The Student Room Group

Not going to Medical School - what to say to my parents?

Hi Guys,
I recently got a place to study Medicine after all the hard works but I have made my decision to not study Medicine. This is because I was rejected couple of times and during my gap years I have started my Real Estate business and now I'm making more than what a Registered Surgeon makes. This really change my direction but I don't know what to say to my parents cuz they really supported me in this journey.
Any suggestions?
Original post by AQ1002
Hi Guys,
I recently got a place to study Medicine after all the hard works but I have made my decision to not study Medicine. This is because I was rejected couple of times and during my gap years I have started my Real Estate business and now I'm making more than what a Registered Surgeon makes. This really change my direction but I don't know what to say to my parents cuz they really supported me in this journey.
Any suggestions?

Hi there

Be honest about you're true thoughts and feelings and see how it goes. Tell them your future goals and ambitions relating to your business which shows you've thought things through and have a clear plan for life.

Also please inform the med school asap so the place can be given to another student
Best wishes for the future :smile:
"Mum, dad, I've realised that I already earn more than a surgeon does, so I won't be going to university, I'll be carrying on with my business."

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
Original post by TriplexA

Also please inform the med school asap so the place can be given to another student

OP withdraw the offer from ucas

So the waitlist students get a chance
Original post by CaptainDuckie
OP withdraw the offer from ucas

So the waitlist students get a chance

Thanks I forgot about this! :smile:
Original post by AQ1002
Hi Guys,
Any suggestions?

Sounds like you already know what to say. I'm curious to know what an unregistered surgeon makes though?
Reply 6
Money and status talks. As soon as you show them the figures to prove you're making more than a surgeon does, then they will back off. It seems a shame that you've decided not to do Medicine after you've already worked so hard to get in and achieved a place. But if you're making better money right now than you would after 5 years of med school and 10 years to become a consultant, there's really no point going. Overall it sounds like you made the right decision.
Original post by Democracy
Sounds like you already know what to say. I'm curious to know what an unregistered surgeon makes though?

I read 'unregistered surgeon' as 'butcher'. So about £30-£40k with experience.
Original post by asif007
Money and status talks. As soon as you show them the figures to prove you're making more than a surgeon does, then they will back off. It seems a shame that you've decided not to do Medicine after you've already worked so hard to get in and achieved a place. But if you're making better money right now than you would after 5 years of med school and 10 years to become a consultant, there's really no point going. Overall it sounds like you made the right decision.

Doesn't that rather assume that the only germane consideration on whether or not to study medicine is the money?
Original post by Reality Check
Doesn't that rather assume that the only germane consideration on whether or not to study medicine is the money?

It's the only consideration they mentioned, so presumably it is for them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending