I would agree, but suspect this is probably around the right time for the megathread, as many applicants do not know this and will want to start discussing it :tongue:
Original post by becausethenight
Unless @ecolier has made one already, I think you have successfully made one :biggrin:
In terms of doing the first post etc you can edit your post to make it the 'first post', if you want?

Alright :lol:

I made it after an international student was looking to sit the UCAT but had no information. Sadly I can't tag them since they were on Anon, I think I might just link this thread in the thread they made :biggrin:
Original post by KA_P
Alright :lol:

I made it after an international student was looking to sit the UCAT but had no information. Sadly I can't tag them since they were on Anon, I think I might just link this thread in the thread they made :biggrin:

Perfect :smile: I edited your post just to add a few extra details too :yes:

If you tag me in their thread, I imagine both are <20 posts so I can merge them?
Subbing (I'll probably need it again :colondollar:)
Perfect :smile: I edited your post just to add a few extra details too :yes:

If you tag me in their thread, I imagine both are <20 posts so I can merge them?

Thank you 🤗 I've tagged you in their thread but I think their thread is >20 posts
Original post by KA_P
Thank you 🤗 I've tagged you in their thread but I think their thread is >20 posts

Ah cool, in that case just direct them here - sorry I thought it would be shorter!
Ah cool, in that case just direct them here - sorry I thought it would be shorter!

Don't worry! I've directed them, ig I'll never know if they arrive since they're Anon aha, I sent you a doc on the Wiki update thread btw :biggrin:
Original post by KA_P
Don't worry! I've directed them, ig I'll never know if they arrive since they're Anon aha, I sent you a doc on the Wiki update thread btw :biggrin:

PRSOM, I've replied :smile:
Reply 12
Which UCAT book is the best to buy if I'm going to sit my exams in 2022?
Reply 13
Original post by Thiru01

honestly i don't recommend a book look at medify its better in my opinion
Original post by Thiru01

Hi,

I don't recommend books as it can be hard to track your progress and learn your weaknesses as you'll be repeating the same questions over and over again.

If you're interested in some help prepping for the UCAT, at Medic Mind we have amazing experienced tutors, who scored in the top 10%, that can teach you tricks on how to ace the exam and help with your personal statement and interview prep. We offer 1-1 tutoring tailored to your needs and have a great variety of resources, question banks, tutorials and books you can access on our portal. If you want more information, I highly suggest you check us out here!

Venessa
Medic Mind
For people who have previously sat the UCAT exam, how long before would you recommend preparing? If you search it people seem to recommend starting to prepare 6-8 weeks before, but a couple of people at my school have already started fully preparing nearly 6 months before. So I'm now worrying whether I'll be ready on time if I start around 8 weeks before I sit it?

Has anyone also got any tips that aren't that talked about, that will help other people sitting it this year even if they don't help me?
Original post by 16DuffyE
For people who have previously sat the UCAT exam, how long before would you recommend preparing? If you search it people seem to recommend starting to prepare 6-8 weeks before, but a couple of people at my school have already started fully preparing nearly 6 months before. So I'm now worrying whether I'll be ready on time if I start around 8 weeks before I sit it?

Has anyone also got any tips that aren't that talked about, that will help other people sitting it this year even if they don't help me?

obviously this is purely anecdotal but i only prepped for 4 weeks and i still got a really good score (3090 b1), and even by the end of that i felt kind of burnt out so if i had done anymore prep it definitely would’ve stressed me out and maybe even affected my score. there is a point in ucat prep where you just cant improve anymore- once you are familiar with the question types and have learnt some tricks to get faster, theres nothing else you can do really. ultimately i think it depends on the person, different people need different amounts of prep, but imo 8 weeks is kinda overkill.

as for other tips, theres not much to say that hasnt been said already. during my ucat i took off my hoodie and then the invigilator came up to me and told me i couldnt leave it on my chair, so i had to give it to him. this probably ate up about a minute of time so my tip is to not do this and take off your hoodie beforehand lol.
I'm looking to take the UCAT this summer.

When people say 6-8 weeks to prepare are we talking a few hours a day, dedicating a whole working day? I work in the NHS already with busy on calls so I'm unsure of when to start my prep. I don't want to fall into the trap of over preping which I have read several people mention. If I started 2-3 months before (keeping in mind I am working full time +on calls so will have less time) do people think this would be overkill? Also, in what way does overpreparing damage your score? Is it a burnout type affect, do people overthink the questions or something else? Thank you
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by gittinsell
I'm looking to take the UCAT this summer.

When people say 6-8 weeks to prepare are we talking a few hours a day, dedicating a whole working day? I work in the NHS already with busy on calls so I'm unsure of when to start my prep. I don't want to fall into the trap of over preping which I have read several people mention. If I started 2-3 months before (keeping in mind I am working full time +on calls so will have less time) do people think this would be overkill? Also, in what way does overpreparing damage your score? Is it a burnout type affect, do people overthink the questions or something else? Thank you

It's a burn out type effect. Once we pass the stage of peak performance, it can start declining as we've become burnt out.
Reply 19
Original post by Medic Mind
Hi,

I don't recommend books as it can be hard to track your progress and learn your weaknesses as you'll be repeating the same questions over and over again.

If you're interested in some help prepping for the UCAT, at Medic Mind we have amazing experienced tutors, who scored in the top 10%, that can teach you tricks on how to ace the exam and help with your personal statement and interview prep. We offer 1-1 tutoring tailored to your needs and have a great variety of resources, question banks, tutorials and books you can access on our portal. If you want more information, I highly suggest you check us out here!

Venessa
Medic Mind

isn't it against TSR rules to offer to sell stuff

Latest

Trending

Trending