The Student Room Group

Failing second year nursing assignments but passing placement?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Qaali123
I’m going back to my university which is a Russell Group and can often be far stricter when it comes to passing academics. You just have to think about it like this it’s been a tough few years for student nurses, and a lot of us are going through stress that has often caused a decline in our studies. Nursing anywhere is very full on course, and believe me your tutors and other teachers are very understanding in cases like this you just have to keep them informed it’s not too late in my opinion the year doesn’t start till September you have all of July and August to get it sorted so don’t panic just yet. Right now what you’re doing is good you’re contacting teachers to let them know what’s going on, private message me and then I can let you know what else I done in order to pass my appeal and also take time off to get my self sorted.

whichever of the circle jerk groups a HEI belongs to has zero impact with Pre-registration courses as its the Registration body that has far more say.
Update:

So i got in touch with my tutor and explained everything that had been going on throughout the year and how it had affected me mentally and my ability to perform well on my assignments. I also, discussed how I felt really anxious about seeking support as it was so late into the academic and the response from my tutor was very positive, i also seeked help on my failed assignments from module tutors.
Furthermore, I applied for mitigating circumstances with evidence from my uni counsellor who I got into contact with and I am currently still having sessions with her. I also got advice from the programme advisory team and my course lead. All was going well but then suddenly I fell ill and hospitalised so was unable to submit my assignments in august for the resubmission date and was given a further attempt this month. I also obtained evidence of this and put in a second mitigating circumstances claim for this reason. As I had more than one assignment to resubmit I was given an option to take a gap year and submit the assignments throughout the year with support if required by module leads.

I would like to thank everyone who advised me to get in touch with my uni within this thread. I overcame my fear and did everything possible i could to secure my place on the course regardless of how late i reached out for help. I am so glad I did and the outcome was far better than I had imagined because if I had not notified my uni of what was going on or left it even later I may not be a uni student right now and may have been permernantly withdrawn fro the course

Although i am unable to progress into year 3 and continue with the rest of my peers and will have to take a year out and submit those assignments it has motivated me to thrive and become the best possible version of myself this year and work on my mental health and focus on the work that needs to be submitted and achieving other goals this year too. I am even starting to look for a job whilst also doing bank shifts at the hospital as a student nurse so that I don't lose my skills. I believe this might be better for me so that i can go into my final year doing much better within myself.

I want to advise you all to not leave it to late in getting in touch with uni, your tutor, anyone to help with your situation. Also, if you are struggling with your mental health, academic work, physical health or anything please reach out for help and support as soon as you can. From personal experience I know this isn't always easy as said but once you do it trust me it will only benefit you, noone can help you if you don't help yourself first and take the first step in reaching out. Its always better sooner rather than later but it is still never too late.

I hope everyone in similar situations this year is aware of what they are doing and where they standing within their course and the outcome is a positive one. I wish you all the best, make sure you appeal or apply for mitigating circumstances asap if not done so already.

If you have any further questions, i'm happy to answer and help if I am able to x x
Original post by icecream2021
Update:

So i got in touch with my tutor and explained everything that had been going on throughout the year and how it had affected me mentally and my ability to perform well on my assignments. I also, discussed how I felt really anxious about seeking support as it was so late into the academic and the response from my tutor was very positive, i also seeked help on my failed assignments from module tutors.
Furthermore, I applied for mitigating circumstances with evidence from my uni counsellor who I got into contact with and I am currently still having sessions with her. I also got advice from the programme advisory team and my course lead. All was going well but then suddenly I fell ill and hospitalised so was unable to submit my assignments in august for the resubmission date and was given a further attempt this month. I also obtained evidence of this and put in a second mitigating circumstances claim for this reason. As I had more than one assignment to resubmit I was given an option to take a gap year and submit the assignments throughout the year with support if required by module leads.

I would like to thank everyone who advised me to get in touch with my uni within this thread. I overcame my fear and did everything possible i could to secure my place on the course regardless of how late i reached out for help. I am so glad I did and the outcome was far better than I had imagined because if I had not notified my uni of what was going on or left it even later I may not be a uni student right now and may have been permernantly withdrawn fro the course

Although i am unable to progress into year 3 and continue with the rest of my peers and will have to take a year out and submit those assignments it has motivated me to thrive and become the best possible version of myself this year and work on my mental health and focus on the work that needs to be submitted and achieving other goals this year too. I am even starting to look for a job whilst also doing bank shifts at the hospital as a student nurse so that I don't lose my skills. I believe this might be better for me so that i can go into my final year doing much better within myself.

I want to advise you all to not leave it to late in getting in touch with uni, your tutor, anyone to help with your situation. Also, if you are struggling with your mental health, academic work, physical health or anything please reach out for help and support as soon as you can. From personal experience I know this isn't always easy as said but once you do it trust me it will only benefit you, noone can help you if you don't help yourself first and take the first step in reaching out. Its always better sooner rather than later but it is still never too late.

I hope everyone in similar situations this year is aware of what they are doing and where they standing within their course and the outcome is a positive one. I wish you all the best, make sure you appeal or apply for mitigating circumstances asap if not done so already.

If you have any further questions, i'm happy to answer and help if I am able to x x

Thanks for the update on things with you and university.
Glad you have sorted it out and you have a result from it.

Hopefully you will qualify as a nurse still although later than you wanted to but at least you know the situation about getting back.

Learn from this with leaving everything to last minute and as you said almost not able to continue with the nursing course. Don't do that again if you get into that situation again okay. Deal with issues lot quicker and also make sure you are communicating with your course leader's if you have any further issues about your course work.

You'll be a far better nurse once you get back after this. Use the Gap year to concentrate on the work you have to do regarding assignments etc and then look forward to getting back to university and placements to complete your degree.

Keep us updated on how you getting on.

Good luck in meantime.
How did you pass your appeal? I’m in a situation where my mothers mental health issues affected me, I passed everything and did my placement hours except failing my last assignment. I’m also in my last year
Original post by Emily_B
Unfortunately, it's your responsibility to ensure that your PAD is fully, correctly completed. It is also your responsibility to chase your mentor to complete and sign everything they need to - your mentors have no responsibility for the completion of your PAD, therefore it's your fault for not having pushed them to complete it for you.
Talk to the university about re-sitting 2nd year, and start asking other universities if there's any chance of transferring.

Im not getting a straight answer off anyone...they are just saying i cant reapply...they wont tell me if thata now or ever
Original post by icecream2021
Update:

Good to hear

are you the original poster?
Original post by InArduisFouette
whichever of the circle jerk groups a HEI belongs to has zero impact with Pre-registration courses as its the Registration body that has far more say.

Never said that it has an impact, I said it’s harder when it comes to assignments and that’s just factual information. I have nursing friends around the country so I’m able to compare my experiences to theres. One example being my university caps late assignments at 40% while my friends universities cap them for 10 percent each day the assignment is late, this is far more lenient then what I am use to and for that reason I have often times regretted going to a Russell Group. I am very aware that the registration after you finish is exactly the same and I’ve just made it harder for myself. I don’t know why people get so defensive the moment you mention an RG but I only mentioned it because it was part of the difficulties I faced not to sound Elitist.
Reply 27
This happened to me, i failed 2 essays on my second year of mental health nursing, nd i was kicked out, other universities say I need to start from scratch, but I really don’t think that’s my only option, what else do you think I can do please.
Original post by Anonymous
hello, i'm worried i will fail my second year of nursing due to all resubmissions due to stress and alot going on this year and not being able to focus or have motivation but I am doing really in placement and placement has been like my peace and escape this year. I loved all my placements and i'm sure I will pass the practice side of the course.

Does anyone know what will happen if I fail my assignment resubmissions but pass placement? Will I have to retake the whole of second year again or will I be kicked of the course? I am so worried. I feel like if I have to retake the whole year again I will as I will be in a better position and hopefully put this past year and everything that has gone on behind me and achieve higher by prioritising uni, but if I can't deal with being kicked of the course that will have a huge impact on my mental health :frown: I understand if I fail resubmissions I won't be able to progress into third year but I don't want to be kicked off the course. Do you think it is likely i would be withdrawn or be able to retake the whole year and would I have to complete the whole placement aspect too?

please help x x

Hello,

I hope you're well. I completely understand where you're coming from, when your mental health isn't great it is hard to perform well academically. It is best to have an open and honest conversation with the head of your course/module leaders to find out what will happen in this situation. I am unable to properly advise you as I do not know your universities policies, however it is normally the case that you may have to redo the year if you are unable to provide the work. I would also advise in the future, to try and apply for extensions or deferrals under mitigating/exceptional circumstances to give you that little bit of extra time to be able to submit your work. I am wishing you all the best for the future, have faith in yourself!

Kind regards
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 29
U got kicked out and still appealed, how long after getting kicked out did u take to appeal?
Original post by Qaali123
Hey, I had a similar problem where I failed a bunch of nursing assignments in my second year. I think the work load and assignment can get a bit much and it’s a huge jump from first year. I went onto to resubmit my work and failed one of my resubs which essentially got me kicked out of university, at this point I didn’t want to carry on I was so down so I wasn’t even going to appeal. In the end I did appeal and I took a long interruption to sort my life now I’m going back to 3rd in September because I love nursing and there’s nothing more I want to do and life sometimes happens and we all make mistakes this is why I’m telling you all of this because you aren’t alone now I’m going to tell you what you should do. If all your assignments are at the same time don’t be afraid to mitigate you should always let the university know what you are going through instead of submitting work that could lead to you possibly failing. This was my biggest problem and if you are like me and you’re going through the same thing please get in touch with your student advice team and counselling team at your university. Also if the stress is getting to you, speak to your GP and your tutors so you can have all of it documented in case you need proof of mitigation or if needed a reason to appeal. We are students and sometimes things can get too much that’s why support is there please use it. If this all works hopefully they’ll be able to give resubmission periods that are not close together so you can focus on different assignment or if you’ve already submitted and worst comes to worse you fail. Now what you need to do is get in touch with your module leads or lectures on each assignment you failed, they are here to help you and they are the best to go to if you want to insure you pass the second time round. Set up meeting with them so they can get help you understand what you need to change to get the pass. Hope things work out for you
Reply 30
Hello ,
How are you
I was studying mental health nursing at the university of Southampton, I was on my second year, but then I went on a repeat year and still failed the 2 assignments.
I was told I could appeal.
But the decision to withdraw me from my course was made in August 2022. We in September 2023, and after a long break, I feel mentally fit to deal with this and go back to my studies, but I would rather not start from scratch. Is there any advice you could help me with please?
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi Everyone,
I have experience suspending studies for 8 months and returning and taking retakes of assignments, so if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them in this thread.
Carina :smile: - Student Nurse
University of Southampton Ambassador
Reply 31
Original post by Kyk23
U got kicked out and still appealed, how long after getting kicked out did u take to appeal?

Quite soon without going into my private life some really bad things happened and my mentor and lecturers knew about it so they encouraged me to appeal and take a year off. Which helped a lot
I am in a simmilar situation but in 3rd year. I definately feel you. I know this was posted last year. I hope things worked out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending