The Student Room Group

Please explain the process of learning to drive - extremely confused

We've been trying to work this out for several months now and are still at a total loss as to where to start and what we need/don't need and how we're meant to do all of this.

Please explain the full and entire process of learning to drive and getting a driving license like we're stupid, because we probably are. Every single source we look at tells us something different, and they're also never helpful as to where and how we're actually meant to get x or y permit or whatever else.

Where do I start? What permits do I need to start learning to drive? Where do I find a driving instructor? We've discussed that most of my driving education will be done by an instructor as my mother is an absolutely terrible teacher. How many lessons do I need before I'm able to take the test? Hell, how old do I even need to be to do all of this, because none of the sources have been clear on that either? Are you allowed to practice with a family member in between lessons?

I appreciate this is an incredibly stupid series of questions to be asking, but we're not from this country and I'm sure getting a driving license in Poland in the 90s-2000s was very different from getting a driving license here and now. We're just incredibly confused as to who we should believe and what we actually need to do.
First you need a provisional drivers licence - this allows you to take lessons, sit your theory test and finally sit your practical test.

You can get driving instructors from one of the big schools like Red or Bill Plant etc or look locally for more independent ones, all should be able to provide a suitable car to teach you it and I'd expect fees to be about £25-30 an hour (ask people you know who they passed with and recommend)

As a rough average you should expect 30-40 hours tuition to pass.

You can basically start at 17, there are some exceptions for people on mobility allowances etc who can start at 16 I think, but 17 for most.

You can practice in a parents car but they need to be present and have insurance to teach you (I think you can get this in your own name too, but not sure, never had it myself, just google learner insurance)
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
First you need a provisional drivers licence - this allows you to take lessons, sit your theory test and finally sit your practical test.

You can get driving instructors from one of the big schools like Red or Bill Plant etc or look locally for more independent ones, all should be able to provide a suitable car to teach you it and I'd expect fees to be about £25-30 an hour (ask people you know who they passed with and recommend)

As a rough average you should expect 30-40 hours tuition to pass.

You can basically start at 17, there are some exceptions for people on mobility allowances etc who can start at 16 I think, but 17 for most.

You can practice in a parents car but they need to be present and have insurance to teach you (I think you can get this in your own name too, but not sure, never had it myself, just google learner insurance)

so can i also take my test at 17 or do i have to wait until i'm 18 for that? also, a lot of what we've seen is talking about a learner's permit - what's that for?
Original post by zeasea
so can i also take my test at 17 or do i have to wait until i'm 18 for that? also, a lot of what we've seen is talking about a learner's permit - what's that for?

You can take your test at 17 however it’s not likely you’d a) be ready yet b) be able to get a test. You must sit and pass your theory before you can book a practical test. You must also apply for your provisional licence before you can start learning to drive :smile:
Original post by zeasea
We've been trying to work this out for several months now and are still at a total loss as to where to start and what we need/don't need and how we're meant to do all of this.

Please explain the full and entire process of learning to drive and getting a driving license like we're stupid, because we probably are. Every single source we look at tells us something different, and they're also never helpful as to where and how we're actually meant to get x or y permit or whatever else.

Where do I start? What permits do I need to start learning to drive? Where do I find a driving instructor? We've discussed that most of my driving education will be done by an instructor as my mother is an absolutely terrible teacher. How many lessons do I need before I'm able to take the test? Hell, how old do I even need to be to do all of this, because none of the sources have been clear on that either? Are you allowed to practice with a family member in between lessons?

I appreciate this is an incredibly stupid series of questions to be asking, but we're not from this country and I'm sure getting a driving license in Poland in the 90s-2000s was very different from getting a driving license here and now. We're just incredibly confused as to who we should believe and what we actually need to do.

You can start to learn at 17. You need your provisional drivers license to start. You find your driving instructor by destructing for some online snd finding one you like the sound of/has good reviews/fits your price range.

The number of lessons needed varied on you and how hard you find driving. I took 2 and a half years but my dad taught me. You can practice with an adult but they have to be over 21 and have to have been driving for 3 years
Original post by zeasea

Learners permit is American we use the term provisional license
Reply 6
Original post by flamingolover
Learners permit is American we use the term provisional license

right okay that makes more sense now, thanks!
Original post by zeasea

Yep at 17, if you are old enough to get the provisional licence you're old enough to be tested for the full one. And yea provisional is just our way of saying learner permit.
You can apply online to the DVLC for your provisional licence and you will need a passport style photo to scan.
Reply 9
Hi. This link from the government website breaks it down step by step.

https://www.gov.uk/learn-to-drive-a-car

Only other thing i would mention is that if you are looking to do this now I am aware that there are still a lot of hold ups in the system because of covid. Like getting lessons and test dates etc. So it takes a bit longer then it used to unfortunately.

Hope this is useful, and good luck !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending