The Student Room Group
Original post by alicelilley
So it turns out that the deadline for applying for student finance was the 20th of May. No one made me aware of this and the school didn’t tell anyone else - they found out from family members and friends.

Maybe I’m just stupid but how the **** was I supposed to know this
I might not be able to go to uni now bc I won’t get my money on time

You say that other people "found out from family members and friends". Who has been helping you with the application process so far?

If you've been doing it without help from a parent or someone more knowledgeable than yourself, then that can't have been very easy. Unfortunately, that makes you responsible for doing the necessary research. If you've been receiving guidance from a parent etc., then it was their responsibility to make themselves (and then you) aware of this deadline - as with all the other deadlines associated with applying to university.

However, I agree that it would have been useful if your school had mentioned it too.
It's still worth applying now. Although you've missed the deadline for being guaranteed to get it on time, there's still a good chance that you will get it on time.

It would have been good if your school/college had made you aware. But this is good practice for uni, where you'll be expected to track all your deadlines yourself.
It ISNT a deadline.

Its the date that guarantees that you will have funding in place before you start your course - and actually the reality is that anyone applying to SF before mid-July will have their funding all set up by then as well. You can still apply - so there is no need to be this dramatic. Just get onto it and do it asap.
Original post by McGinger
It ISNT a deadline.

Its the date that guarantees that you will have funding in place before you start your course - and actually the reality is that anyone applying to SF before mid-July will have their funding all set up by then as well. You can still apply - so there is no need to be this dramatic. Just get onto it and do it asap.

Okay thank u lol. My parents were basically just shouting and telling me I’m not going to be able to go to uni now which scared me a lot
Original post by DataVenia
You say that other people "found out from family members and friends". Who has been helping you with the application process so far?

If you've been doing it without help from a parent or someone more knowledgeable than yourself, then that can't have been very easy. Unfortunately, that makes you responsible for doing the necessary research. If you've been receiving guidance from a parent etc., then it was their responsibility to make themselves (and then you) aware of this deadline - as with all the other deadlines associated with applying to university.

However, I agree that it would have been useful if your school had mentioned it too.

Well we have a teacher who helps us with our application, and when I was applying to Oxford I got a lot of support for the personal statement and interview. But as soon as that finished I got nothing. The school goes on about their extensive support for uni yet they didn’t tell anyone we were supposed to do this.
I also only found out that I was supposed to apply for accommodation (which I did in time) because my politics teacher mentioned it in a lesson, which the whole class was confused about
Well we have a teacher who helps us with our application, and when I was applying to Oxford I got a lot of support for the personal statement and interview. But as soon as that finished I got nothing. The school goes on about their extensive support for uni yet they didn’t tell anyone we were supposed to do this.
I also only found out that I was supposed to apply for accommodation (which I did in time) because my politics teacher mentioned it in a lesson, which the whole class was confused about

Hi, do you apply for student finance in year 13?
Original post by Nithu05
Hi, do you apply for student finance in year 13?

Yes! I think after you pick ur firm and insurance from ur offers

unrelated but are you applying to Oxford ? Which degree?
Also good luck with the student finance ordeal : )
Original post by araya.simms
unrelated but are you applying to Oxford ? Which degree?
Also good luck with the student finance ordeal : )

I did apply to Oxford but I didn’t want to go and I got rejected anyway! It was for Classical Archaeology and Ancient History

Thank you :smile:
The only help I got from my school for my uni application was a 2 page photocopied leaflet so I had to do it all myself (with a bit of prompting from parents to find out what I needed to do and lots of help from TSR 😁) but once I had applied on ucas I saw information about applying on the UCAS hub and also had several emails from ucas and saas which mentioned finance, or invited to online events on how to apply for student finance. Once I firmed there were more emails. Thats how I knew, noone told me.

I have an unconditional offer so have already applied for and have a student bank account with a 0% £1000 overdraft for first year, can you get one of these to see you through if you loan is late and pay back the over draft once it arrives? Also get a PT job (or two!) over the summer and save.
Reply 11
Yes! I think after you pick ur firm and insurance from ur offers

Can I just say just apply now asap and you will probably be fine.Make sure after you apply your parents are ready with their finance details with P60s for salaries.Once you have done your bit they will contact your parents who will have to set up Sfe accounts.
My son and daughter were useless at putting in their second and third year applications on time but they did get their money on time.Be warned you need a couple of weeks money yourself as money is paid after you start.

Latest

Trending

Trending