The Student Room Group

Crushing in on my Crush: What do I do next

Hello I am crushing hard on my crush and there are clear signs that the feelings that we have for each other can be reciprocated back, from early signs of being curious to knowing if I was present at work to the excitement and smile visualised on her face when she heard she’ll be working with me to the funny facial expressions that I was giving off towards her to her caring nature of my safety and not wanting me to get hurt at work, to even gentle scrubs of cleaning off like dust or bits of cardboard on my polo shirt. What do I do next? We last worked together two days ago, I utilised the opportunity to get to know her more, speaking about our families, hobbies and interests in which we share, and revelation of the fact the university she’ll potentially will be attending is the one I’m already attending now and her excitement yet shock on her face when heard but her saying I can show her around on campus and make her feel settled and welcomed… What do I do next? Yes there’s signs but I want to be extremely careful this is a beautiful, polite and well-mannered sweet girl who I find extremely adorable and cute to work with, talk with and she is just completely humorous, lively, cheerful and that gorgeous smile on her face, what are my next steps because she’s luring my heart away ♥️.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hello I am crushing hard on my crush and there are clear signs that the feelings that we have for each other can be reciprocated back, from early signs of being curious to knowing if I was present at work to the excitement and smile visualised on her face when she heard she’ll be working with me to the funny facial expressions that I was giving off towards her to her caring nature of my safety and not wanting me to get hurt at work, to even gentle scrubs of cleaning off like dust or bits of cardboard on my polo shirt. What do I do next? We last worked together two days ago, I utilised the opportunity to get to know her more, speaking about our families, hobbies and interests in which we share, and revelation of the fact the university she’ll potentially will be attending is the one I’m already attending now and her excitement yet shock on her face when heard but her saying I can show her around on campus and make her feel settled and welcomed… What do I do next? Yes there’s signs but I want to be extremely careful this is a beautiful, polite and well-mannered sweet girl who I find extremely adorable and cute to work with, talk with and she is just completely humorous, lively, cheerful and that gorgeous smile on her face, what are my next steps because she’s luring my heart away ♥️.

The first step is to clarify that she actually likes you back. It's sweet how nicely you describe her and I really hope things go well for you. However, don't make any assumptions no matter how clear you think things are. I had a guy thinking I liked him for two years. He invested two whole years into a 'crush-ship' when I just thought he was a close friend. He never thought to ask me the simple question 'do you like me romantically?'. Some people are just very friendly and very caring individuals. She hasn't done anything flirtatious, in my opinion. It's not unusual to show excitement or joy when a friend is working with you or schooling with you. I don't mean to rain on your parade. I just don't want you to get your hopes up so high till you're absolutely sure. It's very important to get verbal confirmation.

If you think it's too soon to ask, keep being there for her and treating her well. But make sure you ask that question before embracing those romantic dreams.
Original post by DarylO
The first step is to clarify that she actually likes you back. It's sweet how nicely you describe her and I really hope things go well for you. However, don't make any assumptions no matter how clear you think things are. I had a guy thinking I liked him for two years. He invested two whole years into a 'crush-ship' when I just thought he was a close friend. He never thought to ask me the simple question 'do you like me romantically?'. Some people are just very friendly and very caring individuals. She hasn't done anything flirtatious, in my opinion. It's not unusual to show excitement or joy when a friend is working with you or schooling with you. I don't mean to rain on your parade. I just don't want you to get your hopes up so high till you're absolutely sure. It's very important to get verbal confirmation.

If you think it's too soon to ask, keep being there for her and treating her well. But make sure you ask that question before embracing those romantic dreams.

My colleague who I’m closest friends with had several conversations with her utilising the opportunity of being able to know what she knew about me to telling my crush for example the financial support of my parents that I do on a regular basis, and the type of person that I am hardworking, well-mannered and polite and introverted like herself and she was impressed, she obviously showed from her facial impressions the happiness and smile after she heard she’ll have the opportunity to see me which gave her the opportunity to work with me.

As to when to ask her when should I because my closest colleague friend has obviously took notice and can tell we both like each other and even says that we are perfect for one and other because we compliment and hold the exact same traits just like each other.
Reply 3
My colleague who I’m closest friends with had several conversations with her utilising the opportunity of being able to know what she knew about me to telling my crush for example the financial support of my parents that I do on a regular basis, and the type of person that I am hardworking, well-mannered and polite and introverted like herself and she was impressed, she obviously showed from her facial impressions the happiness and smile after she heard she’ll have the opportunity to see me which gave her the opportunity to work with me.

As to when to ask her when should I because my closest colleague friend has obviously took notice and can tell we both like each other and even says that we are perfect for one and other because we compliment and hold the exact same traits just like each other.

You still haven't asked her directly. Expressing happiness because she can spend time with you is not enough to go daydreaming about building a life with her. You need to shake yourself out of that lovestruck stupor and ask her directly. I don't mean to be harsh but I want you to get that 'she smiles at me, she must like me' thought out of your mind so you don't get hurt, please.

Also, don't go off hearsay or third-party accounts. My closest friends have thought I was in love twice and had a crush five times. I've never even liked anyone. They are not her. I can't tell you the best time to ask her because I don't know. It's like a game of luck. If it's too soon and she only sees you as a friend, it could scare her away completely. If it's too late and she actually likes you, she could move on. That risk is up to you but it's a risk you must take at some point. However, if you haven't spent much one-on-one time with her, I would say try to do that more, drop verbal hints that you like her as more than a friend; then, ask if she likes you back.
Original post by DarylO
You still haven't asked her directly. Expressing happiness because she can spend time with you is not enough to go daydreaming about building a life with her. You need to shake yourself out of that lovestruck stupor and ask her directly. I don't mean to be harsh but I want you to get that 'she smiles at me, she must like me' thought out of your mind so you don't get hurt, please.

Also, don't go off hearsay or third-party accounts. My closest friends have thought I was in love twice and had a crush five times. I've never even liked anyone. They are not her. I can't tell you the best time to ask her because I don't know. It's like a game of luck. If it's too soon and she only sees you as a friend, it could scare her away completely. If it's too late and she actually likes you, she could move on. That risk is up to you but it's a risk you must take at some point. However, if you haven't spent much one-on-one time with her, I would say try to do that more, drop verbal hints that you like her as more than a friend; then, ask if she likes you back.

So the key question is to find out face to face, what examples of verbal hints may I and would I and should I drop?
the only way to know is if u ask her
Reply 6
So the key question is to find out face to face, what examples of verbal hints may I and would I and should I drop?

Yup. That's it.

As for the verbal hints, there's no formula to relationships. Let it happen naturally so you don't creep her out. Like if she smiles at something you say, instead of thinking 'wow, such a gorgeous smile', you could say 'you have a nice smile'. Start with impersonal compliments like that which don't emphasize your attraction too much. Then, gradually, introduce personal compliments like 'I like your smile' so she becomes aware that it's not just that her smile is nice, it's that you find her smile nice. If you're thinking 'I really like spending time with her', say it. Basically, let some of those nice thoughts out every now and then. Don't overdo it, though by bombarding her with them every day.
Original post by DarylO
Yup. That's it.

As for the verbal hints, there's no formula to relationships. Let it happen naturally so you don't creep her out. Like if she smiles at something you say, instead of thinking 'wow, such a gorgeous smile', you could say 'you have a nice smile'. Start with impersonal compliments like that which don't emphasize your attraction too much. Then, gradually, introduce personal compliments like 'I like your smile' so she becomes aware that it's not just that her smile is nice, it's that you find her smile nice. If you're thinking 'I really like spending time with her', say it. Basically, let some of those nice thoughts out every now and then. Don't overdo it, though by bombarding her with them every day.

So are we talking like every now and then basis…
Reply 8
So are we talking like every now and then basis…

Don't overthink about it. Just interact as you've always been interacting. It sounds like you've been doing that just fine. Talk as often as you've been talking. Remain yourself. Give her the attention you want to give her. You don't have to act differently or reduce contact with her. Just gradually introduce the idea of liking her romantically before asking the question. That's all.
Reply 9
Btw, I just have to add that it's so cute how much effort you're willing to put into this. It shows how much you care. I do hope things work out :h:
Original post by DarylO
Don't overthink about it. Just interact as you've always been interacting. It sounds like you've been doing that just fine. Talk as often as you've been talking. Remain yourself. Give her the attention you want to give her. You don't have to act differently or reduce contact with her. Just gradually introduce the idea of liking her romantically before asking the question. That's all.

Remain calm, collective and composed sorry 😞 but I blush around her, bide time as it goes along and wait for the right moment…
Remain calm, collective and composed sorry 😞 but I blush around her, bide time as it goes along and wait for the right moment…

😂 I won't judge. It's understandable. Goodluck on your quest for love. I hope it goes well.
Original post by DarylO
Btw, I just have to add that it's so cute how much effort you're willing to put into this. It shows how much you care. I do hope things work out :h:

Thank you so much, she’s just amazing. I really feel like there’s something here I know that for there to be something I need to know how she feels for me but there really could be a true love story and I would do everything and anything for her and I mean it to keep her happy, to be there to support and help her in times when she wants and needs me the most. Thank you so much 💯♥️.
Original post by DarylO
😂 I won't judge. It's understandable. Goodluck on your quest for love. I hope it goes well.

Thank you.
Do what other people do when they are interested in a relationship and ask her on a date, away from the rarefied atmosphere of work. But first, take off the rose-tinted spectacles, be objective and relax. You come across an over-thinker, with your emotional and flowery posts. Shared hobbies and traits, and the same uni, don't make you necessarily compatible; in fact, it can be just the opposite, such as when you are both people-pleasers, indecisive, and it turns into a "you decide", "no, you decide" situation. Could you carry a 5-hour dinner date, maintaining not only a conversation but also the silences? That was my second date with my now long-term boyfriend. We have far more differences than things in common, but it works. Be open-minded...
Original post by Surnia
Do what other people do when they are interested in a relationship and ask her on a date, away from the rarefied atmosphere of work. But first, take off the rose-tinted spectacles, be objective and relax. You come across an over-thinker, with your emotional and flowery posts. Shared hobbies and traits, and the same uni, don't make you necessarily compatible; in fact, it can be just the opposite, such as when you are both people-pleasers, indecisive, and it turns into a "you decide", "no, you decide" situation. Could you carry a 5-hour dinner date, maintaining not only a conversation but also the silences? That was my second date with my now long-term boyfriend. We have far more differences than things in common, but it works. Be open-minded...

I can’t necessarily ask her on a date, but I’ll try and keep it informal by asking if she wants to grab a coffee or something. What do you mean by open minded I’m a little curious please.
I can’t necessarily ask her on a date, but I’ll try and keep it informal by asking if she wants to grab a coffee or something. What do you mean by open minded I’m a little curious please.

You asked what to do next with this girl; why can't you ask her on a date? You're better off knowing now how you get along than leaving it until uni, when she'll have lots of other new and interesting people and experiences surrounding her.

You're putting all your eggs in one basket and deciding this girl is 'it' because you have so much in common. Don't take it further with that attitude and let it blind you to any incompatibilities or faults. Great if it happens; it's a lovely story, and I met my boyfriend at work. But be realistic and understand in future that it's sometimes a lot of chalk and cheese that make for a relationship.
Original post by Surnia
You asked what to do next with this girl; why can't you ask her on a date? You're better off knowing now how you get along than leaving it until uni, when she'll have lots of other new and interesting people and experiences surrounding her.

You're putting all your eggs in one basket and deciding this girl is 'it' because you have so much in common. Don't take it further with that attitude and let it blind you to any incompatibilities or faults. Great if it happens; it's a lovely story, and I met my boyfriend at work. But be realistic and understand in future that it's sometimes a lot of chalk and cheese that make for a relationship.

It’s just like religious purposes, because we both are strictly practicing and I don’t want to make things awkward for either of us, otherwise people will then think we are going out, so with all due respect I need to be aware of the boundaries and to not cross it, I would have to dig further and I am because I would do anything for her.
It’s just like religious purposes, because we both are strictly practicing and I don’t want to make things awkward for either of us, otherwise people will then think we are going out, so with all due respect I need to be aware of the boundaries and to not cross it, I would have to dig further and I am because I would do anything for her.

So what was the point of this thread, and why didn't you give us the relevant information instead of asking "what do I do next about my crush?" If it's a religious thing, only you can decide what to do. And isn't going out for coffee the start of other things? You're gushing about this girl, people are already putting you together, you want to hang out together at uni... Either dial it down or ask her on a date. You're old enough to decide, she's got the freedom to work and go to uni, how else will you get to know her?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending