The Student Room Group

Episode at work

Hello. I have autism anxiety and a muscle condition, i am fit to work etc. Been under a lot of stress exhaustion lately with like bereavement anniversarys (recent), family member having an operation done although not as major I Am extremely worriedand just really hieghtened my anxiety. So esssentlu been crying every evening but trying to keep a brave face for work. Work has caused some stress because essentky I'm scared I'm going to lose me job or no one wants me there after i guess just been unlucky with chest infections.

Today though id fell over and this left with Mr a cut to arm and headache went into work thinking I'll be okay with some paracetamol but it didn't help. Essentially ended up crying having a panic attack mild in front if the headteacher as she was called over to me by another member of staff. And she had sent he home saying you shouldn't have come in but by stuff then seemingly had popped off somewhere. But now I'm over thinking it all one is she annoyed? Two, is this going to pull me down? Three embarrassed.

But if guess with the headache and the stress anxiety it just happened. School are aware of my conditions, collegues are partly aware of the anxiety I've been under but one person is like you need to try and move on and get over it. What can i do? I almost feel a lot if today was due to faking it to long. I'm on meds. Do you reckon they'll just find a way of booting me out.

My anxiety makes me not want to work but i need to work and having this job matters to me.
Original post by unknownforever
Hello. I have autism anxiety and a muscle condition, i am fit to work etc. Been under a lot of stress exhaustion lately with like bereavement anniversarys (recent), family member having an operation done although not as major I Am extremely worriedand just really hieghtened my anxiety. So esssentlu been crying every evening but trying to keep a brave face for work. Work has caused some stress because essentky I'm scared I'm going to lose me job or no one wants me there after i guess just been unlucky with chest infections.

Today though id fell over and this left with Mr a cut to arm and headache went into work thinking I'll be okay with some paracetamol but it didn't help. Essentially ended up crying having a panic attack mild in front if the headteacher as she was called over to me by another member of staff. And she had sent he home saying you shouldn't have come in but by stuff then seemingly had popped off somewhere. But now I'm over thinking it all one is she annoyed? Two, is this going to pull me down? Three embarrassed.

But if guess with the headache and the stress anxiety it just happened. School are aware of my conditions, collegues are partly aware of the anxiety I've been under but one person is like you need to try and move on and get over it. What can i do? I almost feel a lot if today was due to faking it to long. I'm on meds. Do you reckon they'll just find a way of booting me out.

My anxiety makes me not want to work but i need to work and having this job matters to me.

You could always email the Head teacher and explain your situation. An email gives you time to prepare what you want to say, to make sure it only contains the necessary details, and remains polite and positive. You can strip out the emotion.

So you might begin by saying something like 'As I have disclosed, I have autism and this leads to issues with anxiety'.

Then you might explain that there are other issues going on, for example 'In recent weeks, I have come under increased pressure at home, following a bereavement, the anniversary of a death and a relation being in hospital for an operation'.

Then explain the context of the actual incident, so 'On this day, I had fallen over in the morning, and had cut myself and I also had a headache. I took some pain relief and hoped that would be enough to make me fit for work. I am aware there may be concerns about my absences, so it is important that I turn up for work if I am at all able to.

Then acknowledge that it didn't work, but immediately explain how you are trying to resolve the issue, for example' Unfortunately, I still felt very anxious when I got to work and this led me to having a panic attack, which is why I was sent home. I am actively trying to overcome my anxiety by ...(whatever you are doing)... and being able to work is an important part of my improvement. I very much enjoy my work at the school, but I do realise that I need to continue to work on my anxiety and my reliability.'

If you send something along those lines, then you will have explained the situation and shown you are aware but working on the issues. This should help the school if they do have concerns.
Original post by threeportdrift
You could always email the Head teacher and explain your situation. An email gives you time to prepare what you want to say, to make sure it only contains the necessary details, and remains polite and positive. You can strip out the emotion.

So you might begin by saying something like 'As I have disclosed, I have autism and this leads to issues with anxiety'.

Then you might explain that there are other issues going on, for example 'In recent weeks, I have come under increased pressure at home, following a bereavement, the anniversary of a death and a relation being in hospital for an operation'.

Then explain the context of the actual incident, so 'On this day, I had fallen over in the morning, and had cut myself and I also had a headache. I took some pain relief and hoped that would be enough to make me fit for work. I am aware there may be concerns about my absences, so it is important that I turn up for work if I am at all able to.

Then acknowledge that it didn't work, but immediately explain how you are trying to resolve the issue, for example' Unfortunately, I still felt very anxious when I got to work and this led me to having a panic attack, which is why I was sent home. I am actively trying to overcome my anxiety by ...(whatever you are doing)... and being able to work is an important part of my improvement. I very much enjoy my work at the school, but I do realise that I need to continue to work on my anxiety and my reliability.'

If you send something along those lines, then you will have explained the situation and shown you are aware but working on the issues. This should help the school if they do have concerns.

Thanks for reply. That's really helpful. The thing is i had an episode so ran to the toilets which no one really was aware of an such apart from those that saw but then had another episode in front of the headteacher.at which she gave authorisation for me go home mainly on the basis becaise Id fell over i was in year's panicking etc bit shy prob throught this was because of me falling over when actually it was a mix of things.
I ended up speaking to the headteacher last week and let her know that I've been struggling. She was okay and kind of seems to have understand but she was like there isn't much we can do, speak to your GP.
Spoke to the GP she's refered me to quote a few people just wait and see what happens. Ibut the GP was like you need to speak to school and ask them to make adjustments such as breaks or something or having someone to approach it work.
See what it's like when i go back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending