The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

What's best for someone who has no intention of competing in Olympic lifting, but just wants to be powerful and explosive, and get good carry over to the deadlift?

When The Strongest Shall Survive arrives soon, I'll have a read of Starr's power clean technique. And I'll experiment as well.
Reply 241
Sub'd.

Did an injury stop your progress?

rippetoe says the way oly lifters do it isn't the best way to be strong just the best way to lift the most weight. You powerclean in SS mainly to aid the squat too, I think
Illness.
Reply 243
Fibromangina: A Mandemic!!!
The only thing i don't understand about the PC is the bit where you're supposed to bring you hips forward as part of the triple extension but surely that makes you bounce something - i thought that was bad....oh well..:biggrin:
Smack
What's best for someone who has no intention of competing in Olympic lifting, but just wants to be powerful and explosive, and get good carry over to the deadlift?

You should probably sort out your deadlift technique first before thinking about learning how to Powerclean. That alone can add kg's.
Reply 246
cowsforsale
The only thing i don't understand about the PC is the bit where you're supposed to bring you hips forward as part of the triple extension but surely that makes you bounce something - i thought that was bad....oh well..:biggrin:

With proper form the bar will bounce off your quads, just hope the bounce hits low enough to not catch your balls
Herr Stamper
You should probably sort out your deadlift technique first before thinking about learning how to Powerclean. That alone can add kg's.

What are you trying to say? :biggrin:

I'll get all my techniques sorted out soon, though.
Good luck
So either tomorrow or Friday I'll have a a session with the aims of finding out where I'm at on bench press, and then probably spend like aaaages learning up power cleans. I'll take the book with me to the gym.
Was meant to go to gym today to test out bench press and start practising cleans. Never happened. Fourier Series Friday = me spending the whole day doing Fourier Series.
Sadly still no gym today. Haven't lifted since '09. :frown:
Bill Starr's book, The Strongest Shall Survive, came today. Haven't had a chance to read anything yet, although I've skimmed through some of the pages. The pictures look a bit YMCA, but that's to be expected for a '70s book.
Reply 253
Do you have Jan exams?
Aye. Three.
Reply 255
Stop reading Starr's. I have mine in April and I'm already slightly freaking out.

Are you ready?
I've only skimmed through the pictures.

I don't know if I'm ready or not. I've been doing a lot of revision, but not nearly as much as I hoped. :frown:
Reply 257
Some days, I have literally been sitting at my desk with all my books and notes, all day, and not doing one scrap of work. :sigh:

I don't know what the **** is wrong with me. I've done a little work the last couple of days, but now it's the end of the holiday and I've gone over probably 25% of my first terms stuff. 2nd term is almost twice as much work as 1st term. I'm an idiot and I think I probably do need ritalin or something. Maybe not technically, but I'll need something to dig myself out of this hole.

Well, as long as I keep at it from now on, I should manage to pass. Last year I did NO work until about a month or two out. I can't do that this year. I wish they'd hurry up and just qualify me already. :mad:
SMed
Some days, I have literally been sitting at my desk with all my books and notes, all day, and not doing one scrap of work. :sigh:

I don't know what the **** is wrong with me. I've done a little work the last couple of days, but now it's the end of the holiday and I've gone over probably 25% of my first terms stuff. 2nd term is almost twice as much work as 1st term. I'm an idiot and I think I probably do need ritalin or something. Maybe not technically, but I'll need something to dig myself out of this hole.

Well, as long as I keep at it from now on, I should manage to pass. Last year I did NO work until about a month or two out. I can't do that this year. I wish they'd hurry up and just qualify me already. :mad:

I'm the same.

The weather's a bit better now so I'm off to the library, where there are no distractions, no nothin'.
Just ordered myself from Ironwork III's tonight.

Quick Reply

Latest