The Student Room Group

I feel like I am grieving, can I rely on alcohol to make me forget?

I am grieving over my past and despite it being against my religion I want to rely on alcohol
Reply 1
Alcohol won't help. See your GP.
Bad idea. It won't help.
so what is the point of alcohol even existing?
Original post by Anonymous
so what is the point of alcohol even existing?

Well it makes already happy people feel even happier (temporarily) which they enjoy.

it's not at all good for unhappy people though.
---
See if there's any self-referral therapy in your area (postcode lottery unfortunately)
https://patient.info/treatment-medication/self-referral/refer-yourself-for-nhs-talking-therapy-counselling

GP referral would be the traditional route, but the GP service in a lot of the UK is on it's knees at the moment and you'll struggle to get an appointment.
It'll only ever make you forget in the moment, most of them, some of them... then it will throw it all in your face in a howling onner.

Grief fades when faced and processed, not drowned.
Original post by StriderHort
It'll only ever make you forget in the moment, most of them, some of them... then it will throw it all in your face in a howling onner.

Grief fades when faced and processed, not drowned.

My past only haunts me when I am doing things to move on with my life. When I am lying in bed doing nothing, theres nothing to remind me of those events.
Original post by Joinedup
Well it makes already happy people feel even happier (temporarily) which they enjoy.

it's not at all good for unhappy people though.
---
See if there's any self-referral therapy in your area (postcode lottery unfortunately)
https://patient.info/treatment-medication/self-referral/refer-yourself-for-nhs-talking-therapy-counselling

GP referral would be the traditional route, but the GP service in a lot of the UK is on it's knees at the moment and you'll struggle to get an appointment.

talking about my problems helps a bit but also makes me feel worse talking about it.
Original post by Anonymous
talking about my problems helps a bit but also makes me feel worse talking about it.

Afaik they're mostly CBT rather than psychoanalysis like you see in the movies where go over past experiences.

The aim of CBT is to train your mind not to dwell on negative or upsetting thoughts.

Quick Reply

Latest